1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting Problems, need help quick!!

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by boostfed, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Jul 30, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    boostfed

boostfed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    STOCK!
    Hi everyone,

So I have a 2.4l that's having a few issues. I just swapped out the timing chain ( had the start up rattle) , switched out all the belts and did a complete ignition haul. I found out during the job that the guide rails were fine and that the tensioner was bad. also when pulling the plugs, the gap was at .045 - .050 , eeek, no wonder the thing was so sluggish.

Now I have an issue, when i just finished a few hours ago, the car started and idled fine, it also drove better than ever besides stalling out once for no reason. I drove it for 3-5 miles , making stops, letting it idle and turning it on and off and going, all was well.... As I pull into my driveway, I back up and park it there, my driveway is pretty steep as well ( and the truck is reversed in). As I go to start it , the car just turns and turns and turns, no ignition, I'll sit there and crank away but nothing. I eventually push started it and it went and I got it back into he garage. Since my garage is level, the truck starts normally now . It's not the strong fireup I imagined with all new ignition but it starts fine. What could be the issue? Should I be worried because of the prior gapping issue? It's at the correct gap .032 now and not sure if the prior ignition timing affects it now, I tried adjusting the timing through the distributor but didnt know how, does anyone have any clues as to what's happening? Hope someone can help!!!! Thanks.

2. Aug 1, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    boostfed

boostfed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    STOCK!
    so now i'm having another issue. i was driving to work this morning and all of a sudden the car died out. everything was fine when i started it up, idled fine and everything seemed normal, about 3 miles later as i was coming to a stop, the car just stalled out, i ended up pushing it to a nearby gas station. The start now doesnt work whatsoever, i let the car cool until a buddy could come by but still nothing, the starter had no click and no noise. i push started the car and it worked, the the idle was now super crappy, idling at about 500ish and pretty rough, i drove home with it stalling out 2 more times but the starter worked again, any ideas what this could be? has anyone run into this before? i searched but have yet to find anyone with the symptoms as mine. Hope someone can help!

Products Discussed in

To Top