Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Starting Problems, need help quick!!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
boostfed is on a distinguished road
boostfed's Tacoma Gallery
Question Starting Problems, need help quick!!

Hi everyone,

So I have a 2.4l that's having a few issues. I just swapped out the timing chain ( had the start up rattle) , switched out all the belts and did a complete ignition haul. I found out during the job that the guide rails were fine and that the tensioner was bad. also when pulling the plugs, the gap was at .045 - .050 , eeek, no wonder the thing was so sluggish.

Now I have an issue, when i just finished a few hours ago, the car started and idled fine, it also drove better than ever besides stalling out once for no reason. I drove it for 3-5 miles , making stops, letting it idle and turning it on and off and going, all was well.... As I pull into my driveway, I back up and park it there, my driveway is pretty steep as well ( and the truck is reversed in). As I go to start it , the car just turns and turns and turns, no ignition, I'll sit there and crank away but nothing. I eventually push started it and it went and I got it back into he garage. Since my garage is level, the truck starts normally now . It's not the strong fireup I imagined with all new ignition but it starts fine. What could be the issue? Should I be worried because of the prior gapping issue? It's at the correct gap .032 now and not sure if the prior ignition timing affects it now, I tried adjusting the timing through the distributor but didnt know how, does anyone have any clues as to what's happening? Hope someone can help!!!! Thanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
boostfed is on a distinguished road
boostfed's Tacoma Gallery
so now i'm having another issue. i was driving to work this morning and all of a sudden the car died out. everything was fine when i started it up, idled fine and everything seemed normal, about 3 miles later as i was coming to a stop, the car just stalled out, i ended up pushing it to a nearby gas station. The start now doesnt work whatsoever, i let the car cool until a buddy could come by but still nothing, the starter had no click and no noise. i push started the car and it worked, the the idle was now super crappy, idling at about 500ish and pretty rough, i drove home with it stalling out 2 more times but the starter worked again, any ideas what this could be? has anyone run into this before? i searched but have yet to find anyone with the symptoms as mine. Hope someone can help!