New guy buying 2011 Tacoma 4 Cyl Prerunner Double Cab

Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Romadpinchy is on a distinguished road
Air Force: TACP
Name: Michael
Romadpinchy's Tacoma Gallery
Post New guy buying 2011 Tacoma 4 Cyl Prerunner Double Cab

Hello all,

I have some questions and am new to the Tacoma world but know I will get the best help from those who own these rigs, so please bear with me.

I am looking to buy a 2011 Tacoma I4 Prerunner Double Cab short bed, no need for the V6 as I do not off-road, haul heavy loads, or tow things, the only thing I will haul is my Yamah R6, my questions I need answered to determine if I will be investing money in this truck are-

Power- does this vehicle hold enough power to haul my 415lb Yamaha R6 in the bed and go over highway hills or have 4 people in the truck and still go over highway hills, (auto only in the I4 model double cab)

Package- I dont do any off-roading so what package would you guys recommend? I did feel some stiff suspension in the TRD vs the SR5 and will be using this truck to do 3-4 hour trips, but people like the TRD packages so what would be most comfortable?

MPG- Everybody asks about it, will the double cab prerunner model for a 4 Cyl be affected at all? Maybe adding a 1-2in lift and the 16in alloy wheels nothing fancy

Tires/Suspension- I saw the 15in tires on a regualr double cab and that sealed the deal for the prerunner double cab model for me, what would be the biggest tires I would want to go without lifiting the truck more than 2in for 16-17in rims?

Money is not an issue with this truck as I will be investing in it for the long haul so thank you in advance for all your comments
Old 08-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on what your expectations of the truck are. The truck will be able to haul a bike just fine. Just don't expect your truck to be a rocket. I would highly recommend taking a LONG test drive. Load the bed up and see how she does in your opinion.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You aren't going to be going anywhere fast stock and you will be even slower if you lift. In the mountains with 4 people you will need a RPMs to get you up. The truck has enough power to move your bike and it will return good MPGs while doing it though.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I couldn't even begin to imagine a doublecab with the I-4. The V6 is slow enough as it is...
Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
lowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Papa Kurt
lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
Go v6 power when you need it. I4 is a slow turd with any kinda lift
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
so if I were to scratch the lift and just keep the Prerunner suspension, (9.3in I believe) the truck would be fine?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Speeeeeeeed
cevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Cesar
cevaes's Tacoma Gallery
theres plenty of power in that truck for all that! its not a speed rocket but it wont let you down either.. Toyota already did that math for us and decided to go ahead with it. I own one and im getting 22.5 mpg now, I can Pull a boat with 4 adults in it i can go to 75mph with no issues at all. its not a V6 you have to understand that but it will be fine
Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Cevaes and tombiology70,
do you guys like the feel of the suspension of the truck? I noticed Cevaes you have a TRD, tombiology70 didnt see your suspension, have you done any long trips with the truck? When I test drove both the SR5 and the TRD the SR5 felt much more comfortable, but the TRD has the sports bucket seats that feel good,what are your thoughts? I will be doing many 3-4 hour trips hauling my bike and want to make sure I'm not sitting on real stiff suspension,
Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
the truck will be fine hauling the R6. it wont be a speed demon but it wont be that bad. The prerunner has 16" wheels. 15s only fit on the base non 4x4 non prerunner

my truck is lifted and armored and only weighs 200# less than the doublecab i4 now. Istill get 21mpg and have put my gsxr1000 in the back, or 2 300lb scooter with my wife in the truck to the beach and back up no problem. if your in no hurry and keep the speed at 65 on the highway youll be fine.

Im happy with my 4banger. i do have a few mods like drop in AFE airfilter, magnaflow exhaust, and synthetic oil all help a little
Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
...and today my fuel light popped on at 496 miles on the trip odometer

I'm happy, just turned 4.000 miles and couldn't be happier.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/litegide/tacoma?fu=1581702

Old 08-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #11
Speeeeeeeed
cevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of lightcevaes is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Cesar
cevaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romadpinchy View Post
Cevaes and tombiology70,
do you guys like the feel of the suspension of the truck? I noticed Cevaes you have a TRD, tombiology70 didnt see your suspension, have you done any long trips with the truck? When I test drove both the SR5 and the TRD the SR5 felt much more comfortable, but the TRD has the sports bucket seats that feel good,what are your thoughts? I will be doing many 3-4 hour trips hauling my bike and want to make sure I'm not sitting on real stiff suspension,
Mine is a SR5 too, those are ebay stickers didnt like the plain look but the suspension is alright i dont have any complaints so far..
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
gt4som is on a distinguished road
Name: Nelson
gt4som's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same truck as Litegide. I have the stock 16" wheels that came on the I4 SR5 PR. I have driven from Tampa to Jax a few times and no complains on the suspension. It feels great. Before my truck my daily was a 90 turbo celica with stiff suspension and the truck feels sooo much better to drive.

My only complain with the truck is the constant shift on the interstate while it's on cruise control. The truck will down shift when I'm going over a steep overpass. It's really a matter of getting use to it. The way I have adapted to this problem is by anticipating the over passes by slightly accelerating before.

If you will be doing a lot of mountain driving, expect the truck to down shift into 3rd gear if you are going highway speeds.

Products Discussed in this Thread