Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Heavy tires vs 4-bangers

Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
hutch606 will become famous soon enoughhutch606 will become famous soon enough
hutch606's Tacoma Gallery
Heavy tires vs 4-bangers

Who's running real AT tires (50ish lb tires) on their 4-bangin' 4wd trucks (I'm access cab, MT)? 95% of my miles are on-road, but the extra 5% can pretty much suck. I've been a huge fan of old-school BFG ATs, but not sure if the lil' 4cylinder can handle it without just losing all power / mileage. So, any comments?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
What size are you looking to add? That's where the biggest difference is going to take place. If you stick with the stock size, are you getting E rated tires (10 ply)? If you keep the air down to a sultry 35 psi or so, it shouldn't make a huge difference. The weight will be a bit higher, but the rolling resistance will be roughly the same. If you go larger, it might suck more because you get weight and rolling mass (diameter)... Depends on what you are looking for. Personally, a mildly aggressive (read: Hankook Dynapro AT-M tire in a slightly larger size (read: 265/75r16) would be well worth the trade off. My girlfriend has those on her Jeep and they hook up really well, coupled with the fact that I have sold hundreds of sets of those with good on road reviews as well... That would be worth a slight sacrifice.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
I just went through this myself. I put 235/85R16's on my stock steel wheels. These are the same diameter as the 265/75R16's but are narrower. The tires I put on were 49LBS. This tire change took away 2-3 MPG and put my truck in a different power-spot for normal driving. It really drove me nuts. I "returned" the tires and got Michelin AT's in the stock size.

I have had larger tires in the past and my last two sets of tires were BFG AT KO. I didnt feel that this truck with the 4banger was very forgiving with the larger tires.

Lots of others are running larger tires and seem to have no problem. I felt the engine had enough power to do what I wanted, but I felt as though I was taxing the engine all the time with the 32" tires. The truck would go as fast as I wanted when i wanted, eventually, but I was down a gear if I wanted to have any acceleration at all.

YMMV
Old 08-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Hard and Hutch, you can regear to compensate for the loss in power. It's expensive up front, but everything we do to these trucks is expensive...
Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
ill be running 78 lb general grabber red labels. (33x12.5x15) but im re gearing to 4.56
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
If they don't need to be offroad tires, I suggest shopping tires with the least "rolling resistance". I have Michelin-X tires on my v6, and I won't ever get a different tire than this one because it is a top "least rolling resistance" tire yet it's grippy as hell, plus they look great and last a long damm time.

http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...el-savings.jsp

http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Low%...0Truck%20Tires
Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
bendbolden's Tacoma Gallery
I have the BFG All Terrains 265/75/16 on mine and they seem to do fine. I bought the truck with them on it so I can't say how it was before.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to go any larger, but wanted to know about going from a 35lb tire to 51. I know it won't improve power and mpg but curious if I'd hate myself for doing it. Thanks Hard for your take...
Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
I would say you will notice a little difference but your truck will be geared properly with the stock size. The tires im running now are 46lbs, but the stock size, and i really like the power and ride. An aggressive tire in the stock size is all I will be using without a re-gear.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
RogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Deputy Chief
RogerRZ's Tacoma Gallery
I run load range E Safari TSR in the stock size, and with a couple of hundred miles a day (my 4 1/2 month old truck is going to turn 20k miles next week) worth of hilly logging roads, I'm averaging 19.75mpg, and have very seldom wanted more power--that's what the stick shift is for...
Old 08-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a 225/75/15 (28'') to Michelin A/T 31'' tires on my 2.7 Tacoma. I don't know how much of a weight difference there was but I only felt a slight difference driving. The larger tires actually lowered highway rpms and after the deckplate mod I am getting better mileage than when I had the smalled tires. You shouldn't have a problem with your 4 banger.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
I run 31" BFG KO's and my truck runs them fine. They was a set when I bought the truck so I don't have any comparison. But I can tell it's bogged down slightly, going from worn down BFG's to brand new ones. You will tell a slight difference. I still get great MPG's though!!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
im runnined 255/85/16 cooper st with moto metal 951. wheels weigh 20-30lbs more for all 4. the coopers iirc i read somewhere they are around 45-50lbs. I am over-geared to 4.56 and i am getting 24 mpg, 75% freeway 25% city

so were talking close to 100 lbs more in rotation mass and im fine, truck hauls balls for a 4 banger
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
Allen9621 is a jewel in the roughAllen9621 is a jewel in the roughAllen9621 is a jewel in the roughAllen9621 is a jewel in the rough
Allen9621's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch606 View Post
Who's running real AT tires (50ish lb tires) on their 4-bangin' 4wd trucks (I'm access cab, MT)? 95% of my miles are on-road, but the extra 5% can pretty much suck. I've been a huge fan of old-school BFG ATs, but not sure if the lil' 4cylinder can handle it without just losing all power / mileage. So, any comments?
Seeing as you only gain 1/2" of usable ground clearance for every 1" of tire height, I don't think larger-than-stock tires are worth it unless one truly needs that clearance.

The 2.7L is just not up to the task when you push its capacity. I think it's a good balance of MPG to practical power but it's "underpowered" in comparison to many vehicles. Even the 4.0 V-6 will suffer driveability loss - you just don't feel it as much. The physics of rotating a larger tire mass and diameter can't be escaped, even with gear ratio matching. Most people seem to do it for looks over utility.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
Thanks for the input. As mentioned, no plans to go big, just retaining stock 245/75/16 tires; no need/desire for anything more. It was helpful hearing input on the 30% heavier tire. Thanks much!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
You didn't say if you were a 5-lug, but since you say you have a stock size of 245, I'll assume you're a prerunner or 4x4.

I did notice drag moving up to duratracs in 265/75 (they're approx 45lbs a tire I think). It was still certainly driveable. The 4.10 gearing you have helps a lot, you'll be fine.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
255/75/17 firestone destination A/T on Fj cruiser wheels. Reg cab with the bil 5100 all four corners and front set at 1.75' . look real clean. Ill have to post some pics see what you guys think. noticed a slight drop in power and mpg but it looks good!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #19
00PreRunner is on a distinguished road

00PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Manual tranny?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #20
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch606 View Post
Thanks for the input. As mentioned, no plans to go big, just retaining stock 245/75/16 tires; no need/desire for anything more. It was helpful hearing input on the 30% heavier tire. Thanks much!
You could also go TRD stock size 265/70/16 if you want to go wider (0.78") but not taller.
I'll be going taller (1.18") & wider (0.78") 265/75/16 when I get my new tires.