Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

hows the 4 cyl 4x4 in snow?

Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
hows the 4 cyl 4x4 in snow?

last winter i had a 2004 ranger 4x4 with a 4.0L V6 that was a tank in the show. im wondering wat to expect this winter with a smaller engine. granted, the ranger didnt have the rated 210 HP this past winter due to compression loss and watever but im wondering if ill lose some of the snow driving capibilites with the smaller I4 in the tacoma. i have the stock tires but but thinking about getting some sand bags for the back. anyone have any experience that could stop the wondering??? thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
you will not lose any driving capabilities due to the size of the engine!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
JEA86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
it does great in the snow, i had mine going in all kinds of deep snow this year in West Virginia and that was up our snow covered mountains.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
IMO smaller engines with less power are better for snow conditions. My little 2wd didn't skip a beat this past winter (and I'm probably within an hour of where you live).
Old 08-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
it will be fine in the snow... with the yellow wire mod and good tires it will walk all over that ranger in the snow due to the front and rear LSD (TRAC)

the yellow wire mod enables it in 4lo for deep nasty stuff...

VVVclick for vidVVV

Old 08-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
IMO once you put it in 4wd youll wish you had the v6 i lose a good bit of power after engaged thats the only downfall i have with the i4
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Like it is in dry conditions, only wetter and slipperier.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine in snow, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
Adjunct Anarchist
Papa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Radio Operator
Name: Papa Tac
Papa Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Cut a large truck tire tube in half, fill w/sand and tie off ends like a sausage.
Fits around wheel wells and you're good to go.
Hardly need 4x4.
And good rubber, of course. Stock sucks...
Old 08-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah might look into some better tires b4 winter. that and some sand bags i think i should be set. thanks guys!!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
mxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
mxnborder's Tacoma Gallery

[/URL]
[/QUOTE]

Dude your trucks sick, i love that bumper you got did you make it? I've always wanted to try making one with square tubing instead of the common tube bumpers./ lookin good
Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Tacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacovendor's Tacoma Gallery
No complaints, it does excellent. Yoytoda nice shell!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Southernboyinct is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Ground Radar Technician, 103rd Air Control Squadron
Southernboyinct's Tacoma Gallery
I got the General Grabbers too! They're great tires, and the price should make anyone driving Goodyear tires cry!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnborder View Post

Dude your trucks sick, i love that bumper you got did you make it? I've always wanted to try making one with square tubing instead of the common tube bumpers./ lookin good
yup, made my bumpers and sliders
Old 08-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
tires make u go my friend with shit tires in 4x4 would not go where mine would in 2x4 with a set of diggers
Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Mine works just fine in the snows!!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #17

i guess ill find out the hard way in a few months lol i feel confident tho
Old 08-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #18
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
No amount of tire or sand or (input other snow traction device) can account for stupid. Remember that 4wd only allows you to get going easier, there is not more stopping power and that is where most people have trouble with snow driving. Just remember to drive within your limits and you will be fine.

As for the power question: in most situations, less power is better (on road) because it will keep you from spinning and allow you to get traction instead of spinning the tires and staying put.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
4cly, 4x4, stock tires, fine in snow (I put 240# of sand in back, and drive within my abilities). I am thinking of some better tires. Probably stay with P245 so snow traction is not diminished. Thinking of the at hankooks or maybe pep boys definitys.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #20
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
never had any problems in my 98 4 banger, plowed through everything!!!

What tires came on your truck???