Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 Bangin, Fuel Sippin, Full Tank Challenge!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I really recommend picking up either Scan or Ultra Gauge.

They'll impress you about what kind of MPGs could possibly be achieved with your trucks.

Sweet spot is 45-60. Get anywhere from 35-43 MPGs if you could maintain the speed on a consistent basis.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #22
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I just don't know if I want to spend the money on it. I already have the highest Tacoma mileage on fuelly.com I really don't think I can improve it much more.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Filled up this morning.
What kind of mileage do you get with the 225/75/15's?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
Buggys3sgte is on a distinguished road
Name: !@$*
Buggys3sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
dont mean to question you. but i find this very unbeliveable.
Im with this guy why are you tracking mpg's through some scangauge real world driven miles is what counts watch that odometer man . What is factory MPG's rating for your truck, and why are your guys tanks so damn big? Just tracked mpg's on my 97 taco 2wd with the 2rz and just daily driving it not babying the go pedal and by no means playing Dale Earnhardt i barely pulled 345 out of it shifting @ 2k between gears. Totally empty to full was 11.8 gallons to fill it back up, I didn't throw the fuel light as i don't like to heat my FP up. How big are the tanks on the newer trucks 2wd/4wd? My 97 has a 15.10 gallon tank, which means still even running it to 14 gallons i could only pull 410 miles off my tank, at my 29.23 mpg's, so what are you guys doing to get these super prius miles out of yours? Seems like claimjumping to me but maybe you guys know something i don't or toyota leaned the ecu's out alot a cruise speed or??? Oh by the way i pulled 29.23 MPG's from my truck.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #25
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
I just don't know if I want to spend the money on it. I already have the highest Tacoma mileage on fuelly.com I really don't think I can improve it much more.
Wait a minute, I'm showing 32.8 mpg at fuelly.com I started keeping track there but liked cleanmpg.com better.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #26
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys3sgte View Post
Im with this guy why are you tracking mpg's through some scangauge real world driven miles is what counts watch that odometer man . What is factory MPG's rating for your truck, and why are your guys tanks so damn big? Just tracked mpg's on my 97 taco 2wd with the 2rz and just daily driving it not babying the go pedal and by no means playing Dale Earnhardt i barely pulled 345 out of it shifting @ 2k between gears. Totally empty to full was 11.8 gallons to fill it back up, I didn't throw the fuel light as i don't like to heat my FP up. How big are the tanks on the newer trucks 2wd/4wd? My 97 has a 15.10 gallon tank, which means still even running it to 14 gallons i could only pull 410 miles off my tank, at my 29.23 mpg's, so what are you guys doing to get these super prius miles out of yours? Seems like claimjumping to me but maybe you guys know something i don't or toyota leaned the ecu's out alot a cruise speed or??? Oh by the way i pulled 29.23 MPG's from my truck.
lol im lucky if i get 250 miles out of my tank and i have a 17 gal tank.

37mpg is.... wack
Old 08-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #27
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The scangauge is very accurate, but all numbers I report are from the odometer and receipts.

EPA rating was 20/27 in 2005 but they changed that to 18/25 in 2008.

You won't heat the fuel pump unless you run out of gas and keep running the pump.

A favorable commute has a lot to do with it, max 50 mph over 10 miles, early morning, low traffic and lights that are very predictable.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #28
Science!

Quote:
We're talking 2nd gen Tacoma's. We have a 21.1 gallon tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Wait a minute, I'm showing 32.8 mpg at fuelly.com I started keeping track there but liked cleanmpg.com better.
You must have joined fuelly fairly recently then. My apologies.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:14 AM   #29
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
What kind of mileage do you get with the 225/75/15's?
I don't think there is much difference.

I do a ton of city driving and I average 22.5-23.

Gauge drops at the same rate it seems.

1st qtr - awesome mileage.
2nd qtr - drinky drinky quick.
Levels out and is awesome again right before 1/2 tank. (185-190 miles at this point)
3rd Qtr - drinky drinky again
4th Qtr - back to really good mileage.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #30
Science!

469.8 miles on 17.874 gallons or 26.3 MPG. No highway miles, lots of short trips hauling tree branches and lawn mowers.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #31
Buggys3sgte is on a distinguished road
Name: !@$*
Buggys3sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A favorable commute has a lot to do with it, max 50 mph over 10 miles, early morning, low traffic and lights that are very predictable.
How does this scan gauge plug into the vehicle to achieve it's readings? Hmm interesting to know on the fuel pumps for toyota's, on GM's those POS are a joke i have helped my cousin replace more damn FP's, im serious when i say we have dropped close to 12 pumps in one truck of his not to mention all the other rides that are GM that we have to replace FP's on. I am still gonna keep fuel in my tank as i like the feeling of knowing there is fuel covering my pump. By the way if your tank is 21 gallons and you ran to 20.4 you are getting close to running out of gas . So what your saying is Mars, Jupitor, and Uranus have to align just to get these mpg's nice to know that won't work where im from, i swear the city workers dial the lights in to change when your coming up on them just so they can make you cry, not to mention they put those gay camera lights at every Texas sized intersection. However they haven't caught me yet woot woot.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #32
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by god View Post
I think the light comes on at about 60 L, leaving 20 L (~5 gallons) left in the tank. In theory, highway right to dry in ideal conditions, these things should break 900 km (4x4) or 1000 km (4x2) --- spec (which is not hard to hit unless you're driving really fast) is 8.8 L / 100 km.... (80/8.8)*100=909.09 km 4x4, 7.7 L / 100 km.... (80/7.7)*100=1038.96 km 4x2. Bearing in mind, that's to DRY.

To the light, if it is in fact exactly 60L.... (60/8.8)*100=681.82 km, (60/7.7)*100=779.22 km.

km --> mi, divide by 1.6
909.09 km = 568.18 mi
1038.96 km = 659.35 mi <-- best range of any Tacoma, all models and configs.
681.82 km = 426.14 mi
779.22 km = 487.01 mi
English please!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #33

Quote:
How does this scan gauge plug into the vehicle to achieve it's readings? Hmm interesting to know on the fuel pumps for toyota's, on GM's those POS are a joke i have helped my cousin replace more damn FP's, im serious when i say we have dropped close to 12 pumps in one truck of his not to mention all the other rides that are GM that we have to replace FP's on. I am still gonna keep fuel in my tank as i like the feeling of knowing there is fuel covering my pump. By the way if your tank is 21 gallons and you ran to 20.4 you are getting close to running out of gas . So what your saying is Mars, Jupitor, and Uranus have to align just to get these mpg's nice to know that won't work where im from, i swear the city workers dial the lights in to change when your coming up on them just so they can make you cry, not to mention they put those gay camera lights at every Texas sized intersection. However they haven't caught me yet woot woot.
OBDII port under dash is the hookup.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #34
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
thats kind of hard to compare since a lot of people have a lot of different mods... I think for what mods I got getting 24-25 mpg religiously is GREAT! so I am the winner in my own mind lol
I question 24-25 mpg, especially how your truck is set up. They do say if you re gear like you did you should get better gas mileage with "city" driving and slightly less with highway conditions, so maybe if you do alot of city driving and drive like a grandpa a guess maybe? How do you do it?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #35
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My best tank for miles was 751 miles on 20.401 gallons or 36.8 mpg.

My best tank for mpg was 681 miles on 18.08 gallons or 37.7 mpg, but that's a little further than when the light came on.

Maybe I should stay out of this one.
Now I am really scratching my head? This seems to far out of the normal range? 36-37 mpg?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #36
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
I got 49 mpg in mine on the last trip I kept track of.... That was normal driving at 5-8 mph over the speed limit, about half interstate half back roads....

Of course that was in my TDI jetta...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #37
Prerunners Work

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
I drive alot of around town driving, flat, no hills, a few lights with no stop and go traffic, with avg speeds in the 40-50 mile range, mixed with some highway driving at times. The A/C runs pretty much all the time. For 3 yrs, all I have seem to get is 21.5-23 mpg max. Basically a stock truck? And, I just cruise around, not racing it, trying to get good mileage with my driving habits.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #38

I'm down to half a tank (yeah, me likes to cruise around when I get the chance) and I'm over 200. Probably about 210-15ish since the odo is off a tad b/c of the slightly bigger tires.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #39
Science!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
I drive alot of around town driving, flat, no hills, a few lights with no stop and go traffic, with avg speeds in the 40-50 mile range, mixed with some highway driving at times. The A/C runs pretty much all the time. For 3 yrs, all I have seem to get is 21.5-23 mpg max. Basically a stock truck? And, I just cruise around, not racing it, trying to get good mileage with my driving habits.
Slow starts.
Avoid short trips.
Coast or engine brake when possible.
Shift around 2k.
Maintain momentum...try to avoid stopping/ braking.
Highest gear @ lowest speed = best economy. (ie: 50 MPH in 5th gear)
Draft/ drive with traffic on the highway.
Synthetic fluids throughout.
Increase tire pressure.
Remove mud flaps.
Etc.

There's definitely room for improvement.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Now I am really scratching my head? This seems to far out of the normal range? 36-37 mpg?
Every once in awhile my motor isn't running.