Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 Bangin, Fuel Sippin, Full Tank Challenge!

Old 09-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #681
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
285 (313) at the 1/4 mark.

Really, really want that 4. Ever so elusive.

Curious Ryan, have your MPGs gone up and down with the build ups and downs?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #682
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post

Curious Ryan, have your MPGs gone up and down with the build ups and downs?
The tires on it now are smaller than the tires on the stock 15's, so it's higher than in stock form.

With the 33's I was lucky to get 330/tank.
But, at the same time I drove like a douche and had to give it way more gas to get up to speed.

I was still able to make it from SD to Vegas in 3/4 tank though.
That's 331 miles from my house to my bros house in North LV.

Regarding the trips to Vegas;

With 33's I pretty much did the speed limit and traveled in the slow truck lanes going uphill.
The journey takes about 5.5 hours going the speed limit, and is doable on 3/4 tank.

With the 245/40-18's I tend to cruise around 80 until I'm about 10 miles from South Point.
At that time I travel the speed limit because there is always highway patrol out in force.
The journey takes about 4.5 hours or less, and is doable on 3/4 tank.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #683
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post

Does the light come on at about 1/8 tank? Is it 21 gallon tank? If its at 313 at 1/4 tank remaining should exceed 400 at fuel up. At the 17 gallons remaining the light comes on in mine (it has the 21.5 gallon)
Old 09-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #684
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by litegide24 View Post
Does the light come on at about 1/8 tank? Is it 21 gallon tank? If its at 313 at 1/4 tank remaining should exceed 400 at fuel up. At the 17 gallons remaining the light comes on in mine (it has the 21.5 gallon)
I've seen someone go as far as 50 miles after the fuel warning light came on.

But that's not too smart because the fuel in the tank is what cools our fuel pumps.

That's why it comes on with 1/8 to go.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #685
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
I've seen someone go as far as 50 miles after the fuel warning light came on.

But that's not too smart because the fuel in the tank is what cools our fuel pumps.

That's why it comes on with 1/8 to go.
The fuel flowing through the pump cools and lubes the pump, not the fuel around the pump. Until you run out of gas the pump is happy.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #686
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
But yes... it's a 21.1 gallon tank, somewhere around 1/2 to 1/4 gallon is not usable.
Figure you've got a 20 gallon tank and you're safe.
Low fuel light comes on at 17 gallons on my truck, so I've got a solid 70 miles before empty.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #687
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The "extra" wiggle room given by the 21.1 capacity tank and the fuel light that pops on around 17 gallons used is a part of why I went ahead and started the thread.

I didn't want to make folks burn up their fuel pumps.

Can run the truck down to the light and still have 3 gallons of gas to keep to the pump cool.

Chevy trucks were pretty notorious for running them close to low and burning up fuel pumps.

If I get the 4 on this tank, it will be by the skin of my teeth. Haven't been driving as much. Been redoing the wheels and rotating the spare around to the wheel I'm currently working on. Glad I got my spare, but I don't have highway travel confidence in it....it's used...
Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
The tires on it now are smaller than the tires on the stock 15's, so it's higher than in stock form.

With the 33's I was lucky to get 330/tank.
But, at the same time I drove like a douche and had to give it way more gas to get up to speed.

I was still able to make it from SD to Vegas in 3/4 tank though.
That's 331 miles from my house to my bros house in North LV.

Regarding the trips to Vegas;

With 33's I pretty much did the speed limit and traveled in the slow truck lanes going uphill.
The journey takes about 5.5 hours going the speed limit, and is doable on 3/4 tank.

With the 245/40-18's I tend to cruise around 80 until I'm about 10 miles from South Point.
At that time I travel the speed limit because there is always highway patrol out in force.
The journey takes about 4.5 hours or less, and is doable on 3/4 tank.
330/331....numbers I'm much more used to.

I've always been the 360-380 range on my MPGS it seems.

Acceleration with the 30s is rough, city driving is fucking annoying. I can't imagine the 33's. It's not to the point where I feel the truck is seriously lacking power though.

My 2.7L air pump is like a fat kid trying to run a race.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #689
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
575.2 miles and 20.50 gallons = 28.05 MPG

Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #690
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^

I knew you'd make it.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #691
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
^

I knew you'd make it.
Folks don't try this at home unless you have a very worthy consultant
Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #692
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Like a Ultragauge or a Scangauge
Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #693
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
Like a Ultragauge or a Scangauge
575 was a high so far. Worthy crunched some numbers with Fuelly data, consistent 27mpg accurate data fuel ups. Using noted low fuel light reference points (from previous fill-ups) there was little room for far out assumptions.

The low fuel indicator is key for me... This time the light came on at 499.4 miles. I went an additional 75 miles and refueled at 575 miles. For example the truck was previously getting 26.5 and at 501 the low fuel light comes on and had a run with 548 miles, same with 509 the LFL comes on and i run 555, and again the LFL came on a 510 and a 566 run, back out what the tank took every time for the sake of comparison and i was pretty comfortable with todays fill up (used less than 1/2 gallon less fuel at fill up at 20,5 today. Ultimately I now know I can go 75 miles after the LFL although every truck is different and this was a true 28 mpg tank the played a role in all that.

Although, i don't put as much in the filler tube as I previously did (took that into account too). I now do the 1-gallon after first click method, so can figure in some excess in the fill tube to compensate for any residual in left the vehicle when tank is getting down there. I think if my low fuel light ever comes on at around 515/520 and I'm running consistent 27 mpg tanks I'd feel comfortable running it to 600.

If worthy gets to big for his britches I'll trade him in on a scan gauge, Seriously though we discussed known facts from his experiences for fuel up points which played a role in miles achieved. However, i don't do anything fancy other than try not to hit the passing gear, also pop into neutral at lights, my truck did some idling with ac on a few days this past week, also some hot days when used ac to a from work.

I'd like to get one of the scan gauges, which unit is better and where do you
guys buy them from?.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #694
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by litegide24 View Post
I now do the 1-gallon after first click method,
I don't know how you guys are doing that, unless your pumps are a LOT faster than mine and you're getting some foaming.

I've TRIED to push it.
Ain't happening.

Full speed, click off. Wait a few seconds, ease into it, POP! 1/10th.
Wait.... ease into it... POP! Another 1/10th if I'm lucky.

I've never been able to get more than 2/10th in after it clicks.

Ultragauge is cheapest, and the most "friendly" display if your primary use is fuel tracking.
It will display 6 data items per screen with the two top items large and the rest smaller... or it will display 8 small items per page.
Scangauge is arguably a better unit, at double the cost.
Slimmer for mounting and doesn't look like a small GPS... but it's limited to display of only 4 parameters.
OTOH, it will display trans temp (auto trans)... Ultragauge won't.

They will both read and reset CEL codes.

Left image was taken when I got to work, right image was taken when I got home.

"SRT" is like a "short trip" indication... it automatically resets every time the ignition is recycled.
The little "heart" pulses... it's just a "watchdog" indication.
The circle indicates closed loop. When the system is in open loop (WOT, off-throttle decel, and when not up to temperature) the top of the loop is open.

It's mounted above my mirror:

Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #695
Tacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Tacolover443's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 371.1 mile tank coming back from North Carolina, but right as I was clearing the trip odo I thought "Hey I should take a picture for TW." ... and then it was gone.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #696

I mounted it up there because the dotted "tint" on the glass hides it.

The main drawbacks of the basic design are:

It looks like a small GPS
The cable does not unplug from the unit itself, so you can't pop it off the dash and toss it in the glovebox
Buttons on the back so if you flush-mount it, you have to detach it to reset when you fuel up and for calibration and configuration.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #697
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Ultragauge

I'm with you Rich - larger display at half the cost (especially if you're unsure that you'll like a feedback gauge like this), the Ultragauge is the right choice for me.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #698

If the Ultragauge existed when I bought my first generation Scangauge I would have gone Ultra.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #699

BTW: The screens are totally configurable.
You can tell it how many screens to display, from 1 to 6 or 8, and you control what is displayed and what positions they display in.

I now find myself spending all of my time on page-2, as that seems to be the most useful information.

Page 1, I have instant MPG, Ave MPG, Distance to empty, gallons remaining, engine temp, and intake air temp.
I recently bought a Gentex temp mirror, and I'm satisfied that my engine is always either 199.4, or 204.0... never seen it anywhere else.
The intake air temp display was just to give me an idea how hot is is outside when I've got the AC set to "Ice Age"

Here's the 74 gauges that can be displayed:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/TEN/gauges.htm

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ZC/
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #700
I prefer ultra design