Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 Bangin, Fuel Sippin, Full Tank Challenge!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #901
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it is, I just filled up today and pulled off 15.xx.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #902
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
23mpg is great?????
It is for a 4x4 truck.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #903
cwoodruff08 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chi
cwoodruff08's Tacoma Gallery

Hello!

This is my first post to the forum. I just bought my Tacoma, a 2013 double cab 2.7L pre-runner. I have to say I am shocked at the mileage. Totally blows away what the window sticker said. Filled up a week ago and last night pulling into the driveway my fuel light came on at 400 miles exactly.
Attached Thumbnails
4 Bangin, Fuel Sippin, Full Tank Challenge!-img_20130329_064011_842.jpg  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #904
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoodruff08 View Post
Hello!

This is my first post to the forum. I just bought my Tacoma, a 2013 double cab 2.7L pre-runner. I have to say I am shocked at the mileage. Totally blows away what the window sticker said. Filled up a week ago and last night pulling into the driveway my fuel light came on at 400 miles exactly.

Welcome to the mix!! Great first tank. Enjoy the truck!!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #905
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
It is for a 4x4 truck.
Yes, great number for a 4x4. I was wondering though how Rich or WWs would do with one of our trucks for a couple of weeks.

Gents - what kind of MPGs do you think you'd get with a 4x4 driven like you do your 5-lugs??
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #906
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
388 and 12 gallons, 28.2 average.

But I haz FR-S 4 banger...

Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #907
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
Yes, great number for a 4x4. I was wondering though how Rich or WWs would do with one of our trucks for a couple of weeks.

Gents - what kind of MPGs do you think you'd get with a 4x4 driven like you do your 5-lugs??
When i drive my 4x4 'normally'
As in 70-75-80mph on freeway
Flooring it at a red light every now and then.
Driving 55 on side roads
30 around town

I average 330-350 miles per tank which usually comes out to 18mpg IIRC.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #908
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
388 and 12 gallons, 28.2 average.

But I haz FR-S 4 banger...

Torspd's truck gets 31mpg
Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #909
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And do the math for power to weight ratio.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #910
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Finally found that pic. Instantaneous mileage at 45 mph. About right for the v6, my six speed was about 30 mpg give or take at 45 mph

my 2.7 gets an easy 40 mpg at that speed in 5th if the ground is flat
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #911
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'd need a loaner to know for sure.

Just guessing I would hope I'd be able to squeeze 24 mpg out of a V6 Auto or Stick, and maybe 26-27 out of an I4 4x4?

That would be average with much better in summer.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #912
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
I was over 24 twice with the six speed 4x4, above 23 a number of times. It fights tooth and nail. NICE-on is almost a wash, even at 55 mph it would only give 80 mpg thanks to the 1400 rpm idle, but a downhill of sufficient grade to keep speed in coast would give 60 mpg in gear; EOC always works, but the computer is programmed for that high idle so with either a bump or key start it dumps fuel (nooo the cats!) and revs itself well north of 2000 rpm which makes it interesting to wrestle back into the gear you want. DFCO has a two second delay between throttle lift and fuel cut every time so you have to plan ahead on that one.

Literally the ONLY 'feature' of the six speed for mileage was that acceleration with cruise resume would use between 80 and 90% load for at least five seconds. The 2.7 goes to 100% right blasted now at the push of the button.

If every other way the 2.7 drives SO MUCH more like a normal vehicle. I had no FAS on my last tank, just lots of cruise at 55 mph and typical planning for traffic. 26 mpg would be easy if you really wanted it.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #913
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
I was over 24 twice with the six speed 4x4, above 23 a number of times. It fights tooth and nail. NICE-on is almost a wash, even at 55 mph it would only give 80 mpg thanks to the 1400 rpm idle, but a downhill of sufficient grade to keep speed in coast would give 60 mpg in gear; EOC always works, but the computer is programmed for that high idle so with either a bump or key start it dumps fuel (nooo the cats!) and revs itself well north of 2000 rpm which makes it interesting to wrestle back into the gear you want. DFCO has a two second delay between throttle lift and fuel cut every time so you have to plan ahead on that one.

Literally the ONLY 'feature' of the six speed for mileage was that acceleration with cruise resume would use between 80 and 90% load for at least five seconds. The 2.7 goes to 100% right blasted now at the push of the button.

If every other way the 2.7 drives SO MUCH more like a normal vehicle. I had no FAS on my last tank, just lots of cruise at 55 mph and typical planning for traffic. 26 mpg would be easy if you really wanted it.
What are you abbreviating
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #914
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Look up "Hypermiling", and keep in mind that many of the techniques can not be used with automatic transmissions.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #915
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoodruff08 View Post
Hello!

Welcome to the forum and the we hate to buy gas club. Great first tank, at 20K you will get about 2 more MPG
Old 03-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #916
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I generally get close to the "sticker" highway mileage on any vehicle I have because of my commute.
50 miles each way, 5am it's 65-70 all the way with little traffic.
Trip home is stop and go. If I could only drive to work and not come home, I'd be pulling consistent 26+.

I got 16 from my '95 Suburban until I started having multiple issues that prompted me to dump it and get the Taco. It was down to 12 when I sold it, and the guy that bought it said it had dropped to 8.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #917
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at getting a 1993 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI 5 speed for a Summer commuter They're about as hard to find as my Pickup was, though . . .
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #918
sandstock is on a distinguished road

sandstock's Tacoma Gallery
My third tank on my new 2012 Tacoma, hope I can improve on these numbers, would love to get it up to the 26-30MPG range.
Scan Gauge showing 23.1MPG. Actual pump numbers, 404miles@17.8 gallons=22.7MPG
Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #919

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Sorry, post was primarily for worthywads, I figured he'd know what I was saying.

nice-on = no internal combustion engine (but it's on) = neutral coast, engine running.
EOC = engine off coast, can be synonymous with FAS = forced auto stop
DFCO = dynamic fuel cut off (fuel cut when decelerating in gear)
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I generally get close to the "sticker" highway mileage on any vehicle I have because of my commute.
50 miles each way, 5am it's 65-70 all the way with little traffic.
Trip home is stop and go. If I could only drive to work and not come home, I'd be pulling consistent 26+.

I got 16 from my '95 Suburban until I started having multiple issues that prompted me to dump it and get the Taco. It was down to 12 when I sold it, and the guy that bought it said it had dropped to 8.
Tough to get a respectable number (relative to the Tacoma) with the big rig. Going from my RWD Ranger to the 4x4 Tacoma, I've given up a couple of MPGs. But I have a truck that fits my needs much better.