LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 Bangin, Fuel Sippin, Full Tank Challenge!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #921
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
What are you abbreviating
Sorry, post was primarily for worthywads, I figured he'd know what I was saying.

nice-on = no internal combustion engine (but it's on) = neutral coast, engine running.
EOC = engine off coast, can be synonymous with FAS = forced auto stop
DFCO = dynamic fuel cut off (fuel cut when decelerating in gear)
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #922
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I generally get close to the "sticker" highway mileage on any vehicle I have because of my commute.
50 miles each way, 5am it's 65-70 all the way with little traffic.
Trip home is stop and go. If I could only drive to work and not come home, I'd be pulling consistent 26+.

I got 16 from my '95 Suburban until I started having multiple issues that prompted me to dump it and get the Taco. It was down to 12 when I sold it, and the guy that bought it said it had dropped to 8.
Tough to get a respectable number (relative to the Tacoma) with the big rig. Going from my RWD Ranger to the 4x4 Tacoma, I've given up a couple of MPGs. But I have a truck that fits my needs much better.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #923
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Look up "Hypermiling", and keep in mind that many of the techniques can not be used with automatic transmissions.
I know what it is. LOL idc about the delay or whatevr in the throttle I have a cable attached to mine and not a dumb wire
Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #924
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
I know what it is. LOL idc about the delay or whatevr in the throttle I have a cable attached to mine and not a dumb wire
I miss that cable sometimes. So little to go wrong and so cheap to fix if something does.

Nah I was talking about the logic programmed into the 4.0L engine vs the 2.7L engine. Even though they're both throttle by wire, there's a massive difference in when the fuel cut kicks in.

With the 4.0L (manual), the engine has to be spinning at least 1600 rpm in gear when throttle is lifted which often necessitates downshifting to trigger it; the throttle plate closes immediately, but for about two seconds it's still giving fuel and not much happens in the way of engine braking then. After that two seconds the loop indicator goes open, the truck lurches, and it slows down. It starts the fuel again at 1200 rpm.

With the 2.7L, it's so much more simple. Anything between 1000 rpm and some point between 2000-2500 rpm (haven't nailed down its exact spot yet) engages the fuel cut if the throttle plate is closed and there is no delay. I've run into the upper cutoff coming off the highway - no DFCO until sometime on the off-ramp.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #925
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
With the 2.7L, it's so much more simple. Anything between 1000 rpm and some point between 2000-2500 rpm (haven't nailed down its exact spot yet) engages the fuel cut if the throttle plate is closed and there is no delay. I've run into the upper cutoff coming off the highway - no DFCO until sometime on the off-ramp.
I've been keeping an eye on mine and I'm not going into open loop at higher speeds unless I'm braking with moderate force.

At 40mph, throttle closed will go into open loop, but rolling down hill at 70, it won't go into open loop until I apply enough braking to make for a noticeable deceleration.
Releasing the brake will cause it to go back into closed loop. This is all happening in the 1800-2200rpm range.

Your manual may be programmed differently.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #926
cwoodruff08 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chi
cwoodruff08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I generally get close to the "sticker" highway mileage on any vehicle I have because of my commute.
50 miles each way, 5am it's 65-70 all the way with little traffic.
Trip home is stop and go. If I could only drive to work and not come home, I'd be pulling consistent 26+.

I got 16 from my '95 Suburban until I started having multiple issues that prompted me to dump it and get the Taco. It was down to 12 when I sold it, and the guy that bought it said it had dropped to 8.
That's what surprised me about getting 22.6 mpg on mine. On the way to work Im generally 45-70 all the way there. Like you say though the drive home sucks big time. Stop and go to max 40 if I'm lucky. I hate LA traffic!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #927
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoodruff08 View Post
That's what surprised me about getting 22.6 mpg on mine. On the way to work Im generally 45-70 all the way there. Like you say though the drive home sucks big time. Stop and go to max 40 if I'm lucky. I hate LA traffic!!!
45-70 is perfect. Pickups and SUVs start dumping fuel like a 767 as you move above 65.

La Mirada? You've got to be dealing with the 5 or the 91.
You have my sympathy. I lived in Brea and worked at Douglas... 91 sucked even back in 1990.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #928

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
I paid close attention to that loop indicator today. Every time it went into open loop at 1900 rpm (about 53mph actual in 5th). I tried it in 4th as well just before I got home and it was still 1900 rpm.

So you 5MT guys, if you downshift to slow down, keep in mind that if its spinning 2000 rpm or more you're still burning gas.

On another note, round trip to visit family this weekend was 190 miles; I set cruise at 72 mph actual o
the way there and 68 mph on the return (75 and 71 on the dial) and the ultragauge is reading 23.3 mpg average. That should be close; last fill was 14.69gal, UG estimated 14.7. Last time I tried that with the six speed it said 14.6...ouch...
Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #929
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Maybe you should buy a hybrid cuz why do u need good mpg in a truck? Seems like a waste of time. I just drive mine. Sometimes I get 19 other time 27
Old 03-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #930

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
The joys of lake effect snow prevent that. I often get to drive through snowfall that no hybrid (except a yukon) can traverse.

If I could afford to move out of the snowbelt, I would SO have a civic hybrid. Cleaning deer blood out of the trunk would be a pain though.

Besides, it's just the way I drive, no matter what it is... I enjoy the challenge.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #931
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
I would love it if they made a hybrid version of the 4 cyl Tacoma. It would boost power as well as MPG. In my current driving situation, which is 3.5 mile trips twice a days, never exceeding 40 MPH, I would gain 7 to 10 MPG because I would not be using fuel for over half my trip. Would actually buy one if it came in at $2000 or less extra. Beside it would improve the air you breathe. Just thinking and dreaming out loud.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #932
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Because the better the MPG's the more money you save. The more money you save the more parts you can buy or save for something else. To not pay attention seems pretty foolish to me.
I dont plan to lift mine or anything. Women just got a Mazda so I'll mod that, I like my 10 year old truck thats being taken to the grave I'm keeping it till it's last breath. As for a 2nd vehicle I'll have a 2nd bike soon.

I pay attention here and there, I have bad tanks and good ones it all depends if I rush or plan my trips I make.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #933
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
Besides, it's just the way I drive, no matter what it is... I enjoy the challenge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Because the better the MPG's the more money you save. The more money you save the more parts you can buy or save for something else. To not pay attention seems pretty foolish to me.
This and this^

I always chuckle when guys on here get pissy about anyone mentioning fuel economy. I try to get the best FE out of any vehicle I drive, just for fun, and the cash saved is a perk. Plus tracking it lets me know what my vehicle is up to. Just wanted to share in the sentiment
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #934
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
This and this^

I always chuckle when guys on here get pissy about anyone mentioning fuel economy. I try to get the best FE out of any vehicle I drive, just for fun, and the cash saved is a perk. Plus tracking it lets me know what my vehicle is up to. Just wanted to share in the sentiment
This ^

I like the challenge and tracking like you. It uses less gas but I actually get paid way more for the few miles I put on for work than I spend in gas. I gas up about every 6 weeks and with safeway discount a tank is less than $50. I average $80 a month for the 180 miles I put on for work.

I also think it's patriotic to use less fuel if I can.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #935
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
This ^

I like the challenge and tracking like you. It uses less gas but I actually get paid way more for the few miles I put on for work than I spend in gas. I gas up about every 6 weeks and with safeway discount a tank is less than $50. I average $80 a month for the 180 miles I put on for work.

I also think it's patriotic to use less fuel if I can.
As you know, those of us who dabble about at CleanMPG.com try to drive our vehicles efficiently and effectively. Concern about our environment on a local and global scale is everyone's responsibility, but some folks contribute in different ways, at different points/times in their life, or not at all. Degrees of selfishness and awareness I suppose. But the challenge to do more with less should be a goal in many arenas beyond fuel efficiency. I see the folks in other threads mostly where they complain about a fellow enthusiast asking questions about fuel optimization as if they didn't know they bought a truck without regard for the circumstances. A bit a bravado and ignorance. Mostly have to ignore this as a good many of them will come to that 'point' and 'time' and realize the error in thinking. Also, these folks may be contributing in other ways to the common good of mankind. You never know. So as I don't presume to know all that they do, I ignore most comments. However, I have my moments of weakness where I'll throw in my 2 cents and hope for the best.

Fuel Optimization: enjoy the challenge, the cleaner air, and the extra money in your pocket!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #936
DBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shedDBWrecks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
DBWrecks's Tacoma Gallery
I like this thread, very interesting assuming everyone is posting honestly.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #937
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBWrecks View Post
I like this thread, very interesting assuming everyone is posting honestly.
What point would we have in fibbing? Check out my and others Fuelly.com account. Some of us have made over 100 entries over several years and ten of thousands of miles. I just wish I got the 25+ I was getting, as my driving conditions have changed since last fall. Now 85% of my trips are less than 4 miles.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #938
MPGs are picking up!! A week or two more and then regular gas again?? I sure hope so.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #939
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
My MPG seems to be picking up also. I was getting 170 to 180 miles at the half tank mark. Today at half tank, I had 195 miles.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #940
Taco Pete626 is on a distinguished road
Name: Peter
Taco Pete626's Tacoma Gallery
Gas mileage is picking up here too. Overall, I am seeing about 2 MPG increase.

Products Discussed in this Thread