Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 Bangin, Fuel Sippin, Full Tank Challenge!

Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #1181
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've been getting between 21 - 23 mpg the past few tanks. That's with the AC going all the time and probably 6 to 8 hours of idling per tank while I'm doing email or returning phone calls.

I'd do a lot better if I went in somewhere to get a cup of coffee and sat there, but I don't want the background noise and distractions while I'm on the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
I spend the grocery money anyway. Getting gas knock offs is new and is atleast nice to see. If I spend $400 anyway, why not save $4..

Spending more on groceries JUST to save cents per gallon is pretty fucking smart.
Yes. Several stores here are starting fuel perk and rewards programs. The store down the road from me that's the closest does a point system where you get 5 points for every $100 spent and that gets you 5 cents off up to 20 gallons of gas. Basically 1% back. You have to use the points in increments of 100 though so if you get only spend $99 there and get 99 points, you're screwed, and they expire the next month and you can't combine them. So if you're not careful, it's not 1% back.

I was able to get 15 cents off per gallon though last week so I made sure I was really empty and took a gas can with me too (for lawn equipment) in order to get it up to the 20 gallons. It was a lot of work for $3, but $3 is $3.

But to your point, if you can get food for less somewhere that doesn't have a rewards program and can use the Gas Buddy app to find gas for less somewhere else, that's the way to go. Someone could save $100 instead of $3.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #1182
98 yota power is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
98 yota power's Tacoma Gallery
26.5 mpg this last tank 98 tacoma 5 speed with bed cover before the same trip i made with out cover i got 25 so i guess the 100 bucks i spent on it was worth it in the long run
Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #1183
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Another stellar tank 663.3 miles on 18.595 gallons for 35.7 mpg.

Last 3 tanks averaged 35.5 mpg. 2041 miles on 3 tanks.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:32 AM   #1184
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Great tanks Ws! Current tank for me at the halfway point was 243. It might last the short week ahead. On this road trip I have the MDX. The current burn on this trip is 24.8 with some stop-and-go. Not bad for a 3.7 V6 on the highway.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #1185
bhd1223 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team Chief
bhd1223's Tacoma Gallery
Just out of curiosity what kind of tires are y'all running? Ever since I took off the lift and 285's years ago I'm lucky if I see over 21 mpg. With my old tires I saw 20-21 usually with a very rare 22. Currently I'm better than it was back with the lift/big tires but nowhere near the mid to high 20's I was seeing in the first 5k miles of ownership while carrying a load near 1000 lbs. Most of that was driving through Canada so I guess the whole not going over 70 mph has some merit. These days I'm driving much faster trying to cut down the time on my long commute and it probably doesn't help having all the elevation changes I experience.

I know my tires hurt some because they are heavier LT's but stock size, 245/75-16. Previous tires right around 20 mpg were P265/70s. I've been seeing 19 lately by going back to the "rev out" mentality instead of trying to keep the revs low. IIRC that was how I did it in the brand new days of the truck. Not revving really high but not lugging it either.

It just sucks that a couple hills in my commute require me to be going 75-80 with full throttle to not need a downshift to 4th. This has me craving more power so I don't need to downshift and can just give a little more throttle and keep on chugging. It's not fun to lose speed at full throttle, these aren't the Rockies, been there and done that while towing a serious load. I've been thinking about a light regear or maybe going crazy with a supercharger to make it possible to stay in 5th at lower freeway speeds, 60-70 mph. Maybe then I'll actually slow down. Haha.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #1186
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
Just out of curiosity what kind of tires are y'all running? Ever since I took off the lift and 285's years ago I'm lucky if I see over 21 mpg. With my old tires I saw 20-21 usually with a very rare 22. Currently I'm better than it was back with the lift/big tires but nowhere near the mid to high 20's I was seeing in the first 5k miles of ownership while carrying a load near 1000 lbs. Most of that was driving through Canada so I guess the whole not going over 70 mph has some merit. These days I'm driving much faster trying to cut down the time on my long commute and it probably doesn't help having all the elevation changes I experience.

I know my tires hurt some because they are heavier LT's but stock size, 245/75-16. Previous tires right around 20 mpg were P265/70s. I've been seeing 19 lately by going back to the "rev out" mentality instead of trying to keep the revs low. IIRC that was how I did it in the brand new days of the truck. Not revving really high but not lugging it either.

It just sucks that a couple hills in my commute require me to be going 75-80 with full throttle to not need a downshift to 4th. This has me craving more power so I don't need to downshift and can just give a little more throttle and keep on chugging. It's not fun to lose speed at full throttle, these aren't the Rockies, been there and done that while towing a serious load. I've been thinking about a light regear or maybe going crazy with a supercharger to make it possible to stay in 5th at lower freeway speeds, 60-70 mph. Maybe then I'll actually slow down. Haha.
My intake manifold spacer might give your 2.7 a little more grunt on the hills as it has a nice fat spot (red line) on the torque curve at around 3,000 rpm. While it won't transform your engine into a 4.0, you might not need to downshift as much on the hills.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #1187
bhd1223's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
My intake manifold spacer might give your 2.7 a little more grunt on the hills as it has a nice fat spot (red line) on the torque curve at around 3,000 rpm. While it won't transform your engine into a 4.0, you might not need to downshift as much on the hills.

Can you PM or post details? Seems some some gains and losses on the dyno. Might be worth a try though. The issue is I'm going 80+ up around 3k rpms. I'm looking for more power around 2k rpms for low speed 5th gear work, say 60-70 mph. So far the only thing I've seen that should make any substantial difference is the supercharger and even that isn't huge in the low rpms.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #1188
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Pete626 View Post

Quite frustrating. I wonder if V6 Taco's even notice when the A/C kicks in.

MPG went back to 26-27.
hmm, I've never really noticed a difference with the A/C on but am curious so might test it now. but with your mpg numbers I wouldn't worry about it.

I just got 22 mpg with a/c on about 85% and with me trying to conserve gas when in can, i.e. coasting down hills and only reving above 2k when I need to get up and go.

i really want to get a camper to help with mileage but can't justify the costs
Old 09-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #1189
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
My last tank of 26.6 mpg was enough to bump my lifetime average to 25.0! Now just for winter to set in and kill it.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #1190
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
2011 Toyota tacoma 2.7 reg cab 4x4 on 255/60-18 hankook ventus A/s

Just drove 400 miles straight all highway today going 65-75mph and got 21mpg!
Driving back tomorrow on 285/70-16 trail grapplers so the difference should be interesting lol
Old 10-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #1191
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
323 miles on 14.1 gallons - 22.9MPG
Old 10-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #1192
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCB600F View Post
323 miles on 14.1 gallons - 22.9MPG
Nice tank
That's good on a 4x4.

My last tank was a partial fill of 5 gallons, and a full fill up of 19.61 gallons. MPG came out to 24.7 Drove 607.3 miles.

About 400 0f those miles was long trip hiway at 70-75MPH. Rest was several dozen 3.5 miles trips back and forth to work.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #1193
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

556 miles on17.954 gallons for 31.0 mpg. Cooler weather already here, best tanks are behind me.

Got $0.90 off with Safeway discount so $2.419 a gallon.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #1194
bhd1223's Tacoma Gallery
My last two tanks have been an improvement, kind of. I've been seeing 17-18 for the last few months.

Two fill-ups ago I hit an even 20 and today's gave me just a tad over 19. Going slower on expressways helps a lot. If I could manage to not fall asleep traveling 60 mph I'd like to try it one day and see what happens but getting 20+ at 70 keeps me happy.

Still searching for the ever elusive 25+ that I saw in the younger years. I'd probably have to go back to paper tires and a lean running engine for that though.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #1195
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
Colder weather - mileage dropping
Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #1196

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCB600F View Post
Colder weather - mileage dropping
Yep, it'll get worse 'til after Jan/Feb.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #1197
Hansel is on a distinguished road
Name: Glenn
Hansel's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed that someone questioned worthywads, some time back regarding the fuel mileage.

I have had my 2003 2.4 liter automatic 2WD base model truck for approx 4k miles now.

Tire size 205 75 15

Best I've achieved was 36. Usually Range between 29 to 32 and probably average close to 31 mpg. 75% hwy 25% city.

Wish I had a five speed, but I bought it used with an automatic. Still I'm satisfied with the fuel mileage.

Note that I drive conservatively and I don't hit the throttle hard. I'm usually good at timing the traffic lights in the city, so that saves fuel since I don't have to accelerate from a dead stop. Also, drive approx 65 mph on the hwy or fwy.

So worthywads' fuel mileage of 37 plus mpg is very believable to me.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
I noticed that someone questioned worthywads, some time back regarding the fuel mileage.

I have had my 2003 2.4 liter automatic 2WD base model truck for approx 4k miles now.

Tire size 205 75 15

Best I've achieved was 36. Usually Range between 29 to 32 and probably average close to 31 mpg. 75% hwy 25% city.

Wish I had a five speed, but I bought it used with an automatic. Still I'm satisfied with the fuel mileage.

Note that I drive conservatively and I don't hit the throttle hard. I'm usually good at timing the traffic lights in the city, so that saves fuel since I don't have to accelerate from a dead stop. Also, drive approx 65 mph on the hwy or fwy.

So worthywads' fuel mileage of 37 plus mpg is very believable to me.
Thanks Hansel, timing lights is critical to good city driving. Sure we'll get people changing lanes frantically often, but pointlessly as they floor it past us to a stoplight ahead that we don't have to stop for since we know there's no reason to hurry. So be it. It would be one thing if this wasn't commuters driving the same drive every day around the same time, but in fact it is the same every day, yet people race ahead apparently oblivious that they will have to stop at the same light they do every day.

I can very predictably make it through the 8 stoplights on my way home hitting green on all of them. I know when to speed to make a light also.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #1199
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
And as the guy who actually sets the timing on the signals, it's a challenge trying to maintain flow in both directions while still making allowances for "the human factor"
Old 10-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #1200
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
i see all these high numbers. i would like to see the most effecient tank on purely city driving. some of us dont have the luxury of coasting the freeway to stretch out mpgs.

EDIT: i ask because im debating on trading my box in for a double cab 4banger. well, ts between that and a limited awd rav LOL.