Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 Bangin, Fuel Sippin, Full Tank Challenge!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #1221
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Just did a fill up of 12.88 gallons and drove 290 miles which comes out to 22.5 MPG It was all 3.5 mile short trip city driving, except for 80 miles of urban interstate.
Not too bad considering the dozens of short trips.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #1222
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
WW is an enigma...cold weather, big hills (mountains) and crappy fuel doesn't seem to bother him. We swear he savors these things just to make us all feel bad!!

Good luck!
Hey now, you can easily see from this graph that I take a big hit with cold weather too. I do savor the fact that my WORST winter tanks beat most peoples BEST summer tanks.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #1223
bhd1223 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team Chief
bhd1223's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, Connecticut is a hilly place. I have a few that I have to climb each day so the ride into work is worse than the return trip. Truck configuration (lifts, tires, racks, 4x4, auto tranny, etc.) will affect the MPGs too (along with load), but you need to be happy with what you are riding in and the utility you need. In that case, you may sacrifice some MPGs for aesthetics or functionality. That's fine.

The aim then is how to do the best with what you've got. Kase and others here run modified configurations but relative to their own numbers, they post respectable numbers. It's the fun of it!! Relative comparisons are fun, but more meaningful of course when juxtaposed against folks with similar configurations.

Cold weather and winter blends are our combatants at this point. I'm having a hard time getting consistent 22 MPGs at this point. I leave for work early and try to avoid both rush hours. I take the back roads to avoid the highway (large drag) but add about 10 minutes each way to the commute. Not a big deal for me, but some folks rather get 10 minutes more sleep. You may want to look into some alternative routes because as you see, speed robs you of fuel efficiency. But keep in mind that if the highway suits your needs better, the challenge is set up different. The bottom line is that when you are able to drive effectively and efficiently, the $$ ends up in your pocket. Not a bad place to keep cash!

WW is an enigma...cold weather, big hills (mountains) and crappy fuel doesn't seem to bother him. We swear he savors these things just to make us all feel bad!!

Good luck!
I care enough to check it but not so much that I let it affect my plans for the truck. I still mod as I see fit and try to get the best I can given the circumstances. Some days I'm fine not breaking 70 during the commute, others I don't want to be below 80. My commute is a mix of 2 lane state roads and expressway. Let's just say the drive consists of an extreme amount of elevation change. NW CT to New Haven should say enough.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #1224
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
I hate winter blend. Two 23.x tanks in a row?! Heresy! Something tells me I had better get used to it though.

I'm thinking maybe I need to put the grill block back in so it doesn't take 8 miles to get over 180F.
I'm thinking about doing the block this year. I'll need to figure out a plan. Something with adjustment would be a slick design.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #1225
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Hey now, you can easily see from this graph that I take a big hit with cold weather too. I do savor the fact that my WORST winter tanks beat most peoples BEST summer tanks.

Very true...on all points!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
I care enough to check it but not so much that I let it affect my plans for the truck. I still mod as I see fit and try to get the best I can given the circumstances. Some days I'm fine not breaking 70 during the commute, others I don't want to be below 80. My commute is a mix of 2 lane state roads and expressway. Let's just say the drive consists of an extreme amount of elevation change. NW CT to New Haven should say enough.
I know the hills well. I worked in Seymour for 10 years: uphill to work but downhill on the return. But as you know, plenty of grades to climb in either direction (not to mention the insane traffic through NH prior to the new bridge). Add a little snow...classic FE conditions!! I recall Route 8 was prime for some higher speeds but you had to watch for the occasional sneaky trooper.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #1227
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm thinking about doing the block this year. I'll need to figure out a plan. Something with adjustment would be a slick design.
I've never used a grill block, but think I'll give it a shot, and report my findings. I've avoided it since Boulder can be 15F in the morning and 68F on the way home. I can easily monitor the coolant with the scangauge though.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #1228
124x4tacoma is just really nice124x4tacoma is just really nice124x4tacoma is just really nice124x4tacoma is just really nice124x4tacoma is just really nice
124x4tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Latest tank. 5speed 4x4 access cab

304 miles/14.3 gallons=21.25

Mixture of highway/city about 60/40
Old 11-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #1229
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
I bet it'll be fine. The fan clutch is pretty aggressive and the cooling system is definitely capable. I knew it was past time to take it off in early summer when my max coolant temp went UP without it. It could be 70F outside and I'd get 190fwt with the block but 194-196fwt without it (and I couldn't hear the whoosh of the fan anymore). The day it came out it was 94F and it peaked at 198fwt climbing a hill on the freeway after an hour or so of driving. (That was the 2/3 block.)

I have a full upper block and one for just the top two openings. I'm considering trying the full upper block as it worked well on the 4.0L in the deep freeze. Either way it's also getting the side blocks for the lower grille again that narrow it up to match the width of the radiator.

It dawned on me a couple days ago I've been forgetting to turn off the heat when I start. Sure enough, with one minute of idle after cold start in 31F air, got on the road, engine got to 180F in just over two miles with open grill. Heck of a lot faster than the 4.0 ever could even with the block.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #1230
Thanks for the data. How did you construct the blocks?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #1231
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Keep in mind, not recommended for automatics unless you have separate trans temp monitoring.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #1232
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's easy on the 2nd gen. Remove two screws, pop out two plugs, and the upper grill is out. Then it's just a matter of blocking a couple unseen holes to make the back side's edges into one smooth curve (not difficult, even gorilla tape works well there), and ziptie some coroplast to it. The vertical supports are strong enough to hold it. I covered the face of the coroplast with black gorilla tape and it's essentially invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Keep in mind, not recommended for automatics unless you have separate trans temp monitoring.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #1233
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
17.5mpg on 35's and stock gears
Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #1234
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
22.8 on 33s stock gears :0
Finally put my aero turbine muffler on also
Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #1235
Timberland Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Timberland Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I must just drive like a maniac. 2010 4x4 access cab 2.7 5 speed Ive never gotten 20mpg out of it. Closest i came was with the stock 245's which was like 19.5. Ive tried granny driving and it didnt seem to help. I do a lot of stop and go city driving as well as highway driving in the 75-80mph range (any slower you get run over here...) so i guess thats why I dont do as good. Oh well ill just settle for the steady 18-19mpg, better than the 8-10 i was getting in my jeep.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #1236
bhd1223 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team Chief
bhd1223's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc98tacoma View Post
22.8 on 33s stock gears :0
Finally put my aero turbine muffler on also
May I ask how?
Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #1237
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberland Taco View Post
I must just drive like a maniac. 2010 4x4 access cab 2.7 5 speed Ive never gotten 20mpg out of it. Closest i came was with the stock 245's which was like 19.5. Ive tried granny driving and it didnt seem to help. I do a lot of stop and go city driving as well as highway driving in the 75-80mph range (any slower you get run over here...) so i guess thats why I dont do as good. Oh well ill just settle for the steady 18-19mpg, better than the 8-10 i was getting in my jeep.
18-19 is not bad for large tires on a 4x4 with a lot of stop and go driving.
Stop and go is a killer, even on my 5-lug spinning 215's.
If I never got on the freeway, I wouldn't top 18.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #1238
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
May I ask how?
Shifting at 2k and keeping it below 70mph on the highway
Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #1239
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
May I ask how?
I personally shift between 2200-2500 rpm
2k is a little low for me, and 70 is my max speed on the highway to keep the Rpms below the 2400 range
I have a intake, headers and a straight through exhaust, it helps quite abit
Better flow of air coming in and exhaust going out
Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #1240
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
Colder weather and winter blend, lost about 2.5MPG since mid October.