Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 Bangin, Fuel Sippin, Full Tank Challenge!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 AM   #1261
ToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt(hew)
ToyComa84's Tacoma Gallery
wow these numbers seem pretty impressive. is everyone in a 1st gen or 2nd gen?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #1262
Fletch has a spectacular aura aboutFletch has a spectacular aura aboutFletch has a spectacular aura about
Name: John 14:6
Fletch's Tacoma Gallery
2nd generation. I'm filling up at 420 miles on my long commutes (21.1 gal tank) with 2-2 3/4 left in the tank. My gas mileage had been getting better, is that normal on a taco?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #1263
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
2nd generation. I'm filling up at 420 miles on my long commutes (21.1 gal tank) with 2-2 3/4 left in the tank. My gas mileage had been getting better, is that normal on a taco?

As the engine breaks in, yes. I have 14,000 miles on my 2012 and the last fillup was 25.3 mpg with a mix of town and freeway driving which is not too bad for winter blend gasoline.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #1264
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Winter mode enabled! I have a feeling I'll need it next week when the temps are well into the negative numbers.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #1265
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
For the curious

upper block, white coroplast, black gorilla tape to hide it

tied in place

lower grill blocks

Old 01-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #1266
FmrFronty is on a distinguished road
Navy: TronChaser
FmrFronty's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my truck last month with only 4mi on it,its a crew Cab(heavier) and today the light finally came on at 320mi,strictly city driving.I checked the oil and it looked like I just had an oil change, we shall see after this 500mi road trip I'll be going on,hopefully mpg will get better.BTW does anyone know how much fuel is left when the light comes on, this one has a 21.2gal tank on it.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #1267

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
It's supposed to be 3 gallons or so but it's left a few of us stranded on the side of the road. For example, one time my old truck only gave me 4.7 miles of warning until it died. It would only take 18.5 gallons too which I found odd.

Then there's guys like worthywads who have all the luck and can run to the fumes every time without issue. He can pump in 20.x+ gallons when he gets there.

Apparently our gauges/senders might stick once in a while if you get one of the accursed ones. Now I plan as if I have 1/3 tank at 12 gallons burned on the trip.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #1268
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
Then there's guys like worthywads who have all the luck and can run to the fumes every time without issue. He can pump in 20.x+ gallons when he gets there.
Hey now that's not true, I only once had a 20.4 gallon fill, and that was just because I had an opportunity to get a 751 mile tank, and went for it to test the scangauge accuracy as well.

I generally have fill at 17.5-18.5 gallon and my light comes on at 17.5 so 3.5 gallons left for my tank. That seems to vary a little with some people reporting 18 or 18.5 gallon fills when the light comes on.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #1269

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, sorry, for some reason I thought you did it more. Spose I'll shut my big mouth
Old 01-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #1270
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah, sorry, for some reason I thought you did it more. Spose I'll shut my big mouth
Tell us more about results of your grill block.

I've never bothered thinking that the radiator shouldn't really come into play until the engine temp gets up to the thermostat temperature. But I love to hear what effect you are seeing.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #1271

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Will do.

I originally made it for my last truck because the 4.0 took a long time to get heat out of it, i.e. fifteen minutes or more in the real cold air. Once it finally warmed up, it was fine. It was a young engine so it shouldn't have had thermostat issues, but I agree, the radiator shouldn't come into play. However after the block went in I'd have heat in three or four minutes. Its major mileage boost was when used in combination with removal of the fender intake tube. That put the air filter box's opening directly behind the radiator and in the winter it wasn't unusual to have IAT's 30-40F above ambient going down the road.

This truck has been doing the same to me heat-wise. I hope the grill block speeds things up. I don't get much more than lukewarm heat until I get to work as that heavy iron block is a massive heatsink. Can't do the airbox trick though unfortunately so we'll see if mileage changes. I don't expect much there. After all I got 23.5 mpg last tank bucking snowdrifts in 4x4, how much better can it get in the winter?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #1272
FlightMedic178 is on a distinguished road
EMS: Flight Paramedic
Name: Nate
FlightMedic178's Tacoma Gallery
My best MPG and MPT so far!

Went 522 miles on a single tank when the light came on. Fueled up soon after 18.2 gallons = 28.5 MPG! In a double cab!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #1273
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Will do.

I originally made it for my last truck because the 4.0 took a long time to get heat out of it, i.e. fifteen minutes or more in the real cold air. Once it finally warmed up, it was fine. It was a young engine so it shouldn't have had thermostat issues, but I agree, the radiator shouldn't come into play. However after the block went in I'd have heat in three or four minutes. Its major mileage boost was when used in combination with removal of the fender intake tube. That put the air filter box's opening directly behind the radiator and in the winter it wasn't unusual to have IAT's 30-40F above ambient going down the road.

I also run an under the hood intake for better gas mileage.

Quote:
After all I got 23.5 mpg last tank bucking snowdrifts in 4x4, how much better can it get in the winter?

That's superb winter mileage.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #1274
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Filled up this evening, 419.1 miles / 17.14 gallons of Hy-Vee's finest 87 octane gas and corn squeezin's = 24.5 MPG Next tank won't even come close, unless I go visit Mom again. Can't complain too much, my last ten fill ups have averaged 23.5 MPG
Old 01-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #1275
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running between 22.5 and 24.5 this time of year, which I consider pretty good with cold temps and winter blend gas. I'll take it!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #1276
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
The three days below 0 MPG.......15.6........OUCH OUCH OUCH.. The engine coolant temp never got above 180 and I needed to drive several miles before the trans would shift into over drive.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #1277
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch x2

I hear you Mike. This cold snap is offering up some ugly baseline data. The morning temps have been in the low single digits rising into the mid-teens during the day (last 3 days or so). Temps before that weren't much better. Three trips into work netted around 19 MPGs and on the snow days, 4x4 dragged that average down more. Last tank was just a crack above a 20 MPGs average. One thing is clear: ethanol, while not great, isn't the biggest detractor to decent FE. Cold weather is king. I feel for those in the northern most states - that level of cold sucks!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #1278
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
I only had it in 4WD for about five minutes to get through some nasty drifts. I even used some cardboard to block the radiator. The killer was the trans not shifting into OD. The ultra guage was showing 13 to14 MPG before shifting up.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #1279

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
This tank is off to a BAD start!

This winter is really getting horrible. I couldn't go fast enough for 5th gear for six days.

Here was a 2nd gear day

http://youtu.be/UzsmX7xAdSQ

I am LOVING the grill block though. It gets good heat in the cab now and the coolant is staying stable between 186-192F after it warms up.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #1280
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This tank is off to a BAD start!

This winter is really getting horrible. I couldn't go fast enough for 5th gear for six days.

Here was a 2nd gear day

http://youtu.be/UzsmX7xAdSQ

I am LOVING the grill block though. It gets good heat in the cab now and the coolant is staying stable between 186-192F after it warms up.

I never have figured out why people live up there.....