Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 Bangin, Fuel Sippin, Full Tank Challenge!

Old 01-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #1261
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
The three days below 0 MPG.......15.6........OUCH OUCH OUCH.. The engine coolant temp never got above 180 and I needed to drive several miles before the trans would shift into over drive.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #1262
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch x2

I hear you Mike. This cold snap is offering up some ugly baseline data. The morning temps have been in the low single digits rising into the mid-teens during the day (last 3 days or so). Temps before that weren't much better. Three trips into work netted around 19 MPGs and on the snow days, 4x4 dragged that average down more. Last tank was just a crack above a 20 MPGs average. One thing is clear: ethanol, while not great, isn't the biggest detractor to decent FE. Cold weather is king. I feel for those in the northern most states - that level of cold sucks!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #1263
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I only had it in 4WD for about five minutes to get through some nasty drifts. I even used some cardboard to block the radiator. The killer was the trans not shifting into OD. The ultra guage was showing 13 to14 MPG before shifting up.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #1264
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
This tank is off to a BAD start!

This winter is really getting horrible. I couldn't go fast enough for 5th gear for six days.

Here was a 2nd gear day

http://youtu.be/UzsmX7xAdSQ

I am LOVING the grill block though. It gets good heat in the cab now and the coolant is staying stable between 186-192F after it warms up.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #1265
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
This tank is off to a BAD start!

This winter is really getting horrible. I couldn't go fast enough for 5th gear for six days.

Here was a 2nd gear day

http://youtu.be/UzsmX7xAdSQ

I am LOVING the grill block though. It gets good heat in the cab now and the coolant is staying stable between 186-192F after it warms up.

I never have figured out why people live up there.....
Old 01-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #1266
texascolt45 is a jewel in the roughtexascolt45 is a jewel in the roughtexascolt45 is a jewel in the roughtexascolt45 is a jewel in the rough
Name: mike
texascolt45's Tacoma Gallery
gas

I ran mine till the light came on.342 and 17.7 gallons.265/75-16's.4 cyl 5 speed prerunner access cab.125,000 miles
Old 01-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #1267
Speck is on a distinguished road
Speck's Tacoma Gallery
Just checking in to report my best mileage tank yet, 22.6 mpg all highway at speeds up to 80+ (slower than flow of traffic). I thought the excessive speeds would've tanked the MPG but not so in this case for some reason.

I did just get rotated and balanced which fixed a ~70mph vibration, but I wouldn't think that would have much if any effect.

2007 AC 2.7L 4x4 w 90k miles and camper shell
Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #1268
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Now that's redemption from a bad beginning! 306.3 mi, 13.28 gal, avg 23.1 mpg.

It has to help that I FINALLY got those noisy, heavy all-terrain tires off the truck.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 AM   #1269
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Well, pleasant surprise when I filled up Sunday evening. 418.8 miles, 16.48 gallons = 25.4 mpg! Had a little interstate driving in there, so that helped, but that is a really good tank for me in the winter. Long live the 2.7!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #1270

Cold weather sure kills the MPG
Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #1271
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
A little better on this tank. The trip to Breckenridge and back last weekend helped a lot with 32 mpg round trip.

535 miles on 18.474 gallons for 29.0 mpg.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #1272
bhd1223 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team Chief
bhd1223's Tacoma Gallery
To think I was happy today to get back over 18 mpg with around 18.7. I guess I'm just too aggressive. I didn't notice it much in the warm months but maybe with the addition of cold temperatures the duratracs are pulling it down some, probably also due to me airing them down a little in the winter. Perhaps the next set I'll jump to the Nokian Rotiiva as my experience with Nokian has been pleasant.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #1273

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
It was a short fill, not even 8 gallons, but I wanted to beat the price hike. With burning gas trying to jump a car for 40 minutes I averaged 20.4 mpg, my new worst ever.

We're supposed to get another foot of snow tomorrow. I don't know where they're going to put it. They just opened up my normal road to work with a road grader and for well over a mile the 'west wall' on that road is 10-15 feet high.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #1274
cnw126 is on a distinguished road
cnw126's Tacoma Gallery
Hello All,

With all this talk of the cold weather I figured I would chime in!

Last week I drove to western PA from Delaware. The ambient temp was between 5 and 9 degrees F.

I got 18 mpg, all highway miles doing pretty much 70 mph the entire way. 15.6 gal for 280 miles.

The only caveat is that it was hilly, windy, cold and I have only 3500 miles on the truck.

I was disappointed with the mileage none the less. Worst tank I have had yet.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #1275

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
18 mpg doing 70 in a 4x4 not even broke in at that kind of cold is nothing to sneeze at. It can only go up from there!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #1276
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw126 View Post
Hello All,

With all this talk of the cold weather I figured I would chime in!

Last week I drove to western PA from Delaware. The ambient temp was between 5 and 9 degrees F.

I got 18 mpg, all highway miles doing pretty much 70 mph the entire way. 15.6 gal for 280 miles.

The only caveat is that it was hilly, windy, cold and I have only 3500 miles on the truck.

I was disappointed with the mileage none the less. Worst tank I have had yet.
You are right, you can do a lot better.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #1277
dubveeyota is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
dubveeyota's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my worst mileage on A tank yet. I haven't filled up and done the math, and I'm not sure I want to. Gas light came on at 238 miles. We've had several days in the single digits and below zero, so I waste a lot by letting the truck warm up for 15 minutes before and after work, plus it's been in 4 hi for 70% of this tank.

07 AC 4x4 5 speed running on 265/75/16's. In the summer I do much better
Old 02-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #1278

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubveeyota View Post
I just got my worst mileage on A tank yet. I haven't filled up and done the math, and I'm not sure I want to. Gas light came on at 238 miles. We've had several days in the single digits and below zero, so I waste a lot by letting the truck warm up for 15 minutes before and after work, plus it's been in 4 hi for 70% of this tank.

07 AC 4x4 5 speed running on 265/75/16's. In the summer I do much better
I warm up for maybe 15 seconds even if it's 0F, why 15 minutes?
Old 02-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #1279
dubveeyota is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
dubveeyota's Tacoma Gallery
I like my cab temperature to be tropical when I get in my truck. I'm not cut out for cold climates. I really need to move back to texas
Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubveeyota View Post
I like my cab temperature to be tropical when I get in my truck. I'm not cut out for cold climates. I really need to move back to texas
My job requires me to be outside quite a bit, so I'm dressed for the cold, no need for heat besides keeping the windows clear.