Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

need reg cab 4x4 auto info

Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
joedart is on a distinguished road
joedart's Tacoma Gallery
need reg cab 4x4 auto info

possibly looking to swap out my 08 prerunner reg cab manual for reg cab auto 4x4.

i'm looking for specific info on driving dynamics of the auto trans. how does it feel in everyday driving?? i've never owned an auto and am worried it might feel a little dogish.

thanks
Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I test drove one when at dealership trading in my 05 AC prerunner for an 08 SR5 reg cab prerunner with buckets. My impression was it was doggy. My 05 was 4 cyl 5 speed with oversize tires and lifted and it went much better than the 4wd did. With the AC running and just driving it around the streets and down one stretch where I could go frwy speed for a bit left me unimpressed.......but others are OK with it. Just seemed like you'd be in passing gear most of the time just to keep up in traffic.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
this yr and it comes with bucket seats too.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
joedart's Tacoma Gallery
t@co... thanks for the info.

good news is i can get it for 18000 and it's certified with 3400 miles... also get to test drive it in 7000ft+ elevation.

bad news, possible deal breaker... owner was a heavy smoker.

gonna check it out tomorrow on the way to tahoe.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #6
Thats what she said..
Bgwood88 is on a distinguished road

Bgwood88's Tacoma Gallery
Ive owned mine for about 2 months now. I love it! it cruises around town very nice it is very easy to speed and not notice it. which it seems to me to be best suited for doing 70ish on the interstate. the power is a little lacking on some bigger hills but the downshift from the auto is very smooth. I personally wanted the Manual but i couldn't find it with the bucket seats.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgwood88 View Post
I personally wanted the Manual but i couldn't find it with the bucket seats.
Sorry, not possible anymore...they stopped making that combo in regular cabs a few years back.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedart View Post
t@co... thanks for the info.

good news is i can get it for 18000 and it's certified with 3400 miles... also get to test drive it in 7000ft+ elevation.

bad news, possible deal breaker... owner was a heavy smoker.

gonna check it out tomorrow on the way to tahoe.
Sounds like a steal to me if you don't mind AT and the smoke...get that thing detailed, air it out and febreeze the heck out of it. I smoke in my truck and my GF (nonsmoker) has always commented about how it really does not smell at all. I just make sure windows are cracked and I keep up with cleaning it...this is not to say you can't detect smoke at all if you are nonsmoker, but I think for that price you can rid most of it.

Oh, and I like to burn a stick of incense while it is parked on occasion too.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
keep your manual transmission, real men drive stick, automatics suck
Old 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
vtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to beholdvtmactech is a splendid one to behold

Army:
vtmactech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
I'm a service connected disabled vet and due to an injury while on active duty I can no longer drive a vehicle with a clutch, what does that make me? Not a real man?
I am looking for a Reg. Cab 4x4 with an automatic to replace my current Honda Ridgeline and am ecstatic that Toyota is offering this combo.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya right. I drove stick for the last EIGHT years all my daily drivers were manual. I have switched to automatic Taco and would NEVER go back. I have to make/receive phone calls while driving as well as make notes, not mentioning automatic is way convenient. The only way how I would get manual car again is if I were to get a weekend fun car...
Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #12

Why can't we all just get along? ; )

I love manual transmission and have had a long stretch of them, but I doubt I'd be so happy w/one if I lived in a metropolitan area bigger than Charleston. They get a little old in gridlock...anyway, back on topic, what did you decide OP?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
coltkid is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
coltkid's Tacoma Gallery
tacoma 4x4 reg cab

i own a 2010 tacoma reg cab 2wd.. i have had this truck for just over 15 months & have put 21,000 miles on it..2 weeks ago i test drove a 2011 tacoma reg cab 4x4 with auto..to me it just didnt have the power i thought it should, the larger tires and extra 600lbs or so the 4x4 weighs over the 2wd were to much for the 2.7 in my opinion..so i purchased a second 2011 tacoma reg cab 2wd i liked the 1st one so much..
Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
Tacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacovendor's Tacoma Gallery
I drive a 2010 stick, my son got the 2011 auto and I have driven both. Here's my 2 cents worth on both.
1. Even mine with all of the mods has a noticeable amount of power than the AT, this might be due to the gearing or the ECU. I would love to see it it could be chipped and see the difference.
2. My bench in more comfortable than his buckets (my preference) the draw back is the bench will not recline and you don't have a place to hide your gun(console).
3. This is drivers choice, I also have an FJ and would hate it in a stick, but love it in the TACO!
4. Funny note I have a 1987 with a 22r (163k miles) an it will smoke both of the new trucks!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmactech View Post
I'm a service connected disabled vet and due to an injury while on active duty I can no longer drive a vehicle with a clutch, what does that make me? Not a real man?
I am looking for a Reg. Cab 4x4 with an automatic to replace my current Honda Ridgeline and am ecstatic that Toyota is offering this combo.
Well you have a legitimate excuse that is okay, but guys who are fit to drive stick need to do it. The manual transmission is dying out because people are too lazy and spoiled to drive them, or it is just how lazy America is getting. You look at Europe and 90% of all vehicles sold there are stick, while only 7% of all vehicles sold here are, it is sad, this country is getting so fat and lazy i worry immensely about it.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #16
joedart's Tacoma Gallery
i test drove the truck.

i felt the auto was surprisingly nice, adequate power and smooth. unfortunately it smelled horrible from the cig smoke and the rockers and overfenders were trashed from gravel and brush.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I test drove the new single cab prerunner 4x4 auto and it sucked . I hated it you probably will too . Go stick
Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #18
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 adds 300-400 lbs for reg cabs .
Old 10-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Insert foot.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well you have a legitimate excuse that is okay, but guys who are fit to drive stick need to do it. The manual transmission is dying out because people are too lazy and spoiled to drive them, or it is just how lazy America is getting. You look at Europe and 90% of all vehicles sold there are stick, while only 7% of all vehicles sold here are, it is sad, this country is getting so fat and lazy i worry immensely about it.
Maybe because they have more stop and go traffic,mountains,hills..... perhaps!....this would probably trash an AT in a hurry.....hmmmm.