Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

3 inch body lift?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
flyers9780 is on a distinguished road
flyers9780's Tacoma Gallery
3 inch body lift?

i have a 2001 toy tac 4 cyl 2.7 lit.... thinking about putting a 3 inch body lift with 33 inch tires. question is how much do you think it will cost with lift and a garage installing it? also would i have to change the gears or anything? or how much would a 3 inch suspension lift go for?
Old 09-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get a body lift. Period.
its the cheapest lift but makes your truck less safe, and adds nothing to offload ability

Also, I don't think 33s are a good idea on a 4banger. It'd be like an elephant riding a moped.

The cheapest cusp lift would be to go with 5100s (less tthan$300 form downsouth motorsports) set at 2.5 on the front with an AAL in the back (70 from toytec lifts)
Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Skip the junk body lift and go with 5100s. Not sure how much a shop would charge you for the install. A gear change is needed but it would help out the lack of power you have.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
flyers9780 is on a distinguished road
flyers9780's Tacoma Gallery
ok thanks. what are 5100's? is that a susp lift? and how much would it be to change gears
Old 09-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Search 5100s and gears depends on who does it. Probably $500ish just for the rear and double if you are 4wd.

Edit: 5100s
Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
putting a body lift is the worst thing that you can do, esp to 4 banger, i put one on mine and now its cracking through my frame in the back and the front.

i had to get the front one welded back in place with a custom plate because it literally cracked all the way through my frame after hitting a ditch.

dont get me wrong it looks good with 33's, but its not worth it, just get the suspension kit. another down fall is if u dont buy the space guards to cover the gap in the back it looks retarded and they aint cheap otherwise youll be able to see straight through the bed of your truck and the frame
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
tekki9 is on a distinguished road
Name: Owner
tekki9's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Brother,

I have ran a 3" body & a 4" sus. lift with a 4cly & a race cam - -

all good - - using a wide block or better yet - believe or not hockey pucks. will
provide a larger footprint at the mounting points and wouldn't cracked the body.

Oh yeah by the way I run 39.5 tsl swmprs - yes on a 4cyl. 5sp man. trns & cntrfrce clutch - - -

I beat the crap out of it, I jump the bitch - - i built it to KILL IT!

You can weld or even place a metal plate on top of the lift to widen contact to the body - - -

jmtc -
Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekki9 View Post
Hey Brother,

I have ran a 3" body & a 4" sus. lift with a 4cly & a race cam - -

all good - - using a wide block or better yet - believe or not hockey pucks. will
provide a larger footprint at the mounting points and wouldn't cracked the body.

Oh yeah by the way I run 39.5 tsl swmprs - yes on a 4cyl. 5sp man. trns & cntrfrce clutch - - -

I beat the crap out of it, I jump the bitch - - i built it to KILL IT!

You can weld or even place a metal plate on top of the lift to widen contact to the body - - -

jmtc -
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Derp.
X2 you run 39's
Old 09-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
yea thats what i did to the front one, i welded a plate to stop the cracking but i havnt got to the back one yet
Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
yota new.o is on a distinguished road

Name: joe
yota new.o's Tacoma Gallery
could you take those 5100's and use them with a spacer as well to achieve more lift. your upgrading the shock performance and gaining height with both
Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota new.o View Post
could you take those 5100's and use them with a spacer as well to achieve more lift. your upgrading the shock performance and gaining height with both
You would stress the crap out of everything else.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
yota new.o is on a distinguished road

Name: joe
yota new.o's Tacoma Gallery
ahh touche i didnt think about that cause i have a spacer on right now and block in the back bad idea. the leafsprings are shot in the back but the front is holding up just fine. a set of wheelers f pack leafs and 1.5 toyotec shackles for the rear but for the front could i leave it just with the spacer. id does see dirt and mudd but not very often?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
Triangleacre1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
Triangleacre1's Tacoma Gallery
Check out www.fatbobsgarage.com I got my lift there. Its a spacer in the front and AAL in the rear. I know many people don't like the spacers tho.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
Banned
Stout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant future

Navy: aviation machinists mate on the Lockheed p-3 orion
Name: Jason
Stout890's Tacoma Gallery
body lifts are garbage....my taco had one from the previous owner and i feel like im gonna roll the bitch on every turn.

you can have mine if you come take it off my truck.......lol

im taking it of anyway, fuck body lifts!

her-derp
Old 10-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout890 View Post
body lifts are garbage....my taco had one from the previous owner and i feel like im gonna roll the bitch on every turn.

you can have mine if you come take it off my truck.......lol

im taking it of anyway, fuck body lifts!

her-derp
I agree that suspension lifts are better than body lifts, but not for this reason^^^.
Why would a body lift make it feel like you are going to roll your truck? A suspension lift raise your whole body and frame with engine, transmission etc. vs. a body lift that raises only the body, so with a suspension lift your center of gravity is actually higher than with a body lift, so it would feel even more like it's going to roll with a suspension lift.

(A statement like this should be clarified that there is a difference between suspension lift with spacers and original suspension components vs. suspension lift with super dooper stronger suspension components.)
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
perhaps its because with a quality suspension lift you get more "sturdy" suspension that reduces body roll, when a body lift just props the body up by X'' and the stock (most of the time) suspension is retained.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
Banned
Stout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant future

Navy: aviation machinists mate on the Lockheed p-3 orion
Name: Jason
Stout890's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
I agree that suspension lifts are better than body lifts, but not for this reason^^^.
Why would a body lift make it feel like you are going to roll your truck? A suspension lift raise your whole body and frame with engine, transmission etc. vs. a body lift that raises only the body, so with a suspension lift your center of gravity is actually higher than with a body lift, so it would feel even more like it's going to roll with a suspension lift.
I say that it makes it feel like it's gonna roll. It feels that way to me because your elevated above the rest of the vehicle on a pedastool so there is more moment in the sway of the truck from up there. Not saying it would roll. But I wouldn't take my chances with the way it feels...