Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Are you happy with your 2011 4 cylinder double cab?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
TOYPARTS is on a distinguished road
TOYPARTS's Tacoma Gallery
Are you happy with your 2011 4 cylinder double cab?

I am looking at the I4 Double cab prerunner, are you happy with yours. Do you wish you bought the V6 or even the V6 long bed? What double cab do you have? Base, prerunner double cab base or prerunner double cab sr5.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
bob3939 is on a distinguished road
bob3939's Tacoma Gallery
I have a SR5 Double Cab short bed. Plenty of power, and 19 MPG around town, 24 MPG highway.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
bolson is a name known to allbolson is a name known to allbolson is a name known to allbolson is a name known to allbolson is a name known to allbolson is a name known to all

bolson's Tacoma Gallery
If you get a 4cylinder and upgrade to 265/75/16 tires your MPG will drop to 18mpg. According to peoples posts, a V6 will get ~18MPG with same tire size. Only get an I4 if you plan on keeping the 245s IMO.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYPARTS View Post
I am looking at the I4 Double cab prerunner, are you happy with yours. Do you wish you bought the V6 or even the V6 long bed? What double cab do you have? Base, prerunner double cab base or prerunner double cab sr5.
Hi will try and answer your questions. "Are you Happy", no I'm Super Happy .

"Do I wish I bought the V6", Absolutely Not. The trends on this signature will tell that story. . If you want to pull travel trailer that would be different.

"What double cab do I have"? The Prerunner SR5 short bed, dealers refer to this truck as the 7186. Here is a photo.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the truck cannot be built with fog lights, was pretty stupid but sure production has their reasons. I did buy a set of OEM fog lamps, factory OEM switch and aftermarket harness and relay. That fixed that! No other complaints, wait... don't like the stiffness of the tiny gas pedal.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
mica14tac is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: David
mica14tac's Tacoma Gallery
2011 double cab owner

I purchased my speedway blue 2011 Prerunner SR-5 double cab back in December 2010. I had the I4 in my old access cab and thought it could also do the job in my new double cab. At first I was not convinced, but after a few hundred miles I was satisfied with the power and economy. I also routinely tow a small 5X7 trailer with a load weight sometimes exceeding 1000 lbs. I normally tow at highway speeds and the truck does well but if I push the truck to 80 MPH mileage will suffer declining to 17-18 from 20-21 MPG. I enjoy reading the V-6 and I4 views but for my needs I really find the I4 very rewarding and cost effective on the initial purchase price and operating cost. What a bargin for 2011!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
johnanm will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Pilot
johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
I got my 2.7 Double cab SR5 Prerunner about a week ago, the power is more than enough as a daily driver, haven't towed with it yet but it would definitely have enough pull for whatever light to medium duty load you want to haul. No indication of mileage so far, only on my second tank and not sure how much the dealer put in the first time.

Overall it's a great truck, lots of space and storage compartments. You won't do wrong by getting one.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Just make sure you test drive it, and don't expect it to be a rocket.

It will get the job done, and the 2.7 is a bullet proof motor.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
BigRig is on a distinguished road
Name: BG
BigRig's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 2011 dblcab base mod. Is it the same i4 as in the sr5? What's the difference between base mod and the sr5
Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
BigRig is on a distinguished road
Name: BG
BigRig's Tacoma Gallery
Also it's a auto. And I seem to be getting about 27-29 mpg hwy. Is this average?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There is only one 4 banger engine.

SR5 Extra Value Package: Power Outside Mirrors (Access Cab models only), Remote Keyless Entry System, Cruise Control, Variable-Speed Wipers, Chrome Grille Surround & Rear Bumper, Color-Keyed Front Bumper & Overfenders, Fog Lamps (V6 models only), Sliding Rear Window with Privacy Glass, Bucket Seats with Driver Lumbar Support, SR5 Fabric Trim, Metallic-Tone Instrument Panel Trim, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio Controls & Leather-Wrapped Shifter (A/T models only), Dual Sunvisors with Mirrors & Extenders, Tailgate-handle integrated backup camera [1] linked with an auto-dimming mirror with monitor [1], SR5 Badge
Old 09-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig View Post
I have the 2011 dblcab base mod. Is it the same i4 as in the sr5? What's the difference between base mod and the sr5
Is it a prerunner? Then it's probably a convenience package truck. I believe it's cosmetics between the and SR5 package. Painted front bumper, painted over wheel flares, power mirrors, seat fabric, leather steering wheel, backup camera to name a few...
Old 09-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There is only one 4 banger engine.

SR5 Extra Value Package: Power Outside Mirrors (Access Cab models only), Remote Keyless Entry System, Cruise Control, Variable-Speed Wipers, Chrome Grille Surround & Rear Bumper, Color-Keyed Front Bumper & Overfenders, Fog Lamps (V6 models only), Sliding Rear Window with Privacy Glass, Bucket Seats with Driver Lumbar Support, SR5 Fabric Trim, Metallic-Tone Instrument Panel Trim, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio Controls & Leather-Wrapped Shifter (A/T models only), Dual Sunvisors with Mirrors & Extenders, Tailgate-handle integrated backup camera [1] linked with an auto-dimming mirror with monitor [1], SR5 Badge
The above brochure information is not entirely correct, or reads misleading in regards to the SR5 double cab - It does in fact have power mirrors.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by litegide24 View Post
The above brochure information is not entirely correct, or reads misleading in regards to the SR5 double cab - It does in fact have power mirrors.
It says access cab models only.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It says access cab models only.
Yeah I read it (and so did a dozen sales people looking at in the brochure) and was ruled only access cab models have power mirrors, that was in deed wrong since double cab has power mirrors as well. Everybody had the brochure but no vehicles in this region.

Same blurb about fog lights in v6 only, although they were right on with that one. My 4 cyl double cab auto had no lamps, no switch and no harness
Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolson View Post
If you get a 4cylinder and upgrade to 265/75/16 tires your MPG will drop to 18mpg. According to peoples posts, a V6 will get ~18MPG with same tire size. Only get an I4 if you plan on keeping the 245s IMO.
glad i read this.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
Redfish will become famous soon enoughRedfish will become famous soon enough

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 DC prerunner. Its a great truck and 2.7 is a large 4cyl. It will get up and go if needed. My only complaint is the cruise control, its garbage. If I had to tow I would buy the small V8 tundra. I like the 245's as well, they look good on the alloys.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
jnorris5 is on a distinguished road
jnorris5's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

I got my 2011 2.7l DBL Cab pre-runner SR5 last week and so far I love it, i averaged a little over 22mpg on my first tank. My wife and I love how it drives and expect to take it on our next vacation over our 07 Altima.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #18
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolson View Post
my 2.7 AC 4x4 went from actual calculated 22mpg to 20 mpg going from 245/75-16 to 265/75-16.

i do not think my mileage has actually changed very much, if at all. before with the stock tires the speedo read from 3-5mph fast. now the speedo is dead on, compared to multiple GPS units.

so, i was in actuality getting ~20mpg before, just the odometer was registering more mileage then actually going.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #19
TJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: TIM
TJGARZA84's Tacoma Gallery
I have had my 2011 double cab prerunner for about 8 months now --- Its honestly a great truck

all stock i was getting about 380 miles to a tank - could have possible pulled 400 i believe

now i have a 3 inch lift and 265/75/r16 bf goodrich all terrains on stock rims - now i get about 350 a tank max

it can get a bit sluggish on steep hills - just push the gas a little and that engine picks up - if not i drop gear and it will take off

i usually just go to work and back so the 4cyl is great - rarely do i need to speed

the truck will go about 65 mph right at or slightly below 2k rpm range
Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #20
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney View Post
my 2.7 AC 4x4 went from actual calculated 22mpg to 20 mpg going from 245/75-16 to 265/75-16.

i do not think my mileage has actually changed very much, if at all. before with the stock tires the speedo read from 3-5mph fast. now the speedo is dead on, compared to multiple GPS units.

so, i was in actuality getting ~20mpg before, just the odometer was registering more mileage then actually going.
Speedo and ODO collect data from different sensors. Your new tires corrected your speedo, but your ODO is now displaying fewer miles than you are truly traveling.