1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Oil Change 2011 Tacoma - Engine Oil, how much is to much? See photo

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by litegide24, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Sep 24, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I want to thank you for your idea to let the oil drain from the tube to get a good reading. I've owned my truck for over 4 years and sanded/etched the stick thinking it was the problem. Roughing the stick up helped but the oil still smeared. The reading I got yesterday was perfect..right at the top dot on BOTH sides of the stick!! My owners manual says 5 1/2qts but I allways got a reading above the top "full" dot by around 1/4". Last oil change I just added 5 1/4qts and it reads right on the money. I left the stick out only a couple hours before inserting...plenty of time to let the tube drain. Thanks again for the heads up...rep sent your way!!:)

2. Sep 25, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    Paulie

Paulie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paulie
    USA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    The 2.7 is a great engine. I was using mobile 1 5w-30 full syn. from 1st change to 45k and changed every 5k or 6months. Since being introduce to Amsoil(far superior to Mobile) I switched to Amsoil signature series 0w-30. With mobile the engine would make top end noise at start-up for a sec. or two. With Amsoil the start up noise(amplified by a garage) completely vanished, it has a higher film strength and flows better cold. So now the 2.7 is on a 12 month 25k oil change schedule. Prefered customers with Amsoil($10) get wholesale prices and that is cheaper or the same as Mobile. I am an Amsoil dealer but recommed Royal Purple as well. Either way you will save $ w/ less oil changes, save $ with better mpg and save $ in the future when your engine has 300k and is in perfect condition. The other thing is don't use traditional undercoating, use chainsaw lube it's far superior. I plan on keeping my '02 forever and do the preventative maintenance so it will.

3. Sep 25, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Sorry, but as soon as you said you work for Amsoil you lost all your credibility. But I'm not saying that Amsoil is bad (I actually like it).

4. Sep 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    I'm not trying to make any arguments about the subject at hand, just wanted to say that the filter really does hold about 1/3 quart if not more. After my second oil change the lash adjusters clattered for a second or two when I started the engine to circulate the oil. Since then I've been filling new oil filters up to the top before screwing them in. The first time I was really surprised that it took a little over 1/3 quart to fill the darn thing, I guess the filter paper soaks up a ton of oil when it's dry.

5. Sep 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Have noticed that if you let it sit overnight the back side of the stick will read perfect on the 1st pull. It sure is a booger to read when the oil is clean even on the back side.

6. Oct 3, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    I used to do the 5.5-5.75Qt deal but gave up. I got annoyed at leaving a 1/4 full mobil 1 around taking up space. I just did a change last night and I used one of those newer 5.2Qt jugs of M1. Pouring out what I drained ended up filling that jig almost to the brim so i got about 5.25QT out probably.

Engine has been out for 6 years and everyone putting in from 5-6Qts and I have yet to hear of an issue.....The dip stick is useless.

5 years ago.....http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161695

7. Oct 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    This issue has been covered many times- My truck came filled from the factory with the dip stick reading at least an inch above top fill hole. After my first oil change, I went with the 6.1 qts w/filter as specified in the owner's manual and again it was reading well above the top fill hole. At the end of the day I am running with the 5.5 qt w/filter oil change, which leaves me just above the top fill hole as many have mentioned they do. I have always relied on my oil levels with every motor based on the dipstick of the motor, so why would I change now? ;)

8. Oct 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    you would change this if the dipstick was incorrect, but that's never happened before.........

Bottom line is 1 qt over/under DOES NOT MATTER. Everyone will do what they feel comfy with. As we speak Tacomas are driving around with between 5-6.1 US qts in them and seem to be fine. If people were using 6 qts 5 years ago and don't have issues then we're done here.

9. Oct 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
  10. Oct 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    frog13

frog13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why don't you change the oil.....put in what the manual says to put in and drive it a few miles.......then on a level surface, check your stick. If it is the same on the stick as it showed when the dealer changed it,well,then it's accurate....
    I've heard this concern before about the sticks on Tacomas.Bring it up to the dealer ,also,call Toyota and inquire if it shows the same on both oil changes.

11. Dec 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM
    muleyhunter

muleyhunter Git-r-Done

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Logan Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7L 4x4
    Afe Pro dry cold air intake, lce header, dynamax super turbo muffler, scangauge II booming stereo
    I added too much oil in a chev truck once and it blew a massive oil leak that week.definitely hard on the engine and no good for it in any way

12. Dec 28, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    deadhed61

deadhed61 :notsure:

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    A little lift and a little armor
    Random question from a newb... on the 11' is the oil filter located in the top right of the engine compartment, upside down?? Just wondering cause that's how it is in my 12' and because of Newton, not much oil can hide in there.

13. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    patpatpat

patpatpat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 Prerunner SR5 4cyl 2WD DC
    Toyota dealership should warrant their service. If the work was done by them and in recent days, bring it back and they should fix it for no charge. Even if they have to perform another oil change.

With that said, by the time you get to the dealership with that warm engine of yours. Ask a tech to show you how to read the dipstick and ask her to fix it if it is out of spec.

14. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    jgrexx

jgrexx New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Reg Cab
    i've gotten all my oil changes at the dealer...they always put 5.5qts in...it says so on the receipt.

15. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    Tacos Por Vida

Tacos Por Vida Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominick
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    97 Taco
    3-inch revtek spacers 265/75 BFG AT Flowmaster exhaust K&N CAI 12'' Type R w/ 1000w amp pioneer cd deck tinted windows
    X2. Sorry if i read your post wrong or if this a a repost i kinda just skimmed through this entire thread, but your having problems reading the oil level cuz of a smeared dipstick? Are you wiping the oil off the dipstick after you get a reading :confused:?? You should have to wait for the oil to set before checking the levels again. Just get a rag or some paper towels and clean the dipstick before putting it back in, the oil won't smear if you clean it off.

16. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Same here. 5qt jug plus 1/2qt from an individual bottle brings it right to the top mark.

Gelo is getting 6 quarts out because he's putting 6 quarts in.

But honestly, 1/2 qt overfill is not going to be enough to hurt anything on these engines.

17. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    All you summed up is that you are draining out what you put in.

If you put 7qts in, you'd get 7qts out.
    There's a dozen other threads on the 2.7 and the standard opinion is that it takes 5.5 to properly fill with a filter change.

But 1/2qt either way is not going to hurt the engine. It's not like a dirtbike where 1/2qt is the difference between blowing oil out the breather or starving the top end.

18. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    And virtually everyone else is using 5.5

I've done 2 oil changes on my '08 with 5.5 and it's come up to the top dimple and remained there every time I've checked it.

Chill man... you really seem to be getting worked up over nothing.

19. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Okay, whatever.

Put 6 quarts in if you want.

20. Mar 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Interesting that you seem to have to make two posts for every reply.

Just because you repeat something often enough and loud enough doesn't make it right.

The fucking dipstick shows "full" at 5.5 quarts.
    It doesn't indicate "add" until you're down to 4.5.

Nobody is going to hurt their engine refilling with only 5.5
    However, overfilling CAN hurt an engine. While filling 6 isn't going to hurt, an overfill will cause the crank and counterweights to dip into the oil in the pan. This leads to foaming... foam is not a good lubricant.
    You're better off being 1/2qt low than 1/2qt high.

Do you have an aux oil cooler? That'll make a difference in capacity.

Products Discussed in

To Top