LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

First Oil Change 2011 Tacoma - Engine Oil, how much is to much? See photo

Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #41
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
I used to do the 5.5-5.75Qt deal but gave up. I got annoyed at leaving a 1/4 full mobil 1 around taking up space. I just did a change last night and I used one of those newer 5.2Qt jugs of M1. Pouring out what I drained ended up filling that jig almost to the brim so i got about 5.25QT out probably.

Engine has been out for 6 years and everyone putting in from 5-6Qts and I have yet to hear of an issue.....The dip stick is useless.

5 years ago.....http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=161695
Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #42
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
This issue has been covered many times- My truck came filled from the factory with the dip stick reading at least an inch above top fill hole. After my first oil change, I went with the 6.1 qts w/filter as specified in the owner's manual and again it was reading well above the top fill hole. At the end of the day I am running with the 5.5 qt w/filter oil change, which leaves me just above the top fill hole as many have mentioned they do. I have always relied on my oil levels with every motor based on the dipstick of the motor, so why would I change now?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #43
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
I have always relied on my oil levels with every motor based on the dipstick of the motor, so why would I change now?
you would change this if the dipstick was incorrect, but that's never happened before.........

Bottom line is 1 qt over/under DOES NOT MATTER. Everyone will do what they feel comfy with. As we speak Tacomas are driving around with between 5-6.1 US qts in them and seem to be fine. If people were using 6 qts 5 years ago and don't have issues then we're done here.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #45
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by litegide24 View Post
I took my truck to the dealer about a week ago to get the oil changed for 1st time. It had just over 5,000 miles. The dealer seemed to think it was 10k, went back and fourth and told them the 2.7 was the exception.... whew

Anyway, after some guidance they finally understood this was written in the toyota care booklet as an exception ("the 2011 2.7's are to be scheduled every 5k miles and synthetic oil is to be used").

They did the oil change and I checked the oil a few days later and it seemed way full... hmmm.

I decided to check the truck again today after it was sitting awhile, was on cool on level surface. The two dots on dip stick were about 1.75" under where the actual oil line was?

See the photo, I have a screw driver pointing at the approxamite oil level. Kinda hard to tell with the new golden oil on that dipstick.

Is this bad for the vehicle?

Will probably get gas tomorrow, not sure if having to much oil hurts mpg or anything else. It may just be me but since oil chane it does seem to run at slightly lower rpm at highway speeds...

The dealer receipt says:

5,000 MILE SYNTHETIC VEHICLE SERVICE- COMP MAINT
05KSYN COMP MAINT 27CPTCM0.50

1 90975-YZZG1 FILTER S/A, OIL
5 00279-OWQTE -01 OW20-SINGLE QUART (W

TACOMA 4CYL OIL CHANGE AT 5K WITH TOYOTA SYNTHETIC 102R 4 CYL MAINT WITH OIL CHANGE AT 5K 27 ISP 0.00
Why don't you change the oil.....put in what the manual says to put in and drive it a few miles.......then on a level surface, check your stick. If it is the same on the stick as it showed when the dealer changed it,well,then it's accurate....
I've heard this concern before about the sticks on Tacomas.Bring it up to the dealer ,also,call Toyota and inquire if it shows the same on both oil changes.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #46
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Why don't you change the oil.....put in what the manual says to put in and drive it a few miles.......then on a level surface, check your stick. If it is the same on the stick as it showed when the dealer changed it,well,then it's accurate....
I've heard this concern before about the sticks on Tacomas.Bring it up to the dealer ,also,call Toyota and inquire if it shows the same on both oil changes.
Update: Here is news from previous page (see pg 2 if to view dipstick pictures)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a recent picture of the back side of a clean dipstick, I allowed the drain tube to settle down for a few hours. Seems as if you're only able to get one good read before the filler tube gets full of oil and smears the stick.

This looks much better, it's about 1/4" above the upper dot. Will do one more test in the morning.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
litegide24*[OP]*

2011 Prerunner 2.7 Double Cab
oil level
I dont think it's the dipstick that makes these so difficult to see, think it's moreso the tube it sit's in. I left the stick out last night and checked it this morning. After inserting one time the front of the stick was smeared but the back was readable. On the 2nd check, forget it! oil smeared from the first time it was pulled out.*

This photo gives a pretty good close up of the the dipstick.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #47
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I can finally put the whole " how much for my 4cylinder oil change with filter " to rest .

I have both a 2010 4 cylinder regular cab and also a 2011 4 cylinder regular cab 4x4 .

The manual calls for 6.1 qts on a oil change with filter . I always put 6.0 qts with a new filter on my 2010 and the reading is high on the dipstick just as shown in pictures out there . When I do a oil change on my 2010 I get a new 5qt oil jug ( that I buy at Walmart ) filled up to the very top when the pan and filter are drained . It has been like that every time . I have 40k miles now on my 2010 .

I just did a oil change on my 2011 and the first thing I noticed is when I checked the dipstick it also smears way up the dipstick aswell . I drained the oil from the pan and the filter , I got exactly the same amount out of a brand new 2011 4 cylinder ( 5quart jug to the very top ) that I have been getting out of my 2010 .

So a oil change on a 2.7 liter 4 cylinder that the manual calls for 6.1 qts with filter TAKES 6.1 qts with filter . I just use 6 qts .
Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #48
Git-r-Done
muleyhunter is on a distinguished road

Name: Trevor
muleyhunter's Tacoma Gallery
I added too much oil in a chev truck once and it blew a massive oil leak that week.definitely hard on the engine and no good for it in any way
Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #49
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
Random question from a newb... on the 11' is the oil filter located in the top right of the engine compartment, upside down?? Just wondering cause that's how it is in my 12' and because of Newton, not much oil can hide in there.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #51
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota dealership should warrant their service. If the work was done by them and in recent days, bring it back and they should fix it for no charge. Even if they have to perform another oil change.

With that said, by the time you get to the dealership with that warm engine of yours. Ask a tech to show you how to read the dipstick and ask her to fix it if it is out of spec.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #52
jgrexx is on a distinguished road

jgrexx's Tacoma Gallery
i've gotten all my oil changes at the dealer...they always put 5.5qts in...it says so on the receipt.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #54
Tacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dominick
Tacos Por Vida's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Too much oil is bad, The crankshaft will splash into the oil whiping it into a frothy mix.
If it was me I would drain it into a clean drain pan and see how much was in there.
Measure out the correct amount called for in the manual and pour it in Note W/O filter amount not with filter change amount.
Do your own changes in the future if it is possible to avoid this dealer if they did in fact put too much in.
Good luck.
X2. Sorry if i read your post wrong or if this a a repost i kinda just skimmed through this entire thread, but your having problems reading the oil level cuz of a smeared dipstick? Are you wiping the oil off the dipstick after you get a reading ?? You should have to wait for the oil to set before checking the levels again. Just get a rag or some paper towels and clean the dipstick before putting it back in, the oil won't smear if you clean it off.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #56
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
5 is not enough

Just took my Tacoma in for it's third oil change. The Service department changed the oil. The experts noted 5 quarts of synthetic oil on the receipt (different from the first two oil changes...)

Anyway, I know the book called for 6 quarts so I checked the oil once I got it home and it was about 1/4" shy of the full dot on the dipstick.

As identified in previous pages of this post I let the oil drain from the dipstick to get an accurate measurement.

I went back to dealership today (different dealer) and picked up one quart of synthetic and gradually filled and repeatedly checked after dipstick tube drained.

It took exactly 1/2 quart to get it exactly at the upper mark (full dot) on the dipstick. I didn't take a picture but it's right where it should be now. What this tells me is that the truck took 5.5 quarts. I assume they did a quick drain/refill so there was probably some residual left in the engine before they added the 5 quarts.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #58
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Same here. 5qt jug plus 1/2qt from an individual bottle brings it right to the top mark.

Gelo is getting 6 quarts out because he's putting 6 quarts in.

But honestly, 1/2 qt overfill is not going to be enough to hurt anything on these engines.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #59
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Did you not read my last Few posts .LOL . I already summed this up .
All you summed up is that you are draining out what you put in.

If you put 7qts in, you'd get 7qts out.
There's a dozen other threads on the 2.7 and the standard opinion is that it takes 5.5 to properly fill with a filter change.

But 1/2qt either way is not going to hurt the engine. It's not like a dirtbike where 1/2qt is the difference between blowing oil out the breather or starving the top end.