Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

First Oil Change 2011 Tacoma - Engine Oil, how much is to much? See photo

Old 09-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
First Oil Change 2011 Tacoma - Engine Oil, how much is to much? See photo

I took my truck to the dealer about a week ago to get the oil changed for 1st time. It had just over 5,000 miles. The dealer seemed to think it was 10k, went back and fourth and told them the 2.7 was the exception.... whew

Anyway, after some guidance they finally understood this was written in the toyota care booklet as an exception ("the 2011 2.7's are to be scheduled every 5k miles and synthetic oil is to be used").

They did the oil change and I checked the oil a few days later and it seemed way full... hmmm.

I decided to check the truck again today after it was sitting awhile, was on cool on level surface. The two dots on dip stick were about 1.75" under where the actual oil line was?

See the photo, I have a screw driver pointing at the approxamite oil level. Kinda hard to tell with the new golden oil on that dipstick.

Is this bad for the vehicle?

Will probably get gas tomorrow, not sure if having to much oil hurts mpg or anything else. It may just be me but since oil chane it does seem to run at slightly lower rpm at highway speeds...

The dealer receipt says:

5,000 MILE SYNTHETIC VEHICLE SERVICE- COMP MAINT
05KSYN COMP MAINT 27CPTCM0.50

1 90975-YZZG1 FILTER S/A, OIL
5 00279-OWQTE -01 OW20-SINGLE QUART (W

TACOMA 4CYL OIL CHANGE AT 5K WITH TOYOTA SYNTHETIC 102R 4 CYL MAINT WITH OIL CHANGE AT 5K 27 ISP 0.00
Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
chill out dude, when i purchased my neww 11' i was told to bring it in at 5,000 miles. i was like WHAT!! but then i got something in the mail that wrote something about 10,000 miles. anyway, think of if as the dealership is the one who thinks they are right. you have warrenty right? i would just listen to them. but i did get my oil change at 5,000 mioes. i wouldnt worry too much man.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Too much oil is bad, The crankshaft will splash into the oil whiping it into a frothy mix.
If it was me I would drain it into a clean drain pan and see how much was in there.
Measure out the correct amount called for in the manual and pour it in Note W/O filter amount not with filter change amount.
Do your own changes in the future if it is possible to avoid this dealer if they did in fact put too much in.
Good luck.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superx2 View Post
chill out dude, when i purchased my neww 11' i was told to bring it in at 5,000 miles. i was like WHAT!! but then i got something in the mail that wrote something about 10,000 miles. anyway, think of if as the dealership is the one who thinks they are right. you have warrenty right? i would just listen to them. but i did get my oil change at 5,000 mioes. i wouldnt worry too much man.
If I would have "just listened to them", I would be driving it until 10k miles for the first oil change.

The actual point to the post is not when the service was due but more for the accurate oil level on the 2.7 (Not the 4.0).
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, too much oil is not good for the motor. I would take it back to the dealer and explain what happened...see what they say.

This is why I do all my own maintenance BTW.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
gt4som is on a distinguished road
Name: Nelson
gt4som's Tacoma Gallery
They definitely over filled it. I was at the dealer about a week ago to get my 5k service done. I also have a 2.7 DC. The service manager told me it was at 10k, I told him I couldn't believe it but ended up taking his word. That was on a Friday.

I get a call from the service manager on Monday, he told me there was an "update" and indeed my oil change should have been done on Friday. I was really pissed off. Made him change it when they were closed. I even received a survey from the dealer, they got all negative remarks and I even wrote them an essay on how incompetent their service department was.

I normally do all the maintenance on all my vehicles. 2 year Toyota care is included on the truck so I will take advantage of it.

I should really check my fill level now that I see your picture. I'm actually going to see it now. Will report back. If it's overfilled I'm going in early tomorrow to bitch them out some more.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
did you pull the dipstick out then wipe it off then measure the oil?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
gt4som is on a distinguished road
Name: Nelson
gt4som's Tacoma Gallery
Just checked. It looked OK... Thankfully. Can't wait till the 10k service /sarcasm...
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Did you flip over the stick and check the other side? On some vehicles it will look way over filled on one side and spot on on the other side. I work in the used car dept at a dealership and change oil on a lot of different cars and trucks and see that a a lot. Sometimes I see what you are seeing and am like WTF and then I check the other side of the dipstick and realize it's all ok. Worth a look anyway before you go back and complain.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
The manual calls for 6.1 qts. I just use 6 and change it my self every 5k with syn . The 2.7 dip stick is horrible to read I think mine reads way high to but I know what's in there .
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
did you pull the dipstick out then wipe it off then measure the oil?
Yes, pulled it out, turned it over, pushed it in, pulled it out, took some photos with droplight and reseated the dipstick everytime inbetween.

So... You guys that do it yourselves put in a new filter and then 6 quarts? Gt4som, when you went out to check it was between the dots? How about a photo
Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I just use 6qts . That's where mine reads also ( high ) . Don't worry you are fine .
Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
FOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud of
Name: Barry
FOUR X FOUR DUDE.'s Tacoma Gallery
I just changed mine myself (first change, 970 mi) Don't want to go 5 k till first change. 6 qts plus filter, perfect on the dipstick. However, I also lubed it and each gerk took 5 pulls on the gun handle, which irritated me. Seems it left the factory under lubed. I think you are overfilled, shouldn't be that high on the stick. Also, your pic of the work order, says 5 qts of something and then 1 qt of OW 20. What's up with that ?

My packett originally said conventional oil then was replaced with a syn packett. (2.7)
Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'll check mine again tomorrow but I remember when I checked before it was way high . What Toyota takes more then 6qts is what I'm thinking so you shouldn't be over filled . I remember readin a post about a year ago about the reading level and they thought that 6.1 qts was too much and showed so on the dipstick for a 2.7 and he just puts 5 qts . Lmao .
Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I use 5.5 qts when I fill.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I Checked mine. I'm 4k miles into my oil change so it's easier to read , it reads up to the second nub but smears 2 to 3 inches up in the stick . I'd say you are ok .
Old 09-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
3,000 miles at my first change... and under 5,000 for each one there after... usually close to 4,000 miles.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
holy shit that is way too much! they are only supposed to take 5 quarts
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #20
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^*lmfao . 6.1 with filter