Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

cold air intake

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Redfish will become famous soon enoughRedfish will become famous soon enough

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
cold air intake

My warranty is about to expire and I am looking at cold air intake and aftermarket air filters. I was told it would improve gas milage. Is this true?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
nope, no gain keep the factory intake and get a air filter (AFE Pro DryS) and remove the secondary filter, best gains you will get!

Edit: If you have a first gen (pre 05) then search "deckplate mod"
Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #3

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
thanks, I have a 2011 2.7. Is there anything else I can do?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Stock is cold air. An aftermarket intake will make lots of noise but that's about it. Also mods don't affect warranty unless they cause an OEM part to fail.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Supercharger.

http://www.urdusa.com/Forced-Inducti...7hfk7at2jvgu45
Old 09-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #6

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
can I get the pro dry filter from autozone or do I have to order online?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #7

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

I prefer twin turbos
Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not really. You could TRY the URD MAF calibrator. Most 4 banger people do not buy it, you would be one of the first. Helps a lot of the V6 guys obviously because they have more room to work with as far as power and tuning goes.

I would recommend trying out what I first suggested, removing the secondary filter and adding a Pro Dry S and go from there!

Also look into a header, LCE or Doug Thorley (purchase through urdusa.com). Personally I have the DT so I am biased. I freaking love the LOW end performance I got out of it, hardly ever drive in high RPM range. Some people swear by the LCE, just comes down to preference I think. Either way I would also recommend that in conjunction with the intake situation.

Everything should not run you too much:

AFE filter ~ $45-55
Link: http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...0A3320744.aspx

DT header ~ $407
Link: http://www.urdusa.com/Exhaust-&-Head...c64lf8lf68uuj7

LCE header ~ $400
Link: http://www.lceperformance.com/Doug-T...-p/1046080.htm
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have a K&N, love it, no problems at all. And Volant, im thinking about selling my K&N for the volant CAI
Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
I have a K&N, love it, no problems at all. And Volant, im thinking about selling my K&N for the volant CAI
You also have a V6
Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #11

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
what do you consider high RPM range? Did you notice an increase in MPG? I would think the header would pay for its self. How difficult was it to install?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
You also have a V6
yeahhhhhhh see i dont check the topics people post their threads in lol, i should probably start doing that
Old 09-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
I prefer twin turbos
Yeah so do I but I don't have 10K for a proper setup. Boost is the only way you will get some power. Other stuff will only give you a bit here and there. Search and good luck.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #14

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
Well I am not looking for power just better gas mileage.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
Banned
Buy a Prius. Full on mods might give you 1 or 2max after spending thousands of dollars. The best MPG you can do is the right foot mod.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
You will not see any mpg improvement with intake or exhaust.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

Conclusion, even the most clogged air filter will not reduce mpg. Pretty simple, the throttle plate is a greater restriction than the air filter so the air filter doesn't matter.

http://www.fuelsaving.info/power_economy.htm

Exhaust may increase power at high rpm, but won't improve low end efficiency where you want it for better mpg.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #17
Almost there

Quote:
what do you consider high RPM range? Did you notice an increase in MPG? I would think the header would pay for its self. How difficult was it to install?

Thanks
Anything above 3k is high for me. Header really helps with the low end. And to the other member, forgot to quote, who said header, intake, exhaust wont make much of a mileage difference..I will respectfully beg to differ.

I am pulling off 24-25 mpg with the way my truck is currently set-up. ~5" lift in front, 2" back, bumper/slider added wight, wheels/tires added weight, DT header, AFE secondary removed, 33.1" tires with 4.56 gears. I will have to say that I personally do not think I would be getting that mileage without those. Mind you the difference might be a scarce 1 mpg, but nonetheless.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Anything above 3k is high for me. Header really helps with the low end. And to the other member, forgot to quote, who said header, intake, exhaust wont make much of a mileage difference..I will respectfully beg to differ.

I am pulling off 24-25 mpg with the way my truck is currently set-up. ~5" lift in front, 2" back, bumper/slider added wight, wheels/tires added weight, DT header, AFE secondary removed, 33.1" tires with 4.56 gears. I will have to say that I personally do not think I would be getting that mileage without those. Mind you the difference might be a scarce 1 mpg, but nonetheless.
The gears made the biggest difference.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #19

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

Products Discussed in this Thread