LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2nd Gen Cruise control

Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Redfish will become famous soon enoughRedfish will become famous soon enough

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Cruise control

I think its garbage, anyone else agree? When I come to a overpass with a slight incline it will go from 2000 Rpm to 3000 + !! in a matter of seconds. There is no small increase in speed control, just a big jump. Once it almost hit 4000 rpm and I am worried something is going to break. Keep in mind this is in Florida. I get some weird looks because my exhaust makes a horrible noise with the sudden increase. This is my only complaint about the truck. I think its because the 4cyl has problems keeping speed on an incline while on cruise. I couldnt imagine what it would be like in the mountains, it probably wouldnt be worth using.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
One major issue is the 4 banger. The lack of power will cause the cruise to open the throttle more which causes an early downshift resulting in the high RPM. Why are you scared of 4000 RPM? My truck sees just under redline at least once a week.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #3

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
Your are right but I just think Toyota should have come up with a different cruise control for the 4cyl. When I drive the same roads without cruise control I can manage to keep the engine from "flooring" and stay around 2000-2200 rpms. I dont think its good to jump from 2000 rpm to the mid/high 3's within seconds. Its a 4cyl truck not a GTR (and the GTR's tranny is broke from launch control's abuse.)
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Well technically cruise control is not for use in on hills.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #5

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
All I am saying is its very startling when your driving down I-95 nice and easy and come to a overpass and BAM your engine is overvving and the exhaust sounds like some kids fast and furious honda civic.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Even my V6 does that some times. Normally it will start shifting and reving in certain spots. So I just drive it manually or just pay attention. Don't worry about it reving real fast you unless it is peggeg on the redline for a while.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
All I am saying is its very startling when your driving down I-95 nice and easy and come to a overpass and BAM your engine is overvving and the exhaust sounds like some kids fast and furious honda civic.
Yup. That's a 4 banger for you.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I think that's the nature of automatics and cruise control on hills, there are lots of threads complaining about this. Toyota does this poorly.

Another reason I'm glad I got the manual.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Cruise will try to maintain the set speed within +/- 2mph. Your "problem" is the result of your speed vs road conditions vs engine power in the current gear= not enough power to maintain.
Solution=get used to it, or sell the cruise control to me
Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
I like it with the manual tranny.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I think its garbage, anyone else agree? When I come to a overpass with a slight incline it will go from 2000 Rpm to 3000 + !! in a matter of seconds. There is no small increase in speed control, just a big jump. Once it almost hit 4000 rpm and I am worried something is going to break. Keep in mind this is in Florida. I get some weird looks because my exhaust makes a horrible noise with the sudden increase. This is my only complaint about the truck. I think its because the 4cyl has problems keeping speed on an incline while on cruise. I couldnt imagine what it would be like in the mountains, it probably wouldnt be worth using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I think that's the nature of automatics and cruise control on hills, there are lots of threads complaining about this. Toyota does this poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
I like it with the manual tranny.
You must have an automatic. With the manual it works great if you know how to use it
Old 09-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
gt4som is on a distinguished road
Name: Nelson
gt4som's Tacoma Gallery
This is my only complaint with my 2011 DC 2.7. I also live in Florida and this only happens on the overpasses. My way of dealing with this on the highway is if I set it to 75 and as I'm approaching a hill/overpass, I'll slightly increase the speed to prevent the tranny from down shifting. Kind of defeats the purpose of cruise control but oh well, not too many hills in florida lol.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post

Yes, glad to have manual because of this too but it isn't just a toyota thing. My mazda with sportauto does the same rev thing if using the accelerate button or on hills if in auto mode. Thankfully, I have manual mode with the + - shifting so if I use the cc I use manual mode on the tranny to avoid the revving thing. Doubting toyota will go sportsuto with this capability on the trucks tho.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #14
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Hahahahha. i think its fucking hilarious when my cruze control goes kamikaze!!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
X4 on the MT/cruise control combo. I love my CC.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
Landscape Photographer
harleyg has a spectacular aura aboutharleyg has a spectacular aura aboutharleyg has a spectacular aura about

Name: Harley
harleyg's Tacoma Gallery
That is my only complaint about the 2.7 I bought. Now I kick off the cruise approaching almost any hill, put it back on at the top. It is a pain, but I have gotten used to doing it.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #17
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 and the 5 spd manual, no shifts. No need to downshift on most hills on the freeway here in Oregon. I think the CC on that setup is great, if ther is a flaw , it might be that it SHOULD drop out of CC on the hill and force me to downshift just to be in the appropriate gear (4th) for some hills.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #18
sabre19 is on a distinguished road
sabre19's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it does suck. I'm guessing you have an auto tranny? My last vehicle was a 4-banger as well, but a stick, and it was only an issue when coming to a hill steep enough to bog the engine down. The cruse control in my Taco is full-on herp derp, and practically redlines the engine every time I come to a hill. Takes all the fun out of driving on the highway. Like you, when I manage the throttle manually, I can keep the tranny from dropping two gears all at once and redlining the engine fairly easily.

Yeah, technically cruise is for flat terrain, but unless you live in the midwest, there's always gonna be the occasional hill. That stipulation is there probably to take responsibility away from those whose job it is to program algorithms for proper (read: smooth) cruise control throttle handling. Just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #19

Redfish's Tacoma Gallery
ya 4spd auto. It only does it at certain speeds. If Im going 70-80mph no problem but 65 oor below it sucks. My last truck was a ford and never had this problem.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #20
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyg View Post
That is my only complaint about the 2.7 I bought. Now I kick off the cruise approaching almost any hill, put it back on at the top. It is a pain, but I have gotten used to doing it.
I do the same