Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4-cyl doing its job!!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
4-cyl doing its job!!

earlier today while doing my private landscaping at a 8 acre estate in alpine, nj i was carrying a full load of wood chips in an electric golf cart which has a tricky relay somewhere in the circuitry. backed up to where the load needed to be dumped and the accelerator did nothing and the cart ended up backing over the stump catching the axle with one rear wheel off the ground. stuck as i was, i drove the taco down, put it in 4 wheel drive and pulled the probably 1200 lb cart off the stump WHILE PULLING IT UP HILL. needless to say, all doubts i had about the power of the 4 cyl r gone

Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Love seeing 4 bangers doing work!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Faketannydeluxe
WhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Curt
WhiteTacoma09's Tacoma Gallery
Go 4 banger!!! I just wonder what my 2x4 can do?? .hmmmmm
Old 09-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTacoma09 View Post
You'd be suprised. My PreRunner has been places that is usually 4x4 only or that other 4by's have gotten stuck, it isn't 4x4 but it's the next best thing.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i tried in 4x2 but the wheels were slipping but the grass was really wet so in dry grass 4x2 prob would have worked fine. prob could have played with the gas to get it going in 4x2 but millionaires dont appreciate skid marks too much.. who woulda thought?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayNnite4 View Post
i tried in 4x2 but the wheels were slipping but the grass was really wet so in dry grass 4x2 prob would have worked fine. prob could have played with the gas to get it going in 4x2 but millionaires dont appreciate skid marks too much.. who woulda thought?
I know what you mean I was clearing some fallen trees from a storm we had a few months ago for my aunt and uncle, had a stroke can't do it himself, and the locker helped but there were a few parts where it was dug up. I had to pull a few trees out that were 50+ feet long, and then I pulled the stumps. Granted I'm v6 but it still relates. I dug some grass up from their backyard fields, 30+ acres, and repatched to dug up parts. Good as new now.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
you would be amazed what they can do, most weight i have hauled in my bed was 820lbs of water softener salt bags for the water softener at the house, it sagged a bit but the 4 cylinder handled it nicely and did not seem to hanle any different driving home
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I think our trucks are properly powered and geared.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
you would be amazed what they can do, most weight i have hauled in my bed was 820lbs of water softener salt bags for the water softener at the house, it sagged a bit but the 4 cylinder handled it nicely and did not seem to hanle any different driving home
1700+ lbs. in my 5 lug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdpowell View Post
I wish my lug had 3.58 gears like the auto for a bit more grunt...but overall I agree with you.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2x4

4x2

Just sayin
Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdpowell View Post
x2. some 4 cyl trucks, such as rangers, dont feel quite as powerful. i am glad i got it in manual tho.. i think that'll help manage the power
Old 09-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I take my automatic '09 4x2 down South Florida dirt roads and trails so long as they are sand and not a lot of mud. I upgraded the tires to 235-70-15s and they float across the top a lot better than the stock 215s did. I've had occasions when the surface is slippery (muddy grass) and the traction control kicks in and things slow down but it generally just keeps on going. When the back end has bogged down I have been able to engage the electronic LSD and drive out of the hole. I actually prefer an automatic to a manual in this situation because it is easier to squeeze on the power with the automatic than trying to manipulate the throttle and the clutch.

I do carry a 12 volt portable winch, cable and long stakes so I can pull myself out of the hole but haven't had to use it yet. I also have been known to stop the truck, get out, and walk ahead to see what I am getting into before driving into it.

Truck has also hauled 890 pounds to the dump.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2. some 4 cyl trucks, such as rangers, dont feel quite as powerful. i am glad i got it in manual tho.. i think that'll help manage the power
I am a fan of the manual tran too.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
Science!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
I actually prefer an automatic to a manual in this situation because it is easier to squeeze on the power with the automatic than trying to manipulate the throttle and the clutch.
You actually get much more control by feathering the clutch and/or starting in 2nd gear.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
arsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
arsolo's Tacoma Gallery

Just got back from camping and had to tow two quads and most of the camping gear. The four cylinder had more then enough power to get over the pass while towing, just had to keep it in third.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL...I went to the 2.7 from a V6 Extended Cab Ranger and I think I actually have more power in the Tacoma; granted, I had the 3.0 (or 3.Slow in some circles).
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #17
Science!

4x4 only helps with traction. Switching to 4x4 doesn't give you more power...unless you keep it in 4L and crawl up the hill.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #18
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
You actually get much more control by feathering the clutch and/or starting in 2nd gear.
I have had both and understand your comment. I've started in second while feathering the clutch while manipulating the parking brake as a poor man's limited slip while my buddy pushed and ate mud.

When I did mudding and hard core offroading I had manual transmissions, manual locking front hubs and limited slip or locking rear ends. As an old fart just driving the back roads I find it much easier now with an automatic and have been amazed at where my little 4 cylinder 4x2 will go.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
LOL...I went to the 2.7 from a V6 Extended Cab Ranger and I think I actually have more power in the Tacoma; granted, I had the 3.0 (or 3.Slow in some circles).
i had the 4.0 v6 ranger b4 the 4 cyl tacoma and id say the power is comparable
Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #20
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i had the 4.0 v6 ranger b4 the 4 cyl tacoma and id say the power is comparable
Really? That's kind of sad...I'm guessing it was a 4x4 (heavier)? I had a 2WD Edge.