1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding Cruise Control...?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Midnight Drifter, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Oct 4, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    Midnight Drifter

Midnight Drifter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Monroe Twp, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2TR W/T
    Flowmaster dual exhaust
    Alright, so one of the biggies that I have a hard time with dealing with during my daily commute (ESPECIALLY since it's easy to get 'sucked into' the speed of traffic when everybody's driving 15+ MPH faster than you) is my lack of cruise control. I was wondering, is it as easy to add on the Tacoma as it is the Yaris?

On the Yaris it's frickin' stupid simple. Disconnect the battery for 15+ mins, pull the airbag, install a factory cruise control stalk to the connectors that are already there, do the same thing with the clutch safety switch (Yaris was a manual), put it all together and and BAM! Cruise control. Indicator light and all is already in place, you're paying $275 for $30 worth the parts by having it as a 'factory option'. :p

Since the 2TR-FE is throttle by wire, I'm guessing it's just as simple... but is it?

2. Oct 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    ahajnos

ahajnos New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Pittsboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 2WD Regular Cab
    in-dash receiver, subwoofer, amplifier, door speakers, bed rack
  3. Oct 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Clutch switch is the only PITA on these trucks (getting to it, that is). Do it!

4. Oct 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    Midnight Drifter

Midnight Drifter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Monroe Twp, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2TR W/T
    Flowmaster dual exhaust
    No need to worry about a clutch switch since I'm A304E equipped. ^_^

5. Oct 6, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    friction

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    lol...does that mean you have an automatic? If so, the additon of cruise control should literally take you only 30 minutes!

6. Oct 6, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    its easy, someone actually did it at uwharrie last weekend

7. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    it is quite simple, ive done it with my 5 speed and like others said the clutch switch is the only PITA. with an automatic it'll be a breeze for you.

8. Oct 28, 2011 at 3:05 AM
    YodasYota

YodasYota I'm here for the chicks.

Member:
    First Name:
    Yoda
    Orange County CA/the Dagobah system
    Vehicle:
    White 2005 2.7L
    aFe pro dry s drop in, secondary air filter delete, "Black Box" mod, debadged, tinted windows, 300mm Broadway rear view mirror, LED brake lights, side markers, rear turn signals, plate lights, and interior lights. Flowmaster cat back exhaust, a cracked tail light that I fixed with some tape, all black grille, 15” Raceline 401B wheels, Goodyear 235/75/15 All Terrain Tires
    Holy crap is it really that easy? I am going to go to Toyota n order these parts. Wow I'm stoked!

9. Oct 28, 2011 at 3:28 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Clutch switch is only PITA if you try to do it without removing the lower dash panel. Lower dash panel removal takes a minute at most.

10. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    eewoz

eewoz Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4
    I just added it to my 2011. On some of the later models you have to run three more wires. For a truck with auto tranny you need one from the instrument panel to the ECU, one from the steering column to the ECU, and one from the steering column to ground. Doing that invloves removing some of the dash panels.

11. Nov 5, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    Wyowill

Wyowill Active Member

Member:
    I added cruise to my '05 5speed. Took longer running back to check pictures on confuser than actual install.

12. Nov 5, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Do you have a link for the parts needed? I am thinking of doing this as a winter mod this year. I have a 5spd manual 2.7L engine.

13. Nov 5, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    Wyowill

Wyowill Active Member

Member:
  14. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    jonml

jonml Well-Known Member

Member:
    debadged ,grillcraft grill,blacked out headlights secondary filter removed,k&n filter,made a ram air tube to the airbox using 3 inch diameter flexible tubing ,sony reciever added ,rockford frosgate shallow mount sub added ,infinity component speakers added and powered by external amp,added cheap exhaust tip,added oem foglights,added helwig swaybar,shortened my antenna,dumped exhaust behind rear axel.
    cruise control is easy just order the parts and the install takes like 5 min

15. Nov 6, 2011 at 5:29 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
  16. Mar 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    Anyone here have to add wire to steering wheel to ECU ?

I have 2009 regular cab 4x4 5 speed manual. Very basic. crank windows even. I'd like to add the cruise but I'm concerned about the truck not being pre-wired for it. I know I need the clutch switch but power and signal to and from the ECU may be a deal breaker for me. I still need to locate the clutch switch connector but if I can go through all at once and verify it's ready I'd prefer that.

What do I look for ? Pics ?

17. Mar 9, 2012 at 3:23 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Clutch switch connector is white and taped to another harness right up there where it would plug onto the switch. You'll find it. Just take the one minute to remove the lower dash panel and it'll be a breeze to swap out the clutch pedal bump stop bolt for the switch. I had base model 05 with all manual stuff and now an 08 SR5 that is also all manual stuff and both had all the wiring and was the same simple stuff to do. It's just the steering wheel cover with hole, stalk, a wire with 2 leads instead of one inside the steering wheel by stalk & the clutch switch. Plug it all in and enjoy........

18. Mar 9, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    friction

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    You should be good to go...check the link for a parts list and pics.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2nd-generation-2005/171992-diy-oem-cruise-control.html

19. Mar 9, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    Swanson52

Swanson52 Well-Known Member

Member:
  20. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    Yeah I may just go ahead and get the stuff and try it out. Reading the Toyota Nation forum it all looks simple enough. A few guys with 2009 base models said the wiring to the ECU is not there an they had to run three more wires. That might be a challenge for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top