Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Need advice on leaf springs and extra strong shocks

Old 10-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Toyota2000 is on a distinguished road
Toyota2000's Tacoma Gallery
Need advice on leaf springs and extra strong shocks

I recently purchased a 2000 Toyota Tacoma Stepside. I t has a cab over the bed, under and over ladder rack and pull out drawer instead of the bed (I'm a handyman) Anyway, because of all this extra weight and the age of the vehicle , the shocks seem to be worn and an extra spring assist has been added (previous owner) to the rear, but I still have negative inflection in the leaf spring - thus much bounce and concern.

I think I need new leaf springs, but I'm not having luck finding any for this truck exactly and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was ok stronger springs - not the OEM strength but stronger.

Also, I'm a tall guy and would like to get a little lift and have come across some lift kits here and there, and would like to add maybe 2 inches - but it's 2WD - anyone know whether this truck can handle this? I saw elsewhere in these forums someone mentions 5100s ...

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html
... would those work?

I went to a local (Raleigh NC) 4X4 shop on Glenwood ave and they gave me a quote of 1400 for: springs, shocks - front and rear and labor. Does this seem a good price?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
You said it is 2wd. Do you have a pre-runner or a 5-lug?

and $1400 doesn't sound too bad. Still a bit pricey. Doing the work yourself would save you a good amount of money. If you have the tools/time suspension work is easy.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Thanks for the quick reply -

It's not a pre-runner, it must be a 5 lug...looks like this:
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/rev...coma_step.html

I do actually have the time, tools and decent amount of experience! (mostly worked on lightweight stuff - brakes, alts, starters, dist. caps, plugs, radiators, ball joints, once a strut)

I wondered about whether or not I could do this fairly easily myself if I order leaf springs and the lift kit?

If it's not too difficult, any ideas where to get these parts? Any recommendations?

I'm ok with online ordering, but I need to be real sure that they will work on my truck. But if I can get them locally (NAPA, Autozone, etc.) then I will...but I do expect their cheaper online.

What about getting used springs from another truck from a junk yard? Remember, I want to increase the load strength (because I have so much existing weight with the ladder rack, drawer, and camper shell!) I actually have negative curve with that set-up alone!!!

The previous owner added a leaf for extra support (altho the 4X4 shop said that model had a recall and toyota could've installed this), but it's not enough.

ANyway, I guess, I'm looking for recommendations for getting affordable, quality leaf springs, maybe a lift kit and medium duty shocks (altho sometimes the lift kits have them already.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
not sure what happened but I posted a reply...that has disappeared into the digital void....

Yeh, I have the time, tools and some knowledge.

I guess, I really looking for advice on where to get these parts online: leaf springs (heavier duty) shocks and lift kit (some lift kits come with shocks)

And/Or, what model could I pull these springs from and they'd still fit? (Thats the nice and cheap - er - affordable route)

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
if you have a prerunner (six lug) check out www.wheelersoffroad.com They have leaf packs, shocks, front coils, etc...

Downsouth motorsports also has shocks and front coils, but i dont know about leafs for the rear.

If your leafs are sagging they will need to be replaced. Same with your front coils. Replacing just shocks wont help the sag.

Bilstein 5100 shocks are a good choice.

If you have a 5 lug (non-prerunner) then I dont know as that is a totally different suspensions system.

But there are a lot of people on here w/ lifted 5 lugs that could help.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you have a 5 lugger.

Most lifts are for 6 luggers. You could try the 5 lug thread. Looks like some good possibilities there.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
if your leafs are tired, there are no really big choices other than rearching your oem leafs or using an add a leaf or rear shackle to lift the rear 2 inches. you want bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear. the front you should get a spindle lift but it will kick out your front tires a little. keep in mind with a 3 inch lift your tires will look small, so bigger tires would be needed but then your MPG and power goes down.

spindles $350
AAL $40
Shocks $250
Old 10-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
if you have a prerunner (six lug) check out www.wheelersoffroad.com They have leaf packs, shocks, front coils, etc...

Downsouth motorsports also has shocks and front coils, but i dont know about leafs for the rear.

If your leafs are sagging they will need to be replaced. Same with your front coils. Replacing just shocks wont help the sag.

Bilstein 5100 shocks are a good choice.

If you have a 5 lug (non-prerunner) then I dont know as that is a totally different suspensions system.

But there are a lot of people on here w/ lifted 5 lugs that could help.
x2. The suspension on these truck is notorious for being weak and wearing out, and with your size and the kind of work/loads you deal with, you should definitely look into new (not used) springs. Don't bother with OEM replacements. Expensive, and same crap.

I am not sure of 2WD-specific options, but the Pre-runner crowd can help you. Anything that says six-lug only won't work on your truck.

Alcan makes custom leaf springs for your specific truck and they way you use it, and they are reasonably priced as far as all other options available. Check them out online.

The guys at Downsouth Motorsports and Wheeler's Offrad are stellar. Give them a call and discuss you needs.

I lifted my 4x4, and it is technically easy, just physically a bit of work. You can do it. Check out the suspension forum and the how to's to start gettgin your head around this.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ful-links.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...n-install.html
Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Look for a spring shop in your area.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Dexter, take it to a spring shop and have made exactly what you need at a price much cheaper than using Toyota parts. They may be able to re-arch your current springs, then maybe add one more leaf. A spring shop is the place to go.