1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help-noise

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by diRtytRuk, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Oct 8, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    diRtytRuk

diRtytRuk [OP] New Member

Member:
    Whats up forum, I need some help from the people that know their sht and have some experience with the guts under the hood.

2 weeks ago I bought a 2011, 4cylinder, 4x4, Automatic, regular cab Tacoma. A couple days ago I noticed a noise.
    I start the engine - put it in drive and once it starts moving you can hear a noise that last about a second or 2 (pretty sure its comin from under the hood). It sounds like a noise a cat would make if ya step on its tail. Its quick, sounds like a unwinding noise. It only seems to happen after the cars in park, then I put it to drive and go. So basically every time I start the engine put it in drive, once i start moving it will happen. Everything about the truck seems fine and it its not interfering with the trucks power, its just the noise seems abnormal.
    Also it doesnt happen when I come to a stoplight and then go. Only after PARK to DRIVE then GO.

Its been raining everyday so I thought maybe it was cuz of the rain and a belt was wet or something but its been dry for the past couple days and it still happens so I guess that idea is debunked.

Anyway, The dealership I bought the truck is like 200 miles away, so before I panic and bring it back, I just wanna see if anybody knows anything before I take a trip back to the dealer. ...any ideas?

2. Oct 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I had a similar question, but not coming from under the hood. The answers I got were the anti lock brake self check. Does it sound kinda like a hydraulic sound? A quick "zill" if you will.

3. Oct 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    I know what your saying, my truck does it too. Just from park to drive it makes this quick weird noise. Majority of the guys on here get the 4 cylinder Tacoma with the 5 speed, so it may be hard to get an answer for the question. But mine dies it too and its still running strong at 90k.

4. Oct 8, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    St. Swervus

St. Swervus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Mill Creek, WA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Leer Camper. Thule Rack, NFab side rails w/step, 3' lift, Weather Tech mats, Paracord grab handles, LED interior lights, Bed Rug, Front windows tinted to match factory rears.
    Mine does that too. Been wondering what it was.

5. Oct 9, 2011 at 2:00 AM
    diRtytRuk

Member:
    Did it do it for as long as you can remember?

If ya remember try it out in a lower gear and see if it happens. D,3,2,1. After park go right to 3 for take off n see what happens, see if you hear it.

Im gettn the feeling its probably normal if youve been rolln like that for a while but either way Ill probably end up calln the dealer or askn a local mechanic if its anything I should worry about.
    -thX4daResponSe-

6. Oct 9, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    Yeah, my trucks always done it.I think it is normal. It's got to be a self check of some kind or something adjusting itself to get ready to go. It makes like someone above said, a quick 'zill' type noise that goes by in a second or two. I wonder if it only happens on the automatics? It could be a transmission type thing. I'm not sure, I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but if its going to make you feel better I would bring it to a shop that really knows Toyotas if anything.

7. Oct 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    Midway

Midway Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    11 Regular Cab 4x4
    Leer 100R Canopy, BF-goodrich MT-KM2's 265/75/16, Black 16" MB 72's, Bilstein 5100's set at 2.5" front. Bilstein 5100's in rear. 1.25" Tuff Country blocks, BedRug, LCE Header, , Magnaflow muffler, K&N 63 series intake, TC UCA's and Toytech Diff drop. Vehicle security by GLOCK.
    Yep, Mine is a 2011 Reg-Cab 4x4 with automatic transmission, and does the same thing.

8. Oct 9, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    It's the pressure vessel charging up for the ABS brake system. It's normal.

9. Oct 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    diRtytRuk

Member:
    I talked to a mechanic over the phone and he told me it was nothin outta the ordinary. - its the "ground wire".

bottomline/its fine, but to the people that know their sht- Hows the ground wire explanation sound?

10. Oct 12, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    I agree it's probably the ABS, but just for shits... did you buy it used? If so maybe it has a throttle body spacer?

11. Oct 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    It's not the "ground wire", it is as previously stated by another member, the ABS performing a "self check". I get this queston quit often by new customers who think something is wrong, the system it activating all of the solenoids to verify proper operation so it knows nothing is wrong. Absolutely nothing to be concerned with.

Products Discussed in

To Top