Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

help-noise

Old 10-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
diRtytRuk is on a distinguished road
diRtytRuk's Tacoma Gallery
help-noise

Whats up forum, I need some help from the people that know their sht and have some experience with the guts under the hood.

2 weeks ago I bought a 2011, 4cylinder, 4x4, Automatic, regular cab Tacoma. A couple days ago I noticed a noise.
I start the engine - put it in drive and once it starts moving you can hear a noise that last about a second or 2 (pretty sure its comin from under the hood). It sounds like a noise a cat would make if ya step on its tail. Its quick, sounds like a unwinding noise. It only seems to happen after the cars in park, then I put it to drive and go. So basically every time I start the engine put it in drive, once i start moving it will happen. Everything about the truck seems fine and it its not interfering with the trucks power, its just the noise seems abnormal.
Also it doesnt happen when I come to a stoplight and then go. Only after PARK to DRIVE then GO.

Its been raining everyday so I thought maybe it was cuz of the rain and a belt was wet or something but its been dry for the past couple days and it still happens so I guess that idea is debunked.

Anyway, The dealership I bought the truck is like 200 miles away, so before I panic and bring it back, I just wanna see if anybody knows anything before I take a trip back to the dealer. ...any ideas?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar question, but not coming from under the hood. The answers I got were the anti lock brake self check. Does it sound kinda like a hydraulic sound? A quick "zill" if you will.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Chriskn1690 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Chriskn1690's Tacoma Gallery
I know what your saying, my truck does it too. Just from park to drive it makes this quick weird noise. Majority of the guys on here get the 4 cylinder Tacoma with the 5 speed, so it may be hard to get an answer for the question. But mine dies it too and its still running strong at 90k.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
St. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shedSt. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shedSt. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shedSt. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shedSt. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shedSt. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shedSt. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shedSt. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shedSt. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shedSt. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shedSt. Swervus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
St. Swervus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I had a similar question, but not coming from under the hood. The answers I got were the anti lock brake self check. Does it sound kinda like a hydraulic sound? A quick "zill" if you will.
Mine does that too. Been wondering what it was.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskn1690 View Post
I know what your saying, my truck does it too. Just from park to drive it makes this quick weird noise. Majority of the guys on here get the 4 cylinder Tacoma with the 5 speed, so it may be hard to get an answer for the question. But mine dies it too and its still running strong at 90k.
Did it do it for as long as you can remember?

If ya remember try it out in a lower gear and see if it happens. D,3,2,1. After park go right to 3 for take off n see what happens, see if you hear it.

Im gettn the feeling its probably normal if youve been rolln like that for a while but either way Ill probably end up calln the dealer or askn a local mechanic if its anything I should worry about.
-thX4daResponSe-
Old 10-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
Chriskn1690 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Chriskn1690's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by diRtytRuk View Post
Did it do it for as long as you can remember?

If ya remember try it out in a lower gear and see if it happens. D,3,2,1. After park go right to 3 for take off n see what happens, see if you hear it.

Im gettn the feeling its probably normal if youve been rolln like that for a while but either way Ill probably end up calln the dealer or askn a local mechanic if its anything I should worry about.
-thX4daResponSe-
Yeah, my trucks always done it.I think it is normal. It's got to be a self check of some kind or something adjusting itself to get ready to go. It makes like someone above said, a quick 'zill' type noise that goes by in a second or two. I wonder if it only happens on the automatics? It could be a transmission type thing. I'm not sure, I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but if its going to make you feel better I would bring it to a shop that really knows Toyotas if anything.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Midway is a jewel in the roughMidway is a jewel in the roughMidway is a jewel in the roughMidway is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
Midway's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, Mine is a 2011 Reg-Cab 4x4 with automatic transmission, and does the same thing.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
I talked to a mechanic over the phone and he told me it was nothin outta the ordinary. - its the "ground wire".

bottomline/its fine, but to the people that know their sht- Hows the ground wire explanation sound?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The sound is the ABS. It is normal operation. /end thread.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
I agree it's probably the ABS, but just for shits... did you buy it used? If so maybe it has a throttle body spacer?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
It's not the "ground wire", it is as previously stated by another member, the ABS performing a "self check". I get this queston quit often by new customers who think something is wrong, the system it activating all of the solenoids to verify proper operation so it knows nothing is wrong. Absolutely nothing to be concerned with.