Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Gearing Suggestions? 2.7 and an Automatic

Old 10-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Gearing Suggestions? 2.7 and an Automatic

SOOOOO.

I own a one of a kind Tacoma. It's a 1995 PreRunner. The ONLY 1995 PreRunner. It was a 4x4 chassis that a we put the components from a totalled 1999 DLX into. End result is a 6 lug 2wheel drive with a 2.7 and an Automatic.

I love the truck. It means a lot to me, my dad and I worked on it together and got it rolling. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

The problem?
A 4 banger coupled to an automatic transmission turning a Toyota 8" with a 4.10 ring and pinion running 30" tires isnt very fun. I'm thinking it's time for a regear.

I have some old rear ends from parts trucks we've used for projects on my Dad's 04 DC 4x4. Im thinking about taking one and rebuilding it with a TrueTrac and new gears. Also I have a set of 31x10.5x15's that I'd like to use. I figure I can gear for the bigger tires and maybe get a little more pep out of the engine since we all know that 3rz aint no iForce.

My question is what size... I'm stuck on 4.56 or 4.88... It's my DD, so it see's a lot of highway use. Which is why I'm hesitent on the 4.88's, but I'm afraid I won't see a difference between my 4.10's and the 4.56's.

Thought's?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
this will help you figure out your highway rpms.

I would recommend the 4.88, because what you lose in highway efficiency, you gain in around town pep. The 2.7 trucks came with ~30 tires (at least mine did) and I have no problems with power, so if you are complaining about power output, 4.88 will help you feel faster.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
this will help you figure out your highway rpms.

I would recommend the 4.88, because what you lose in highway efficiency, you gain in around town pep. The 2.7 trucks came with ~30 tires (at least mine did) and I have no problems with power, so if you are complaining about power output, 4.88 will help you feel faster.
Thanks! and I'm also thinking that with the locker, the 4.88 would make it easier to break the inside tire free on the pavement in a turn as apposed to maybe having that stress put somehwere else on the driveline... Is that accurate?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
with 31 inch tires you will hate life with 4.88s.

pm Underdog and ask him about it, he had it, took them out soon after, went 4.56 and he loves it
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by infaMOUSE View Post
Thanks! and I'm also thinking that with the locker, the 4.88 would make it easier to break the inside tire free on the pavement in a turn as apposed to maybe having that stress put somehwere else on the driveline... Is that accurate?
A locker will act like an open diff if you aren't under power. So if you coast around the corners, you won't stress anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
with 31 inch tires you will hate life with 4.88s.

pm Underdog and ask him about it, he had it, took them out soon after, went 4.56 and he loves it
So it was geared to high for him?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
yes way too high. he said doing like 75-80 it was almost red lining in 5th gear.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Team 4Runner

Thanks guys.

And I know that the lockers only engage when under power, but a good portion of my commute is the upramp to get on the interstate to cross the Mississippi River. And I'd hate to fight a clunking rear end all the way up.