LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Regretting the 4 banger..Tundra Questions

Old 10-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
xwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
xwillx93's Tacoma Gallery
Regretting the 4 banger..Tundra Questions

Right now i'm riding in a 2009 2.7l 4 banger...reg cab manual. I love the truck to death, done tons of mods to it (and kept all stock parts in case i wanted to trade it in). The manual is fun, but can get inconvenient, the regular cab is nice since i dont have to tow any friends around..and the 4 cylinder is efficient. My problem; i need to be able to fit more people, tow heavier, we have a 28' Edgewater boat, and having an automatic would be easier and more convenient. Has anybody switched from a 4 banger to a Tundra? or even a v6 to a tundra? How's the gas mileage? I'm beginning my search now, but just wanted some input first. thanks guys
Old 10-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwillx93 View Post
Right now i'm riding in a 2009 2.7l 4 banger...reg cab manual. I love the truck to death, done tons of mods to it (and kept all stock parts in case i wanted to trade it in). The manual is fun, but can get inconvenient, the regular cab is nice since i dont have to tow any friends around..and the 4 cylinder is efficient. My problem; i need to be able to fit more people, tow heavier, we have a 28' Edgewater boat, and having an automatic would be easier and more convenient. Has anybody switched from a 4 banger to a Tundra? or even a v6 to a tundra? How's the gas mileage? I'm beginning my search now, but just wanted some input first. thanks guys
i have a reg cab like you (same year too) and my dad has a sport DC. i think a tacoma would do you good. check out the towing thread and youll be surprised about what people tow with the 4.0 v6
Old 10-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Gas milage would be horrible . Get the big v8 if you go tundra . Should be tons out there . Gotta pay to play .
The dodges get great gas mileage they run on 4cyl when they arent being pushed hard and then they fire on all 8 when you are heavy on the accelerator this would be best for you IMO
Old 10-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma View Post
The dodges get great gas mileage they run on 4cyl when they arent being pushed hard and then they fire on all 8 when you are heavy on the accelerator this would be best for you IMO

Yeah . It sounds like he needs 4 doors and plenty of power and I wouldn't skimp on any of it . Go 4 door and big motor so you don't have to trade up again . 15 mpg would most likely be your best gas milage .
Old 10-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
andrew862 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
andrew862's Tacoma Gallery
I went the other way from a 5.7l Tundra double cab to my V6 double cab Tacoma. The Tundra netted me 18-19mpg average and my taco gets me 19-20. A lot depends on driving style and terrain but the Tundra was not much worse then the taco and it had a lot more power. It will be a big drop from a 4cyl. The Tundra was a great truck though. I do miss the sound of the big v8 but my taco does all I ask of it.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
I switched from the 5.7ltr trd off road tundra to my 4x4 2.7ltr tacoma and would never go back. I did a lot of suspension mods and power mods to my tundra. it had balls like you wouldnt beleive but also got about 11mpg loaded or unloaded. Great truck for hauling and working with although for off road capabilities and a daily driver you cant beat the tacoma. plus finding a parking spot for the tundra was a bitch
Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
SR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSR54x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SR54x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

maybe a stupid question but are you currently towing that boat with the taco? must be way over the 3500lb capacity if you are...
Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how much the boat weighs I bet you could tow it with a V6 Taco and the mileage would be loads better than the Tundra.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
He said "member"...
crainholio will become famous soon enough
Army: Tanker
crainholio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Has anybody switched from a 4 banger to a Tundra? or even a v6 to a tundra? How's the gas mileage?
I went the opposite direction, traded my '03 Tundra 4.7L for an '03 Tacoma 2.7L. Both trucks are/were extended cab 4wd auto-transmission models.

Fuel mileage on the Tundra was in the 15-17MPG range, 80% hilly interstate driving. Tacoma is getting 18-20MPG on the same commute. I drive ~82 miles each day, so the difference is significant enough to make my gas card happy.

The Tundra was smoother and quieter at cruising speeds. Very capable in the snow. The Tacoma feels the bumps more and has more road noise in the cabin. Waiting for Winter to get here to see how it does in the snow, it has an open rear diff whereas the Tundra had a factory LSD.

edit: both trucks were pretty much stock. Denso iridium spark plugs on both, that's about all the modding on either.

Hope this helps...they're both great trucks so it's a win either way.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
I think the Chevy Siverado Hybrid gets the best mileage of any full size V8
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/sil...tyle=101357493
Old 10-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
He said "member"...
crainholio will become famous soon enough
Army: Tanker
crainholio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
I think the Chevy Siverado Hybrid gets the best mileage of any full size V8
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/sil...tyle=101397729
And the hybrid model starts at $39K. Not cheap.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
If mileage is a big concern, you could run a diesel truck on free vegetable oil. I used to commute 150 miles per day on free vegetable oil. Then I got my 4.0 Taco and I still feel like a sucker every time I buy gas.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
compmoto is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
compmoto's Tacoma Gallery
my 2.7 Taco RWD auto trans

my junk dies when I put more than 400lbs in the bed. I can't even fathom what it would do if I actually tried to TOW with it ! It is a great driver/errand CAR w better MPG than the Dakota 5.2L it replaced...
Old 10-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by compmoto View Post
my junk dies when I put more than 400lbs in the bed. I can't even fathom what it would do if I actually tried to TOW with it ! It is a great driver/errand CAR w better MPG than the Dakota 5.2L it replaced...
Weird . I carry nearly 400 lbs at all times and mine runs fine . Though I'm not going up and down 6,000 foot elevations .
Old 10-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #16
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by compmoto View Post
Mine doesn't bog down at all , of course I got the manual transmission!!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
I towed a 5x8 uhaul which was packed full of crap, plus some stuff in the cab and bed from Gainesville to Philly no problem. Got about 300mi/tank when I usually get 440mi but that was to be expected.

Hills werent a problem and I poked right along at 65-70 the whole way.

i was really surprised at what that 2.7l is capable of.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I love Toyota, but if you need to go full size, you should be looking domestic. Dodge, chev or Ford. Right now, Im liking the new F150 with the 5L motor. Seems like it would fit my needs, and sounds like yours too. I get a sick discount for working at the shipyard I work at too, so Im looking into it next year for another truck