Notices

Anyone tried this to save gas

Old 10-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Mytoyo2
mytoyo2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Frank
mytoyo2's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone tried this to save gas

Just wanted to know if anyone else here with a manual tranny has ever tried drifting or coasting in neutral to save gas ? I would also like to know what harm wuold it do to my toy if any. My previous 2 trucks 96F150 And 91 toy I did it every chance i could with no problems saved alot of gas . Just looking for feed back thanks alot
Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
you will be fine, it will save gas. but down shifting saves more gas because it shuts off the injectors
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Coasting in neutral is illegal in most if not all states. As Eric said the fuel injectors shut off or reduce pulsing when you coast.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
its illegal to coast in neutral?? why?

im driving illegally every day then..
Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
V C Section 21710 Coasting Prohibited

Coasting Prohibited

21710. The driver of a motor vehicle when traveling on down grade upon any highway shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21710.htm

I'm guessing it can hinder emergency maneuvers.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
I always slap it in neutral when I approach a red light; perhaps that stems from early years of motorcycle riding??
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
tacoriffic has a spectacular aura abouttacoriffic has a spectacular aura about

Name: Greg
tacoriffic's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, I'd be riding dirty all the time. If I plan it right, and nothing gets in the way, I can coast from the end of my road to my house and into my parking spot. Total about a quarter mile.

I love coasting, it's like a game against the man with these gas prices.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
10 years of driving illegally for me then! It's second nature for me to approach a red light or down a long hill in neutral. Circumstantial obviously, difficult to explain for me but I'm always 5 blocks ahead of myself when driving - not something I due all willy nilly, only when "safe" and appropriate.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
Mytoyo2

mytoyo2's Tacoma Gallery
i agree ive done it for years just wanted to make shure im not alone here . Dumb ? though pushing n the clutch is basicaly neutral and you must do this in order to stop rite so i guess we all break the law every time we stop
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
You guys really need to learn to read properly.

Quote:
The driver of a motor vehicle when traveling on down grade upon any highway shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Banned
I think the law applies to coasting in neutral for an extended period of time. But regardless of the law the injectors shut down or reduce pulse amount when coasting in gear so coasting in neutral will actually burn more gas.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Whoever is responsible for this law obviously drives an automatic, law makers are idiots.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
If you have ever had an air/fuel guage in a vehicle, you'd realize that coasting in neutral does not save more gas than coasting in a high gear.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
Whoever is responsible for this law obviously drives an automatic, law makers are idiots.
You should be in charge of the vehicle codes. I'm voting for you!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Engineman
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Its says on a DOWNGRADE and is very specific about that matter. You can still coast when approaching a red light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
V C Section 21710 Coasting Prohibited

Coasting Prohibited

21710. The driver of a motor vehicle when traveling on down grade upon any highway shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21710.htm

I'm guessing it can hinder emergency maneuvers.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
If you have ever had an air/fuel guage in a vehicle, you'd realize that coasting in neutral does not save more gas than coasting in a high gear.
Debatable. Coasting in gear may use less fuel, but will slow you down.

Scenario: two cars coasting down a hill ending in a long flat stretch...the N car would go farther before it had to get back on the gas to maintain a minimum given speed because the gears aren't slowing it down, however it may use marginally more fuel.

TomAYto, TomAHto if you ask me, but I'm sticking with neutral
Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #17
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
My very unscientific opinion is it at least saves wear on the clutch over time.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
Mytoyo2

mytoyo2's Tacoma Gallery
how could that be if my rmps are lower coasting in neutral ? Whats this gauge your talking about where do i get 1 is it hard to install and whats a good price for it?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytoyo2 View Post
how could that be if my rmps are lower coasting in neutral ? Whats this gauge your talking about where do i get 1 is it hard to install and whats a good price for it?
I guess you missed it in all the other posts. Modern vehicles are programmed to shut off the fuel injectors when coasting.

Don't buy an A/F gauge.

Posted via
Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I guess you missed it in all the other posts. Modern vehicles are programmed to shut off the fuel injectors when coasting.
I know I've seen this mentioned other places, but just doesn't make sense to me. If this is true, then how come you can still hear a vehicles engine that has a loud exhaust rumble down as the RPMs decrease. Injector shut off = no fuel = no detonation = no sound. At least from my perspective... maybe there's something happening I don't know about.