22RE vs 2TRFE 4 Banger reliability stats;

View Poll Results: Will the 2TR-FE Outlast the 22RE
Yes 37 31.36%
NO 27 22.88%
it's too early to tell 54 45.76%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
22RE vs 2TRFE 4 Banger reliability stats;

Everyone knows that the 22RE 4 banger has a longstanding reputation for being the most reliable engine Toyota ever made. Will the 2TR-FE 4 banger earn The same respect ? I recently saw a 2nd gen 4 banger with 240,000 miles and still running strong, share your views/experiences on the new 4 banger vs the old!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
simple = better IMO.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
its a toyota.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Way too early to tell.

The 22RE has been on the road for over 20 years longer than the 2TR.

I imagine, given the way manufacturers are changing things, that the 22RE will live on to be the most dependable engine that Toyota has ever built.

I loved it in my '85 4Runner.

Fink
Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
You can take it even further back to 22r carb version and 20r which are all basically the same engine with different head & bore. 20R's started showing up in 1977 or so in celicas, coronas and trucks. Too early to tell for 2trfe but not seeing it as possible for it to top the 20R or 22R/RT/RE. I flailed upon basically a bastardized junkyard 22R with no fresh internals or mercy for over 25 yrs and it was still going strong with r-12 AC when I got rid of it for the 05 back in 09.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
You can take it even further back to 22r carb version and 20r which are all basically the same engine with different head & bore. 20R's started showing up in 1977 or so in celicas, coronas and trucks. Too early to tell for 2trfe but not seeing it as possible for it to top the 20R or 22R/RT/RE. I flailed upon basically a bastardized junkyard 22R with no fresh internals or mercy for over 25 yrs and it was still going strong with r-12 AC when I got rid of it for the 05 back in 09.
Very good point.

If you are going to compare the two, you should really look at the series of engine (R vs. TR). The R-series was introduced in 1953 and the TR-series was introduced in 2004.

Fink
Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FMC 25th BSB
Name: Brian
YotaMan2007's Tacoma Gallery
I loved working on the 22RE back in college. Its with the easiest 4 banger that i have ever laid hands on. the engine will last as long as the owner of ther vehicle takes good care of it. my second car was a volvo 940 and it had 280k miles on it before a bimbo totaled it...
Old 10-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I can only hope.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
Banned
monster38 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
monster38's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
Very good point.

If you are going to compare the two, you should really look at the series of engine (R vs. TR). The R-series was introduced in 1953 and the TR-series was introduced in 2004.

Fink
I'm sure there's a lot more in common between a 22R-E and a 2TR-FE than between an R and a 22R-E.....
Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Too early to tell but I hope so. Got great life out of a 20R, 22R, Still have my 22RE & 2TR-FE
Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster38 View Post
I'm sure there's a lot more in common between a 22R-E and a 2TR-FE than between an R and a 22R-E.....
I wouldn't be so sure of that, but I don't personally know.

Regardless, one engine has been on the road for 20+ years and the other one for only ~7 years.

Fink
Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Had a 22r. It has plastic guides for the timing chain that were famous for breaking. Mine did. It also blew a couple of head gaskets. Only the first one was legit. The rest were from crappy machine work on the head after the first failure. So, realistically it blew the headgasket at 150K miles and by then the chain guides were shot. After the headwork, it started loosing compression and burning oil over the next 30K miles. Might have been crappy headwork, might have been the rings, don't know.

We have several four banger Tacomas at work. The 2rz powered one is approaching 150K, the last 2rz was 185K and counting when we sold it. The one before that burned a valve at 125K and the boss got rid of it. The oldest 2trfe has 110K on it. So far so good.

I believe the 2rz, 3rz, and the 2trfe are all superior to the 22rs and 22res. I don't hear about crappy timing guides and blown headgaskets with them. The 22rs had both problems. The 2trfe does have more moving parts, but nobody has to add oil to any of the ones in our fleet. They go 5K miles and the stick shows full. My 22r always burned at least a quart in 2K miles. Technology has improved and Toyota has improved their 4 cylinder engines over the last twenty years or so. The four bangers have always been their most reliable engine.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Had a 22r. It has plastic guides for the timing chain that were famous for breaking. Mine did. It also blew a couple of head gaskets. Only the first one was legit. The rest were from crappy machine work on the head after the first failure. So, realistically it blew the headgasket at 150K miles and by then the chain guides were shot. After the headwork, it started loosing compression and burning oil over the next 30K miles. Might have been crappy headwork, might have been the rings, don't know.

We have several four banger Tacomas at work. The 2rz powered one is approaching 150K, the last 2rz was 185K and counting when we sold it. The one before that burned a valve at 125K and the boss got rid of it. The oldest 2trfe has 110K on it. So far so good.

I believe the 2rz, 3rz, and the 2trfe are all superior to the 22rs and 22res. I don't hear about crappy timing guides and blown headgaskets with them. The 22rs had both problems. The 2trfe does have more moving parts, but nobody has to add oil to any of the ones in our fleet. They go 5K miles and the stick shows full. My 22r always burned at least a quart in 2K miles. Technology has improved and Toyota has improved their 4 cylinder engines over the last twenty years or so. The four bangers have always been their most reliable engine.
How old were the trucks that the 22R's were in?

Fink
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
How old were the trucks that the 22R's were in?

Fink
Mine was a 1986 that I drove from 1995 till 2003. During that same time period, a company that I worked for did have a few with 300K plus on them that were used as courier trucks. I have no idea what had been done to keep them going. All our trucks at work now are 04 and later.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I think the 2TR-FE is going to be a legend in time. I've seen some fleet 2nd gen tacoma's over 200 K miles with no issues already. The HP/gas mileage is much better too. I had an old 22RE Toyota pickup and the 2TR-FE is very impressive.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine was a 1986 that I drove from 1995 till 2003. During that same time period, a company that I worked for did have a few with 300K plus on them that were used as courier trucks. I have no idea what had been done to keep them going. All our trucks at work now are 04 and later.
That's something to consider when comparing the vehicles you listed then.

A 22RE in a 1986 versus a 2TR in a 2004+. That was my only argument for it being too early to tell.

Fink
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster38 View Post
A 22RE is just an EFI'ed 22R.

I can only hope the 2TR-FE doesn't have the Achilles heal that the 22RE did.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

im going to have to agree.

I almost wish I had a single cab 3rz instead of my truck just due to the simplicity. I have not heard of any problems with the 3rz and its been out long enough to prove it's self.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #19
Banned
monster38 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
monster38's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
A 22RE is just an EFI'ed 22R.
Yes, but when I refer to an "R", I am referring to *THE* "R" (think of it as the "1R"), not the "R series". The "R" was the first engine in the "R series", built from 1953 through 1964. The 22R was built from 1981 though 1995.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #20
So, what is the difference between the 3rz and the 2tr? Variable valve timing?