LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

What can be wrong!

Old 10-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
What can be wrong!

Well i filled up my tank the other day and combination city and highway driving if my tank is 21 gallons im getting between 290 and 300 miles to the tank.

Simple math = 14 mpg. WTF! on a 4 cylinder! I mean i put 17 inch wheels on instead of the 16 inch stealies and slightly larger AT tires but really? I might as well drive a full size v8. Any ideas on what to check before I trade this thing in. Can't have this with $3.80 gallon and especially a 4 banger.

Its always been around this area. Even with the stock tires. Fyi i have noticed for some time what sounds like a slight exhaust leak when driving next to a wall along the road but I cant see anything when im under there.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Something is way off, I've been getting a consistent 25+ Mpg. AndrewFalk gets around 26-27 Mpg. Do you need a tune-up? I would go back to stock tires/rims if gas mileage is important and consider getting a base 2.7L Tacoma. You are carrying around extra weight and drag due to having the same suspension and height as the 4x4's.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Wait. Are you actually figuring based on a trip reading or are you assuming the "E" line is the full 21 gallons? Even when the gas light comes on we have around 4 (or more) gallons left...
Old 10-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
Well i filled up my tank the other day and combination city and highway driving if my tank is 21 gallons im getting between 290 and 300 miles to the tank.

Simple math = 14 mpg. WTF! on a 4 cylinder! I mean i put 17 inch wheels on instead of the 16 inch stealies and slightly larger AT tires but really? I might as well drive a full size v8. Any ideas on what to check before I trade this thing in. Can't have this with $3.80 gallon and especially a 4 banger.

Its always been around this area. Even with the stock tires. Fyi i have noticed for some time what sounds like a slight exhaust leak when driving next to a wall along the road but I cant see anything when im under there.

you cant divide the size of the tank by the miles... you have to divide the miles by how many gallons you put in...

21 gallons is the entire tank. usually i only put in 17 gallons when the light comes on and get 350 miles which is about 20mpg average

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
Something is way off, I've been getting a consistent 25+ Mpg. AndrewFalk gets around 26-27 Mpg. Do you need a tune-up? I would go back to stock tires/rims if gas mileage is important and consider getting a base 2.7L Tacoma. You are carrying around extra weight and drag due to having the same suspension and height as the 4x4's.
there is not much difference in the mileage of a base and a prerunner. the 4.10 gearing in a prerunner compensates for the tire size and height.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ill give it another shot. But I know its pretty darn low. Id except 20mpg.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
Ive got 72k miles. Bought with 53k. Maybe ill try a tuneup. Already replaced the plugs and the air filter and just changed the oil last week. Ill take it in let them run it and see.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
mech160 is on a distinguished road
mech160's Tacoma Gallery
Top off tank and "zero" the trip meter. Next time you fill, top off tank again and note both mileage on trip meter along with amount of gallons it took to top off. (I usually fill until gas pump handle automatically shuts off, and then slowly squeeze handle again until it shuts off again) Divide trip mileage by gallons added; you don't have to wait until you are close to empty or even half. 125 miles divided by 5 gallons = 25 mpg
Old 10-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
you cant divide the size of the tank by the miles... you have to divide the miles by how many gallons you put in...

21 gallons is the entire tank. usually i only put in 17 gallons when the light comes on and get 350 miles which is about 20mpg average
Winner.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Yup . You have to divide the miles by what you fill up with . But I'm assuming you are filling up when the light comes on and that usually means about 16.5gals to fill and 290-300 moles at that point is not good . You should be around 360 miles .
but you know what they say about assuming. when you assume it makes an
ASS of U and ME

for all we know he fills up when he hits 1/4 tank.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup . You have to divide the miles by what you fill up with . But I'm assuming you are filling up when the light comes on and that usually means about 16.5gals to fill and 290-300 moles at that point is not good . You should be around 360 miles .
300 * (6.02 x 10^23)
Old 10-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #14

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But anyways... Fuelly and gas mileage is for women . If you wanted good gas mileage you should have looked at the Prius . Not a prerunner pickup truck .
thats pretty ignorant to say...

if you are getting 10mpg are you gonna say eh fuck it its a truck or would you be concerned?

its a good idea to keep track of mpgs to make sure your truck is running right. its also not women like to want the best mileage we can get...

Edit: if you dont care about mpgs you shoulda bought a 1 ton dodge with a hemi
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #16
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
What can be wrong?
Operator error
Old 10-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
Quote:
If the if ever happened I'd know there is a problem . Cracks me up that people post things on gas milage but they bought a truck and moded it out for the worse and ask why .
Jesus your right my truck is so severely modified I should have though twice about posting. I guess running 275 vs 265 is intense.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
What can be wrong?
Operator error
lead foot? Ill accept that answer.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously, are you calculating it correctly? Look at a few of the first posts...reset the trip when you top off the tank, and divide the trip by the number of gallons you refill with.