1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

type of tune for turbo tacoma

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by mac1, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Oct 25, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    mac1

mac1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma 2rz
    intake
    i have a 1999 tacoma and i want to tubro it but dont know what kind of tune or chip i will need. also some say the 2rz can handle 15lbs of boost what do i need to support 15lbs?

2. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab Tacoma 4x4
    Dude, far too open ended. Custom tune using a stand alone engine management system. I doubt I can handle 15 pounds of boost, more like 6-7. 15 lbs of boost would require a full engine rebuild with forged internals minimum. A drop in compression would serve you well. Are you buying a kit or piecing one together yourself?

3. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    mac1

mac1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma 2rz
    intake
    pieceing one together what would be a good standalone all i heard of is megasquirt pnp

4. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    AEM is the best in the tuning world. I don't know about megasquirt in power applications. I know that it does well in stock applications but in a completely custom setup, I think you'd be better getting an AEM and having a professional tune it. Customer kits take a lot of time and effort to get right and tuning them is really not for a first timer.

5. Oct 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    Speed Freek would probably know, shoot him a pm

6. Oct 29, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    mac1

mac1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma 2rz
    intake
    oo what kind of aem ecu. i cant seem to fined any..

thank for the help doc.ss

7. Oct 29, 2011 at 11:47 PM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    Psi means nothing without getting into specifics.

8. Oct 30, 2011 at 12:04 AM
    mr2r6

mr2r6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDOR 4X4
    This is the wrong forum to find the info you want. You need to go contact a shop that builds custom turbo cars.

9. Oct 30, 2011 at 12:15 AM
    mac1

mac1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma 2rz
    intake
    where is that shp located

10. Oct 30, 2011 at 12:17 AM
    mr2r6

mr2r6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDOR 4X4
    Couldnt tell you. Im on the east coast. There just are not that many turbo Tacomas around and theres A LOT to building a turbo motor.

11. Oct 30, 2011 at 12:26 AM
    Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    There isn't one specific shop. You can try lcengineering.com. I'm not usually one to squash dreams but you need to do a lot of reading and research before you start to build a setup like you are talking about. I'm not talking about asking questions on forums but reading books and professional sources about parts, designs, and basic info. Ahem is a standalone engine management system which means that it replaces the stock harness for anything and everything engine/trains related. They make a piggyback version but if you are building a custom kit, you might as well get the best engine management unit.

This is just scratching the surface. You need to figure out what kind of turbo will work best for you. Researching and considering compressor maps, what kind of boost you want, what kind of power curve you want. Are you going for a ridiculous peak horsepower that isn't really usable or are you looking for a low peak power with a useable power curve? Decent boost that gives a consistent curve will be significantly nicer to drive, not to mention nicer on all your components...

There are a lot of questions you need to figure out before you can design the right kit for you. There is a reason that most kits aren't custom built. It's expensive and the time you spend will be incredible. There also might be a reason there isn't a kit readily available. It could be because there is not a lot of interest, or because the engine can't handle the power, I couldn't tell you which...

This is not to discourage you completely, or me saying that you can't build this kit, but there is a ton of planning and testing that goes into a good turbo kit.

12. Apr 1, 2018 at 4:13 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    What’s a TUBRO?
    I know this is a old thread but interested if anything came of it.

13. Apr 3, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    I've used a Megaquirt on my turbo 3rz. Once you get the set up all good, tuning is fairly easy. I'd say that for the cost, it's the best stand alone you can use. There are other with more features that you will pay more for such as Haltech. It would be helpful, though, to have a better idea of what your goals are.

Some other guys on here that can help you out as well:
    @arcenik @Torspd @MadTaco461 @MrCrowntown

robssol likes this.
  14. Apr 3, 2018 at 10:12 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    TU-Bro bro.

1) You-bro (Spanish translation)

2) Too-Bro (expanded English common tongue)

Ex.: I need a beer. You TuBro?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    robssol[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 3, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    LOL. I just saw this is a thread from '11

robssol and MadTaco461 like this.
  16. Apr 3, 2018 at 11:13 AM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    99 turbo 5 lug long travel
    Kinda stock
    I'm tu bro. Usually monster and flat billed hats are good to 15 psi.

robssol and Torspd like this.
  17. Apr 3, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Metal militia also falls in that category.

MadTaco461[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 3, 2018 at 8:35 PM
    MrCrowntown

MrCrowntown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alyn
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    06 Extended cab Prerunner 2.7
    Dirt King Mid travel with King 2.5 coilovers, Baja Kits chase SUA with 14in fox smoothies under custom hangars.
    robssol[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Apr 4, 2018 at 4:02 AM
    robssol

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. Apr 4, 2018 at 4:03 AM
    robssol

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    MrCrowntown[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top