Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

type of tune for turbo tacoma

Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
mac1 is on a distinguished road
mac1's Tacoma Gallery
type of tune for turbo tacoma

i have a 1999 tacoma and i want to tubro it but dont know what kind of tune or chip i will need. also some say the 2rz can handle 15lbs of boost what do i need to support 15lbs?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1 View Post
i have a 1999 tacoma and i want to tubro it but dont know what kind of tune or chip i will need. also some say the 2rz can handle 15lbs of boost what do i need to support 15lbs?
Dude, far too open ended. Custom tune using a stand alone engine management system. I doubt I can handle 15 pounds of boost, more like 6-7. 15 lbs of boost would require a full engine rebuild with forged internals minimum. A drop in compression would serve you well. Are you buying a kit or piecing one together yourself?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
mac1's Tacoma Gallery
pieceing one together what would be a good standalone all i heard of is megasquirt pnp
Old 10-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
AEM is the best in the tuning world. I don't know about megasquirt in power applications. I know that it does well in stock applications but in a completely custom setup, I think you'd be better getting an AEM and having a professional tune it. Customer kits take a lot of time and effort to get right and tuning them is really not for a first timer.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Speed Freek would probably know, shoot him a pm
Old 10-30-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
mac1's Tacoma Gallery
oo what kind of aem ecu. i cant seem to fined any..

thank for the help doc.ss
Old 10-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
Dude, far too open ended. Custom tune using a stand alone engine management system. I doubt I can handle 15 pounds of boost, more like 6-7. 15 lbs of boost would require a full engine rebuild with forged internals minimum. A drop in compression would serve you well. Are you buying a kit or piecing one together yourself?
Psi means nothing without getting into specifics.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
mr2r6 will become famous soon enoughmr2r6 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kiel
mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
This is the wrong forum to find the info you want. You need to go contact a shop that builds custom turbo cars.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
mac1's Tacoma Gallery
where is that shp located
Old 10-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #10
mr2r6 will become famous soon enoughmr2r6 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kiel
mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
Couldnt tell you. Im on the east coast. There just are not that many turbo Tacomas around and theres A LOT to building a turbo motor.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1 View Post
where is that shp located
There isn't one specific shop. You can try lcengineering.com. I'm not usually one to squash dreams but you need to do a lot of reading and research before you start to build a setup like you are talking about. I'm not talking about asking questions on forums but reading books and professional sources about parts, designs, and basic info. Ahem is a standalone engine management system which means that it replaces the stock harness for anything and everything engine/trains related. They make a piggyback version but if you are building a custom kit, you might as well get the best engine management unit.

This is just scratching the surface. You need to figure out what kind of turbo will work best for you. Researching and considering compressor maps, what kind of boost you want, what kind of power curve you want. Are you going for a ridiculous peak horsepower that isn't really usable or are you looking for a low peak power with a useable power curve? Decent boost that gives a consistent curve will be significantly nicer to drive, not to mention nicer on all your components...

There are a lot of questions you need to figure out before you can design the right kit for you. There is a reason that most kits aren't custom built. It's expensive and the time you spend will be incredible. There also might be a reason there isn't a kit readily available. It could be because there is not a lot of interest, or because the engine can't handle the power, I couldn't tell you which...

This is not to discourage you completely, or me saying that you can't build this kit, but there is a ton of planning and testing that goes into a good turbo kit.