Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

1999 Toyota Tacoma timing chain?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
1999 Toyota Tacoma timing chain?

Just to clear things up, my 2.7 takes a timing Chain correct? Or does it take a timing belt?

Edit: I've read in three posts that it does infact take a chain. I'm back to step one I suppose.

I had to get it towed to a mechanic today after it started sputtering and idling extremely rough. Also smelled a very strong sulfur smell from the exhaust like un-burnt fuel.

I've checked sensors and everything is connected, hopefully the mechanic can figure it out.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Turp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud ofTurp has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Operations: Fire, Technical Rescue, EMS
Turp's Tacoma Gallery
Timing chain. usually lasts quite a few miles; 200K+ from reading posts. A search in the 4cyl section will provide more details.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, thank you for confirming that Turp.

Looks like a very complicated job if it does break, I'm keeping my fingers crossed mine didn't go at 260,000 miles.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
it didn't trust me you would know if it broke...might have loosened and splipped a tooth though