1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$140 Labor to Weld in my Muffler??

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by snoozeworm, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nov 6, 2011 at 2:38 AM
    snoozeworm

snoozeworm [OP] taco king

Member:
    wheeling,wv
    Vehicle:
    2004 regular cab 4x4 5 speed
    Extra leaf springs in rear Pioneer head unit fj cruiser wheels 1in coil spacers siren
    I called an exhaust shop and told them i already have a muffler (flowmaster super 40) and that i want my stock one cut out and this one welded in. They said it would cost between 35 and 50 bucks, so i said ok and drove it over the next day. They have it in the shop for 30 minutes and come back saying its gona take alot more work than expected and want to charge me 140 dollars, i told them to forget about it and drove away. Are they ripping me off, or are tacoma's really that hard to weld a muffler to??

2. Nov 6, 2011 at 2:46 AM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    It cost me $60 to weld in my magnaflow which also include an extra piece of piping because my magnaflow was center in/out. just sayin..

3. Nov 6, 2011 at 2:50 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Got anything weird going on?

Ought to be around 50 +-

4. Nov 6, 2011 at 2:56 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    I charge 50.00/hr (min being an hour) when a local speed shop wants me to weld for them.

5. Nov 6, 2011 at 3:04 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    going rate is about $50 to $70 an hour... looks like they are estimating 2 hours of work.

Will it take two hours to cut out a muffler and weld in another one...No it shouldn't unless you have something funky with your exhaust.

6. Nov 6, 2011 at 3:59 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Sounds a bit steep like the others have said- Did they give you a reason for the increase?? What was the "alot more work" they needed to do??

7. Nov 6, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    snoozeworm

Member:
    wheeling,wv
    Vehicle:
    Extra leaf springs in rear Pioneer head unit fj cruiser wheels 1in coil spacers siren
    they said there was a sensor right before the muffler (which i knew) and that they couldn't cut the muffler after the sensor (for an unexplained reason) so they wanted to cut before the sensor and the they would have to weld a ?"bung"? to a new pipe, install the sensor, then weld that new pipe to my muffler, then weld all that up in there. I said just cut the pipe after the sensor, weld in my new muffler and call it a day. the guy said " i am the professional and i am telling you that won't work". I think they were trying to rip me off.

On a side note, i heard tacomx's sound clip and his 40 series sounds awsome! Plus i got a free used flowmaster 40 series from a buddy who said my leaking oem muffler was annoying.

8. Nov 6, 2011 at 5:30 AM
    snoozeworm

Member:
    wheeling,wv
    Vehicle:
    I'll go ahead and say the shop is named "Mr. Muffler" and is run by "Wheeling Spring". They already tried to charge me 240 dollars to remove my add a leaf that was on the truck when i bought it, so i drove 5 miles down the road and had it done for 69 dollars including tax and new U bolts. I think this shop is out to get people, so if you are in the wheeling,wv area...stay away!

9. Nov 6, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    If thats the case and you already had a bad experience with that shop then why would you go back for a muffler job

Wulf likes this.
  10. Nov 6, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    ao6902

ao6902 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arya
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    01 Std cab taco 2.4
    Underdrive crankshaft pulley, k and n filter, dynomax muffler, spectre intake, doug thorley headers
    yea too high, takes no time at all to weld in new muffler, especially on a lift.

Products Discussed in

To Top