Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Anyone install an overhead compass/temp console in 2nd gen 4 cyl

Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Tunngavik has a spectacular aura aboutTunngavik has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jason
Tunngavik's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone install an overhead compass/temp console in 2nd gen 4 cyl

Looking to see if anyone successfully installed an OEM overhead temp / compass module (like the TRD's have) in a 2nd gen 4cyl.

I did install one but the compass will not calibrate nor does the temperature update (though the outdoor temperature displayed when the truck is first turned on is correct, it just won't update as conditions change).
Old 11-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
BornHi is on a distinguished road

Name: TJ
BornHi's Tacoma Gallery
BUMP! Would like to try this mod.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
me too! subbed
Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i can’t remember exactly. but i think the guy at the dealer that sold us my truck did it in his 5 luger. i know he did fogs. and i know that he know about this site and has look at stuff on here. lol
Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #5

Oh, just to nip in the bud any questions about how I did it (keep in mind I didn’t get it to work to my liking).

I purchased a brand new overhead console display for 2005 to 2008 model trucks. I have a 2010 SR5 4x4 I4 and know that the console is not plug and play, even though I have the plug in the ceiling of the truck, for the following reasons: 1) none of the consoles are plug and play to work for the 4cylinders, and 2) for the 6 cylinders they are plug and play to work if you get the right year console (i.e. Toyota changed the electronics for the consoles in 2009-2011 so 2009-2011 console will not work in a 2005-2008 6 cylinder truck nor will a 2005-2008 console work in 2009-2010 6 cylinder truck).

Following what I could piece together on this thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...s-install.html) I installed my temp/compass console into the overhead unit, plugged it in for power, ran 2 wires through from the console (pins 5 and 6) through the firewall to the front of the truck, and connected the wires to new temperature sensor (I don’t have the part number but it’s the temperature sensor for the 2005-2008 Tacoma) I purchased and that was it. After the temperature works initially but does not update unless the truck is shut of for a period of time, and the compass does not calibrate even though I know I am doing the calibration correctly
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 08 reg cab prerunner sr5 and I have a base sunglasses/map lights/garage door opener overhead console that have yet to meet. I don't think I have wiring for the map lights or the bracket under the headliner. Delay has set in as mod list priorities are evershifting. Supposing I need to start at junk yard and getting or cutting it off another truck. Been wanting to see more from the other thread about it that just faded away. Haven't checked that out lately.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
disk_55FL is on a distinguished road

Name: disk
disk_55FL's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #8

This thread initially looked promising with a lot of action but died off pretty quick WTF
Old 11-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #9

Not sure if this helps....but I E-Mailed service@toyotapartszone.com ..... :

Hello :

I'm trying to find a temp / compass similar to this :

Toyota Part: METER ASSY, ACCESSOR

Part NO.: 83290-04011

But your web site says it won't fit my Tacoma.....

Fit Vehicles:

Tacoma
2008.11- 6cyl 4.0L <-------------

I have a 2010 4 Cylinder VIN XxXxXxXxXxXxx

Do you have the part that fits the 4 Cylinder ?

Thanks

And they responded :

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

Our website will does not recognize replaced by numbers. According to the parts department this will work for your vehicle.

Thank you for taking an interest in our parts. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions you may have.

Janette
Customer Service
Toyotapartszone.com

I didn't follow up on this ....but I'd truly like to have this device.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #10

Do you understand what they were saying in the reply?

What does "Our website will does not recognize replaced by numbers" mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disk_55FL View Post
Not sure if this helps....but I E-Mailed service@toyotapartszone.com ..... :

Hello :

I'm trying to find a temp / compass similar to this :

Toyota Part: METER ASSY, ACCESSOR

Part NO.: 83290-04011

But your web site says it won't fit my Tacoma.....

Fit Vehicles:

Tacoma
2008.11- 6cyl 4.0L <-------------

I have a 2010 4 Cylinder VIN XxXxXxXxXxXxx

Do you have the part that fits the 4 Cylinder ?

Thanks

And they responded :

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

Our website will does not recognize replaced by numbers. According to the parts department this will work for your vehicle.

Thank you for taking an interest in our parts. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions you may have.

Janette
Customer Service
Toyotapartszone.com

I didn't follow up on this ....but I'd truly like to have this device.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I bought one from another TW member and it works just fine. Bought it with the temp sensor that goes behind the grill. The wiring for it was already in place in my truck.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
Hayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shedHayes is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brandon
Hayes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I bought one from another TW member and it works just fine. Bought it with the temp sensor that goes behind the grill. The wiring for it was already in place in my truck.
Got pictures?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
Landscape Photographer
harleyg has a spectacular aura aboutharleyg has a spectacular aura aboutharleyg has a spectacular aura about

Name: Harley
harleyg's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to order the part for my 2011. They initially said it was the complete assembly for about $300. Once it arrived, they realized that was only the temp/compass display and I need another part (the plastic around it). Total would have been about $900.

Yesterday, I ordered a Teltek temp gauge and will go with that. $55 is far more reasonable. May not look quite as nice, but life is full of compromises.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #14
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
Got pictures?
nope

which part?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyg View Post
I tried to order the part for my 2011. They initially said it was the complete assembly for about $300. Once it arrived, they realized that was only the temp/compass display and I need another part (the plastic around it). Total would have been about $900.
I did the same thing - bought the assembly on ebay for about $125 and then found the plastic bit around it for about $50 on ebay.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #16

" Do you understand what they were saying in the reply? "

Not really ....I assumed it was a typo.....

@ afd23a So you used the 4.0 L gage ( 83290-04011 ) and all is good ?

And does anyone know if his 5 lug and our SR5 4 X 4 are similar in these particulars ?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #17

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by disk_55FL View Post
" Do you understand what they were saying in the reply? "

Not really ....I assumed it was a typo.....

@ afd23a So you used the 4.0 L gage ( 83290-04011 ) and all is good ?

And does anyone know if his 5 lug and our SR5 4 X 4 are similar in these particulars ?
I don't know exactly which type of truck it came from. I don't think the guy really said. You need to see if you have the factory wiring in place to connect the temp sensor on the support between the radiator and the front grill. I can't remember if there is anything special about the harness in the headliner. I thought there were some pictures on here somewhere....
Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #18
crashnrondo is on a distinguished road
Name: Ron
crashnrondo's Tacoma Gallery
Yesterday, I ordered a Teltek temp gauge and will go with that. $55 is far more reasonable. May not look quite as nice, but life is full of compromises.[/QUOTE]

How do plan on mounting it?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 11-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
Landscape Photographer
harleyg has a spectacular aura aboutharleyg has a spectacular aura aboutharleyg has a spectacular aura about

Name: Harley
harleyg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnrondo View Post
Yesterday, I ordered a Teltek temp gauge and will go with that. $55 is far more reasonable. May not look quite as nice, but life is full of compromises.

How do plan on mounting it?

Thanks,
Ron[/QUOTE]

Velco it on the dash, like an Ultragauge or Scangauge. I bought the one that is backlit and runs on a battery, so I won't have to wire it. The battery should last 10-12 months per Bob at Teltek. It is the Informer 1 Glow.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #20
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
05-08 is different everything for the console then 09+. You need a 09+ or it wont work. Its been on numerous threads. Good luck! They are on here every once and a while and Im dying for one too but they are rare right now