Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Front and Rear Bumper: How does it affect performance?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
mmmoore8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
mmmoore8's Tacoma Gallery
Front and Rear Bumper: How does it affect performance?

Next quarter at school I am in a lab class where all we do is work in our shop during the week; no hw just time to work on our projects. The only problem is, I don't really have a good project at the moment. I've been researching front and rear bumpers pretty extensively with the intent on building one and found quite a few out there that are pretty pleasing. As a 4 cyl owner i'm just a little concerned about what all this added weight will do? It would basically be adding an extra few hundred pounds even with using smaller 1/8" to 3/16" steel. Would this have any effect on my truck? MPG, etc? Any feedback is greatly appreciated, especially if you have already put one on or built one yourself. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoore8 View Post
Next quarter at school I am in a lab class where all we do is work in our shop during the week; no hw just time to work on our projects. The only problem is, I don't really have a good project at the moment. I've been researching front and rear bumpers pretty extensively with the intent on building one and found quite a few out there that are pretty pleasing. As a 4 cyl owner i'm just a little concerned about what all this added weight will do? It would basically be adding an extra few hundred pounds even with using smaller 1/8" to 3/16" steel. Would this have any effect on my truck? MPG, etc? Any feedback is greatly appreciated, especially if you have already put one on or built one yourself. Thanks.
Maybe 100 LBS, if you are concerned relocate the battery ect... Anything in front of the wheels pull or move if that worried. To crank it up get some coilovers and crank them up. When you start cutting no tuning back
Old 11-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Any added weight will affect mpg. I have 4.0 liter and when I have more than 1 passengers I can feel the added weight when driving, so I can only imagine a 4 cylinder.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Reepur is on a distinguished road
Reepur's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know, I have added 200 lbs of stuff and maybe lost 1 mpg. I get about 20 mpg I think I lost more power from bigger tires ( diameter) than the weight.

Getting a front plate bumper installed with winch in the next month so will see then.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
mmmoore8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
mmmoore8's Tacoma Gallery
great let me know what happens when you do. thanks