Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Low end power

Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
John83 is on a distinguished road
Army: 82nd Airborne Division Infantry vet
John83's Tacoma Gallery
Low end power

Hi, just joined the site so be kind. I have a 2002 4cyl 2.4 litre Tacoma. I bought it brand new in late 2001. It has almost 150,000 miles on it. It feels like it just doesn't have the power that it used to, especially on the low end of the RPM range.

When I let out the clutch in first gear to get the truck moving it needs about 2,000 RPM. Much less than that and it shudders. I've been driving a manual tranny all my life and this particular truck for ten years now so I don't think that it's me. It seems like it used to have more power and torque in the low RPM ranges.

Also it feels like it has stopped building power sooner than it used to. Once I get to about 3500 RPM, especially in the lower gears, that seems to be about as much power as it wants to develop.

Any ideas? I have had the clutch replaced about two years ago, it locked up completely and I recently changed the oil and spark plugs.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe do a compession check on it to see where it is compared to new, you can rent that at an auto parts store. Welcome to the forums!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe try running some Seafoam through it to clean her up internally.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Try cleaning the throttle body and air flow sensor.