1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low end power

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by John83, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    John83

John83 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 4X2 Xtra Cab SR5
    Hi, just joined the site so be kind. I have a 2002 4cyl 2.4 litre Tacoma. I bought it brand new in late 2001. It has almost 150,000 miles on it. It feels like it just doesn't have the power that it used to, especially on the low end of the RPM range.

When I let out the clutch in first gear to get the truck moving it needs about 2,000 RPM. Much less than that and it shudders. I've been driving a manual tranny all my life and this particular truck for ten years now so I don't think that it's me. It seems like it used to have more power and torque in the low RPM ranges.

Also it feels like it has stopped building power sooner than it used to. Once I get to about 3500 RPM, especially in the lower gears, that seems to be about as much power as it wants to develop.

Any ideas? I have had the clutch replaced about two years ago, it locked up completely and I recently changed the oil and spark plugs.

2. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Maybe do a compession check on it to see where it is compared to new, you can rent that at an auto parts store. Welcome to the forums!

3. Nov 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Maybe try running some Seafoam through it to clean her up internally.

4. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    compression check to start.

5. Nov 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    JTacoma

JTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7 4X4 5 speed
    Icon Stage 2 Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 33x12.50x15 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP on American Racing AR201 15x10 wheels, differential drop, carrier bearing drop, BPV bracket, Leer canopy with Rhino Racks
    Try cleaning the throttle body and air flow sensor.

Products Discussed in

To Top