Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Toyota Service Mistake

Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
rydaniels is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rydaniels's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Service Mistake

I took my tacoma in for the toyota care oil change tonight and when I got home I looked over the paperwork and it is noted that 5.5 quarts of 5W-30 were put into the truck. Of course the manual states 5W-20 or 0W-20...but it also says a higher viscosity oil can be used if the truck is operated under frequent heavy loads or at high speeds. I do not operate my truck at high speeds or under frequent heavy loads. I am more than likely going to take it back tomorrow to have 5W-20 put in. Any opinions on the matter? I dont think it is a tremendous deal but If ive been running oil per manual specs, i expect the right oil to be in it. Also this is the last oil change I will have them do.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
I think your being too picky.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine with the oil they put in, but I suggest you learn to do it yourself if you want it done right, and with the oil you want. Otherwise, you get whatever bulk oil they want to throw in.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
It's going to make no difference whatsoever. No reason to waste a perfectly good oil fill.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneBIGroom View Post
I think your being too picky.
I was thinking that too....I mean there isnt too much of a difference....But I would hope that the dealership would know what type of oil goes in my truck per the manual. 5W-30 goes in the V6 but not my 4cyl again per the manual. Gunna sleep on it and see how i feel in the morning
Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You'll be fine with the oil they put in, but I suggest you learn to do it yourself if you want it done right, and with the oil you want. Otherwise, you get whatever bulk oil they want to throw in.
I have always done it myself...but free oil changes are free oil changes...Im going to switch to synth anyway after this cycle
Old 11-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
It's going to make no difference whatsoever. No reason to waste a perfectly good oil fill.
This is true
Old 11-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You cant expect to get exactly what you want when its free.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneBIGroom View Post
You cant expect to get exactly what you want when its free.
youre right....i did a little research on the differences...this is my first brand spanking new vehicle so..im a little uptight about it...but anyway I found this great article about the differences in viscosity and the like and why 5W-20 is essentially a product of CAFE standards and the desire to increase fuel efficiency in a laboratory setting.....www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
Colombiarunner is on a distinguished road

Name: johnny
Colombiarunner's Tacoma Gallery
you should google viscosity of oil and learn what it means, if it were me, I would prefer the 5w30.
click this link if you want a shortcut
Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombiarunner View Post
you should google viscosity of oil and learn what it means, if it were me, I would prefer the 5w30.
click this link if you want a shortcut
youre right...see my post above
Old 11-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Look at the bright side...at least they remembered to put oil back in!
yea.....i got caught up looking at the 2012 crews on the lot and didnt read the paper work til i got home....as mentioned before, I did some more research and I believe it is better to have the 5W-30 in it than the 5W-20
Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
And how do you plan to prove they change what they put in it?
They're going to drive your truck behind the wall while you have a complimentary cup of coffee, and watch tv. About a half hour later, they're going to apolgize and say, "You're all set." And you'll leave the dealership believing that they actually did something. Why not save yourself the aggravation?
I have a better idea, You lay down and I'll kick you in the nuts. It will be alot less painful.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Taco View Post
And how do you plan to prove they change what they put in it?
They're going to drive your truck behind the wall while you have a complimentary cup of coffee, and watch tv. About a half hour later, they're going to apolgize and say, "You're all set." And you'll leave the dealership believing that they actually did something. Why not save yourself the aggravation?
I have a better idea, You lay down and I'll kick you in the nuts. It will be alot less painful.

you are a very honest and truthful man....I appreciate it....good point
Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #16
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I would feel similar to how you are feeling. However, it's not going to do any damage, so call the dealership and complain and get your next oil change free. Then do it yourself after that one. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Taco View Post
I would feel similar to how you are feeling. However, it's not going to do any damage, so call the dealership and complain and get your next oil change free. Then do it yourself after that one. Good luck.
thanks...i figured use up the free oil changes while i got em but i miss getting underneath my truck and getting dirty.....thanks again
Old 11-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
SSS

I'd be uptight if i had a brand new truck too thought
Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
we have 22 new 2011 with the 2.7 in are fleet and they all get 15w40
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #20
jasen7 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jasen
jasen7's Tacoma Gallery
15w40? That's what I run in my Cummins! Not in my 2.7