Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

rear diff locker 4cyl

Old 11-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
jsosa is on a distinguished road
Name: Julio
jsosa's Tacoma Gallery
rear diff locker 4cyl

i didnt find it on the search option, so i am trying to get a locker for my 2gen 4cyl tacoma, and i havent find it, are the diffs the same on 4cyl tacoma and the V6 one?, so can i by a locker for v6 tacoma, will it fit mine?

thanks a lot
Old 11-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I can't really give you any specific advise, but I know a lot of people recommend talking to the guys at Marlin Crawler, or East Coast Gear Supply, etc for reliable info. I'm also pretty sure a lot of people on this forum run Powertrax lockers/ no-slip setups. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The 4 bangers use the 8.4 axle. ARB, Powertrax and a few others make a locker for that axle. The most popular is ARB since it is selectable.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The 4 bangers use the 8.4 axle. ARB, Powertrax and a few others make a locker for that axle. The most popular is ARB since it is selectable.
Its also the most expensive... ARB locker and install will set you back $1500 or so... Powertax is around $300-$400 if you can do the install yourself. When installing Powertrax you don't need to set backlash on the gears... However ARB is selectable and powertrax is locked when you are on gas and unlocked when you are off the gas. Powertax is great for a trail rig, but would suck in daily driver...
Old 11-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepidy View Post
Detroit Locker is great although it is always locked (it does have some minute slip for around turns but not much)
You still loving that gearing and the detroit true trac?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
if its your daily driver don't put anything besides selectable in, just my advice.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Link for your truck, thinking about this for my 5-lug. You will need air, have to buy separately. http://www.mrtoyotaparts.com/Scripts...dproduct=-6695
Old 12-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
patpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura aboutpatpatpat has a spectacular aura about
patpatpat's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't 2011 Prerunner have Auto LSD?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
Doesn't 2011 Prerunner have Auto LSD?
ALL 2009+ Tacomas have TRAC & AUTO LSD... not at all the same as a locking differential, but better than nothing with the open differential.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
jsosa's Tacoma Gallery
rear locker option

thaks for the info, know i have a confusion, if i get a rear 6 cyl diff with the OEM locker, will it work on my 4 cyl if i do the wiring?, is the diferential the same?

thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsosa View Post
thaks for the info, know i have a confusion, if i get a rear 6 cyl diff with the OEM locker, will it work on my 4 cyl if i do the wiring?, is the diferential the same?

thanks
You would need the whole axle.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
jsosa's Tacoma Gallery
Why? I gess its the same just change the diff and its housing isnt it?.the axle , spline count and relation is the same i belive
Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
Banned
They are different axles. The locking axle is a 8.0 and the non locking axle is the "8.4."
Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsosa View Post
Why? I gess its the same just change the diff and its housing isnt it?.the axle , spline count and relation is the same i belive
You'll see the difference the minute you unbolt the third member and try to fit the V6 lockable third on. Ain't gonna fit.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
You'll see the difference the minute you unbolt the third member and try to fit the V6 lockable third on. Ain't gonna fit.
It "can" fit with modifications to the axle housing...

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
It "can" fit with modifications to the axle housing...

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/
That link is about putting a locking 3rd into a non locking 8.0. The 8.4 has larger carrier bearings so the locking 3rd will not work.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
jsosa's Tacoma Gallery
good thanks for all i think im gonna get ARB then because changing the whole axle wont be a good option, and either modifing it, i think TJM make e locker for that taco too ill check thanks! friends