Notices

Towing a camper

Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
hwrdcook is on a distinguished road
Marines: 2nd Mar Div
Name: Howard
hwrdcook's Tacoma Gallery
Towing a camper

Hello. Im new and was wondering what kind of campers, be it pop ups or full hardsides, do any of you tow with your 4 cyl Tacoma. What kind of experiences have you had? I know its rated for 3500 lbs max but what is practical from everyones experiences? Thanks for any comments. I have a 2006 4 cyl, 4x4 access cab.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
A pop-up will be much easier to tow because of their low profile. I used to tow a small Coleman pop-up with a 4 cylinder Ranger and had no issues at all. I think it weighed under 2,000 lbs though, it was pretty compact. Full hard bodied trailers catch a lot of wind and take much more effort to pull so while you'll be fine weight-wise, at speed you'll have to keep your foot buried in the skinny pedal to keep the trailer going, especially up hills.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a pretty interesting thread on a broader topic:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...you-2-7-a.html
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Pnicholas1019 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aircrew (AWF)
Name: Parker
Pnicholas1019's Tacoma Gallery
up hills , your goint to struggle with anything but a pop up, Got to be carefull of your Tranny it will burn it up if your draggin up steep hills.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
IMO you have a manual trans, so it should be a piece of cake. I towed a jet ski to Canada (yes, it was only ~800 lbs, but I could barely tell it was there), I've also loaded the truck with 1700 lbs in the bed, and had no issues getting up to speed or stopping. Just don't be afraid to wind the little 4 banger up.