Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

13 MPG??

Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #21
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
x2

??? I have never had to break in a car for mileage? Even if this were the case, he is getting about half of expected, you are not going to break in that much.
says it right in the owners manual, as for expected mileage, he is a 4cyl 4x4 AC which means he should be getting around 20-23 Avg MPG. My truck didn't see 25 Mpg till It broke it in fully.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #22
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
First tank, pretty close to that, then my Gas mileage slowly came up a little more with every tank.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #23
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
says it right in the owners manual, as for expected mileage, he is a 4cyl 4x4 AC which means he should be getting around 20-23 Avg MPG. My truck didn't see 25 Mpg till It broke it in fully.

But to start at 13 and double after breaking in?
Old 12-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #24
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
ok lets assume you travelled 400 miles and used 20 gallons. show us how you (OP) figure out your mpg.

just to verify your not getting the math wrong
Old 12-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #25
raiderfan is on a distinguished road

raiderfan's Tacoma Gallery
400/20=20mpg

In my case, I traveled 91 mi and topped my tank off at like 6.77 gallons. About the same for the next time. Today it was 92mi and topped it off with something like 8.2 gallons.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #26
berg2065 is on a distinguished road
berg2065's Tacoma Gallery
i know this is not likely with a new truck....but i would almost suspect something is not right with odometer
Old 12-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #27
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
TacoTitan11's Tacoma Gallery
something aint right here
Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #28
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
ok lets assume you travelled 400 miles and used 20 gallons. show us how you (OP) figure out your mpg.

just to verify your not getting the math wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
400/20=20mpg

In my case, I traveled 91 mi and topped my tank off at like 6.77 gallons. About the same for the next time. Today it was 92mi and topped it off with something like 8.2 gallons.
Incorrect! teamfast is Canadian and they don't travel in miles, it was a trick question.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #29
AlaskanTaco will become famous soon enough

AlaskanTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys. I just bought my Tacoma (2011 Access Cab SR5, 4 cyl 4x4)) a few weeks ago (brand new). I traded in my '02 Dakota for it, which had a V8. I went with the 4 cyl because it was in my price range and really, I don't need anything more. I was also curious as to what I would save in fuel.

I've checked my mpg 3 times, so far, and was surprised to see that I got 13, 13, and 12 mpg respectively. I only drive "stop and go", around town and live off a hill, but I would think that those things wouldn't make THAT MUCH of a difference (when reading what many of you guys get). I don't drive crazy and only put about 6,000mi per year on my vehicles.

Truck is stock, with the exception that I replaced the stock tires with new General Grabber AT2's, but they are still the stock size (245/75R16's).

I've read threads as to how to improve mpg, but I really just want to know how to get what I should be getting, or if something is wrong here. Thanks for any info on what my issue (if any) is.
First off, where do you live? Up here in Alaska, we have different seasonal gasoline. Winter gas, I ALWAYS get Crappy gas milage. I am ranging about 16 mpg right now. Come summer time, I have gotten about 26mpg. Try running the next highest octane up. Don't run the highest. When these trucks come in from the factory, the motors already have 6-7 hours already of idle time. Put some med octane in it, Alaska is 85, 88.5 and 89. I will run 88.5 from CHEVRON and run the crap down the highway to allow all of the carbon buildup that has happened from:
Idle time from factory to your hands
Crappy gas they put into it
Brand new motor that is not fully broken in
Also, like others have said, "the truck also needs to break in a little bit.". After that, we can guarantee you that you will love it!!

AlaskanTaco
Old 12-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
hosive is on a distinguished road

hosive's Tacoma Gallery
My co-worker is having the same issue. He drove an 03 4.7 Tundra and got sick of the poor mpg and got a 2011 2.7 AC 4x4 in auto, since purchasing it almost 2 months ago he hasn't been able to get any better than 15mpg, his is all stop and go driving too.

I hope it gets better as it breaks in.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanTaco View Post
First off, where do you live? Up here in Alaska, we have different seasonal gasoline. Winter gas, I ALWAYS get Crappy gas milage. I am ranging about 16 mpg right now. Come summer time, I have gotten about 26mpg. Try running the next highest octane up. Don't run the highest. When these trucks come in from the factory, the motors already have 6-7 hours already of idle time. Put some med octane in it, Alaska is 85, 88.5 and 89. I will run 88.5 from CHEVRON and run the crap down the highway to allow all of the carbon buildup that has happened from:
Idle time from factory to your hands
Crappy gas they put into it
Brand new motor that is not fully broken in
Also, like others have said, "the truck also needs to break in a little bit.". After that, we can guarantee you that you will love it!!

AlaskanTaco
I put in 87 (lowest grade of three) in all three times i topped it off, since owning it. I'm assuming that is what the dealer put in it as well, when they filled it for me the day I bought it. I live in MA.

I do love the truck and to be honest, never even cared about mpg. I just wanted to see what i was getting with the 4 cyl and was totally surprised at what my math was coming out to, after seeing what people were getting on here!!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosive View Post
My co-worker is having the same issue. He drove an 03 4.7 Tundra and got sick of the poor mpg and got a 2011 2.7 AC 4x4 in auto, since purchasing it almost 2 months ago he hasn't been able to get any better than 15mpg, his is all stop and go driving too.

I hope it gets better as it breaks in.
Yeah, I've never owned anything new, so break in and break in miles are both new concepts to me.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #34
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I got my '11 4x4 AC in January and it now has under 4.7K on it. The only change in mpgs I saw was when we switched from winter gas to summer gas and back to winter gas (unless I was fighting a strong wind). It has a 3" lift and a shell. Summer gas 24mpgs hwy, winter gas 20 mpgs. Are your tires LTs? They weigh more than Ps.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
I got my '11 4x4 AC in January and it now has under 4.7K on it. The only change in mpgs I saw was when we switched from winter gas to summer gas and back to winter gas (unless I was fighting a strong wind). It has a 3" lift and a shell. Summer gas 24mpgs hwy, winter gas 20 mpgs. Are your tires LTs? They weigh more than Ps.

Yes LT's. Replaced the stock Dunlops the day after I took the truck home, off of the lot. (same size as the Dunlops though)

Figured if I had any loss of mpg's due to the more aggressive tread or the heavier tire, it still would have been better than what its showing.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #36
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Holy smokes!! It will take me 1/2-3/4 of a year to get those miles!!
Well... DRIVE IT MORE... See America. Go to Baja. Do some four wheeling. It needs a break in period to loosen up! Make sure the automatic is in D Drive and not 4 (it is a 5 speed automatic). The 4 and D are next to each other and you barely tap the shifter to change.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Well... DRIVE IT MORE... See America. Go to Baja. Do some four wheeling. It needs a break in period to loosen up! Make sure the automatic is in D Drive and not 4 (it is a 5 speed automatic). The 4 and D are next to each other and you barely tap the shifter to change.

Yeah, I'll have to just wait for the break-in period and see if I slowly gain MPG as I drive it more.

Its a 4 speed auto and is definitely in D, and not 3. Haven't even used 4wd yet, as our weather has been unbelievably mild, this December.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #39
TacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
I would take it to a good shop, the fuel system could be messed up and she could be running really rich...does it have any black smoke?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaG26 View Post
I would take it to a good shop, the fuel system could be messed up and she could be running really rich...does it have any black smoke?

no black smoke.