Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

13 MPG??

Old 12-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #41
raiderfan is on a distinguished road

raiderfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
any smells after you run it? crank it up and then hop out and run and smell the exhaust. if it doesnt smell just right, then it could be running rich

ok. I'll try that.

soo... if its running rich... what does that exactly mean and what do i need to have done to it?
Old 12-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #42
beacher is on a distinguished road
beacher's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down /

thats deff isnt right..somebody has been steeling your gas. get a locking gas cap
Old 12-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #43
Swamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Swamp Donkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have not updated my fuelly account in awhile, but have tracked every tank of fuel since I bought it. The last month or so I have been in the 15 mpg range. Exactly the same mpg that I get with my 10,000 lb dodge cummins 3500 4x4. Thought I would save on fuel buying a 4cyl. Who knew a truck with 1/4 the power and half the weight could burn so much fuel!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #44
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
I put in 87 (lowest grade of three) in all three times i topped it off, since owning it. I'm assuming that is what the dealer put in it as well, when they filled it for me the day I bought it. I live in MA.

I do love the truck and to be honest, never even cared about mpg. I just wanted to see what i was getting with the 4 cyl and was totally surprised at what my math was coming out to, after seeing what people were getting on here!!
FWIW the winter blend is being used in MA... youll notice a 2-3 mpg difference until April.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkie152 View Post
FWIW the winter blend is being used in MA... youll notice a 2-3 mpg difference until April.

well.. that, coupled with the whole "break in" thing, makes me feel a little better.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #46
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
13mpg on a 4cyl is NOT right under any circumstance, new or otherwise. As others have mentioned, burn a full tank before refilling and calculating. But still I would say anything under 18 is way off unless you're hauling or got a seriously heavy foot. FWIW I average around 18.5 in an auto access cab v6.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #47
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
give it a little time(miles), and after winter. if it doesn't go over 20 mpg+ there's something wrong. new truck + winter gas may cause it to be this low. you should probablly average around 22-23 mpg with this truck in the summer, at least the 4 cyls I've owned seem to get around that.

like other members said, don't have to have tank near empty to ck. milage. just make sure it's full every time. 220 mi.-10 gal.>22 MPG
I also agree W/above post, that 13mpg is really low, and about 18 can be expected in winter.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #48
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beacher View Post
thats deff isnt right..somebody has been steeling your gas. get a locking gas cap
not possible, the 2nd gens have a screen to prevent siphoning gas from the filler tube.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #49
Swamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Swamp Donkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
you should be getting like 22 somethings wrong with you too
My truck is a 2011 bought at the end of August. I hope there is nothing wrong with it. I use my truck for work and there is a little more idle time in the winter. It is frickin cold up here in northern Canada! Eh.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #50
steiger33 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
steiger33's Tacoma Gallery
I would call the dealer you bought your truck for and have them take a look at it. I have the exact same tacoma and from the time I bought my truck i was running those tires and getting around 19-25mpg in town and on the freeway I am getting 23-29mpg. I have since upgrade tires to 265/75R16 and only dropped 1-2 mpg.
Good luck
Old 12-11-2011, 04:36 AM   #51
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Donkey View Post
I have not updated my fuelly account in awhile, but have tracked every tank of fuel since I bought it. The last month or so I have been in the 15 mpg range. Exactly the same mpg that I get with my 10,000 lb dodge cummins 3500 4x4. Thought I would save on fuel buying a 4cyl. Who knew a truck with 1/4 the power and half the weight could burn so much fuel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiger33 View Post
I would call the dealer you bought your truck for and have them take a look at it. I have the exact same tacoma and from the time I bought my truck i was running those tires and getting around 19-25mpg in town and on the freeway I am getting 23-29mpg. I have since upgrade tires to 265/75R16 and only dropped 1-2 mpg.
Good luck
Hmmmm....two similar 2011s getting lousy MPG and one not .

I wouldn't have thought it possible for it to be that low, break in or not ... Worst I've ever got (2007 4cyl/4x4/5spd Access Cab) is 18.9. That was during a long winter cold snap, like -10 to -25 Fahrenheit. Lot of time idling to warm the truck .... work night shift, so it would cold soak pretty bad overnight. But I didn't buy it new, so I don't know about the break in period.

Please update us after you run a full tank thru.

Also, don't know if it would help or not, but I've taken to running a can of SeaFoam through about every fifth tank. It does seem to make a difference in how the truck runs, but didn't change my MPG any. I started doing it on the recommendation of a friend who has had very good luck using it.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Hmmmm....two similar 2011s getting lousy MPG and one not .

I wouldn't have thought it possible for it to be that low, break in or not ... Worst I've ever got (2007 4cyl/4x4/5spd Access Cab) is 18.9. That was during a long winter cold snap, like -10 to -25 Fahrenheit. Lot of time idling to warm the truck .... work night shift, so it would cold soak pretty bad overnight. But I didn't buy it new, so I don't know about the break in period.

Please update us after you run a full tank thru.

I will update after letting a full tank run through it. As I said, by that time, I should be hitting my winter break from work, so I'll be able to shoot it over to the dealer here in town and see what they say about it.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #53
Zoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Zoot's Tacoma Gallery
How are you running 3/4 of a tank of gas and only putting in 7 gallons?? Do you mean 17 gallons? Are you dividing wrong... ? Is there a huge flammable puddle sitting in your driveway?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:05 AM   #54

I was talking about it being 3/4 full. (used 1/4 tank of gas).

No flammable puddle in my driveway...

Question:

The process of getting it inspected (for the state inspection sticker) after I bought it, wouldn't tell the dealer that something wasn't running right?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #55
crashnrondo is on a distinguished road
Name: Ron
crashnrondo's Tacoma Gallery
I hope the dealer comes up with something for you because I kind of have a similar issue. My 2008 regular cab 4x4 netted 22 mpg's pretty easy with my daily drive to and from work. Now I have a 2010 AC 4x4, with the same tires I had on the 2008 and same model topper the best I could manage with the same drive is 20.5 mpg's and last winter during a cold snowy snap it dropped to 18.5 mpg's. Fast forward to this fall and my milage was staying around 19.5, then it dropped to the 17's and my last fill up was 16.5 and that was after changing the air filter and re-setting the ECU.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #56
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Driving only stop & go and putting 6000 miles a year on your vehicle? What's your average daily commute?

Sounds to me like your engine never hits operating temps, plus isnt broken in, plus crappy winter gas, plus driving only stop & go is all leading to bad mileage.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #57
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
My grandfather bought a new base model 2.7 last year. His mileage started at 15mpg off the lot, climbing to 23mpg in a period of 5000 miles.

Winter gas on a new engine never yields great mpg. Give it some miles and see how it does.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterragaia View Post
Driving only stop & go and putting 6000 miles a year on your vehicle? What's your average daily commute?

Sounds to me like your engine never hits operating temps, plus isnt broken in, plus crappy winter gas, plus driving only stop & go is all leading to bad mileage.
I work right here in town, a few miles away from my house. Mainly drive to work and home everyday, and around town for errands. If we go anywhere (weekend getaways or whatever) we always took my girlfriend's car (that's also when I was running a V8 Dakota). I had that for 7 years and put 40,000 miles on it.

Your theory would be good news to me. Would rather have that be true than having something wrong with my brand new truck!!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #59
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
do you let it idle a lot when you start it in the mornings? that makes a big difference. my truck and my honda civic hatchback both lose mileage in the winter. my car goes from 42+ down to 32-35mpg in the winter. percentage loss isnt as bad as yours but it is a big difference.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
do you let it idle a lot when you start it in the mornings? that makes a big difference. my truck and my honda civic hatchback both lose mileage in the winter. my car goes from 42+ down to 32-35mpg in the winter. percentage loss isnt as bad as yours but it is a big difference.

Probably 15 or so minutes, in the a.m. before work. But even that hasn't been consistent because of our extremely mild end of Nov/early Dec, this year.