Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

13 MPG??

Old 12-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
raiderfan is on a distinguished road

raiderfan's Tacoma Gallery
13 MPG??

Hey guys. I just bought my Tacoma (2011 Access Cab SR5, 4 cyl 4x4)) a few weeks ago (brand new). I traded in my '02 Dakota for it, which had a V8. I went with the 4 cyl because it was in my price range and really, I don't need anything more. I was also curious as to what I would save in fuel.

I've checked my mpg 3 times, so far, and was surprised to see that I got 13, 13, and 12 mpg respectively. I only drive "stop and go", around town and live off a hill, but I would think that those things wouldn't make THAT MUCH of a difference (when reading what many of you guys get). I don't drive crazy and only put about 6,000mi per year on my vehicles.

Truck is stock, with the exception that I replaced the stock tires with new General Grabber AT2's, but they are still the stock size (245/75R16's).

I've read threads as to how to improve mpg, but I really just want to know how to get what I should be getting, or if something is wrong here. Thanks for any info on what my issue (if any) is.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Something is not right, I get a lot better than that in my 6 and my foot is heavy as hell.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Are you ever towing or carrying heavy loads? How are you figuring your MPG, is it a scan gauge? Is it a used or new Tacoma?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Air pressure in tires makes a differance. Different tires than stock may need more air than the recommended amounts by Toyota.

Make sure you are not in 4WD, although steering on pavement is pretty hard if you are.

I have a V-6, automatic 4WD double cab... 15-19 mpg is my range in 2WD city to highway. The I-4 engine should get you 21-26 mpg from what others have posted.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Are you ever towing or carrying heavy loads? How are you figuring your MPG, is it a scan gauge? Is it a used or new Tacoma?

No towing or carrying anything.

I would top the tank off, then set my trip meter to zero, and go from there. Would run the truck until around a 1/4 tank was used, and then filled up again to see how many gallons it took, compared to the mi driven.

Drove anywhere from 90-92 miles and filled up just under 7 gallons of gas each time, with the exception of this time when i filled up just over 8 gallons.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Something is not right! Take it to a mechanic or dealer you trust (if there is such a thing).
From what I've read on here, even the 6cyl folks do much better than that. My '07 Access Cab SR5 4cyl/4x4/5spd averages 20-21 MPG on Winter tires (Blizzaks) and 22-23 MPG on Summer tires. And I don't baby the gas pedal and use 4x4 quite a bit in winter (Alaska).
Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Like DavidK said, check your tires, but for them to drop you approx. 10 mpgs, something else is wrong. Have you checked your plugs and wires, something could be misfiring? Does it seem to run smooth? Is there a possibility that someone could be stealing your gas?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #8

I guess i could take it to the dealer and see what they think. Its under its full warranty, but not sure that would cover anything, in this case. Just afraid they would say it was because of the tires that replaced the stock tires -- which i know would not be true after reading a ton of posts on this forum!!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
I guess i could take it to the dealer and see what they think. Its under its full warranty, but not sure that would cover anything, in this case. Just afraid they would say it was because of the tires that replaced the stock tires -- which i know would not be true after reading a ton of posts on this forum!!
Tires of the same stock size aren't going to make a 7-10 MPG drop.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Like DavidK said, check your tires, but for them to drop you approx. 10 mpgs, something else is wrong. Have you checked your plugs and wires, something could be misfiring? Does it seem to run smooth? Is there a possibility that someone could be stealing your gas?

Ha! No, nobody stealing my gas. Must be something else. I am coming up on my winter vacation soon, so I'll have time to stop at the dealer. Thanks guys! I belong to a ton of forums, but have never had as quick responses as this!!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
Ha! No, nobody stealing my gas. Must be something else. I am coming up on my winter vacation soon, so I'll have time to stop at the dealer. Thanks guys! I belong to a ton of forums, but have never had as quick responses as this!!

Welcome aboard Tacoma World!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Don't check your mileage at the 3/4 level... Do the full tank check when you are at the 1/4 tank line or the low fuel light comes on... The mileage does change the longer you drive. It is a 21 gallon tank and there is about 3 gallons reserve between the gauge and what you got really. In other words, when the gauge needle is on the E line, you will only get 18 gallons (approx.) in the tank to fill it. Put your mouse over my info. on the left for more gauge details.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Don't check your mileage at the 3/4 level... Do the full tank check when you are at the 1/4 tank line or the low fuel light comes on... The mileage does change the longer you drive. It is a 21 gallon tank and there is about 3 gallons reserve between the gauge and what you got really. In other words, when the gauge needle is on the E line, you will only get 18 gallons (approx.) in the tank to fill it. Put your mouse over my info. on the left for more gauge details.

Ok. Had that in the back of my mind, but wasn't sure or not if that would make a difference (checking it so soon). But since I just filled it up again, a couple of hours ago, I will do what you say, next -- run it until just about empty -- to see what I get.

The truck is brand new (400 mi), so I am hoping and assuming that it is running how it should, as far as wires and plugs go. I mean it seems to run fine. Definitely more sluggish than my dodge, but attributed that to going from driving a V8 for 7 years to jumping into a 4 cyl.

The tires were installed by a long time tire place in our town. All they do is tires and they have put many tire chains that have attempted to move into our town, out of business. When the business owner put the tires on, he explained to me what psi he was doing for the front and back and then explained why (better grip, more comfortable ride, etc.) Just can't remember what psi he said and haven't checked it, since they were just put on the day after I bought the truck.

Interested to see what I find now though, by running the truck on gas longer than what I have been. By that time, it should be my winter vacation from work, so if things don't change, then I'll have time to stop at the dealer. Again, thanks a lot guys!!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Is it a manual? try running it at the lowest rpms possible I stay at 1750 at 55 mph.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post

The guage reading is irrelevant.

OP said that he is taking the amount of fuel put in the truck when he fills up and dividing it into the miles driven, and that is an accurate figure of gas mileage- regardless of the fuel gauge.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco07 View Post
Is it a manual? try running it at the lowest rpms possible I stay at 1750 at 55 mph.

Automatic
Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Don't panic , truck is brand new and it takes 3-4000 miles before you achieve full gas mileage. it needs to break in.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #18
JimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura aboutJimmyBuckets has a spectacular aura about
JimmyBuckets's Tacoma Gallery
I have been seeing the same thing but I have a v6...I decided to take off my cap and have seen a pretty big improvement so far of about 2-3 mpg.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
Don't panic , truck is brand new and it takes 3-4000 miles before you achieve full gas mileage. it needs to break in.

Holy smokes!! It will take me 1/2-3/4 of a year to get those miles!!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
The guage reading is irrelevant.

OP said that he is taking the amount of fuel put in the truck when he fills up and dividing it into the miles driven, and that is an accurate figure of gas mileage- regardless of the fuel gauge.
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
??? I have never had to break in a car for mileage? Even if this were the case, he is getting about half of expected, you are not going to break in that much.