Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

rpm high or normal???

Old 12-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
HIM
eh2win is on a distinguished road

eh2win's Tacoma Gallery
rpm high or normal???

i have 5-speed 2.7 09 and wondering what the normal rpm range or number that your truck does when doing 70mph. mine does around 2500 rpm going flat no down/uphills. just want to know is that normal or should it be lower? truck is stock.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
That's normal. Since the 4 banger has no power it requires shorter gearing.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds about right use the tire size calculator link at the bottom of the page to see what your proper rpm's should be.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
That's normal. Since the 4 banger has no power it requires shorter gearing.
Yep.

Have the same truck at work. 2500 in 5th at 70, 3000 in 4th, 4300 or so in 3rd climbing big hills. 3rd is a little noisy, but doesn't seem to bother the engine. The Prius drivers seem surprised to see an 09 2wd Tacoma with a giant aluminum work shell on it coming up hard on their ass when they are camping in the fast lane on a 7% grade. She likes to spin.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Yep.

Have the same truck at work. 2500 in 5th at 70, 3000 in 4th, 4300 or so in 3rd climbing big hills. 3rd is a little noisy, but doesn't seem to bother the engine. The Prius drivers seem surprised to see an 09 2wd Tacoma with a giant aluminum work shell on it coming up hard on their ass when they are camping in the fast lane on a 7% grade. She likes to spin.
I hate those people. I rode on I95 speed limit 60 actual speed of traffic about 90 and a Prius was blocking us for about 10 miles before it finally switched lanes out of the way which neither of us couldn't get over due to all of the traffic pulling in the slow lane to pass us. I finally bit the bullet and pulled over to let it get over and promptly stomped the gas to get around them.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
I hate those people. I rode on I95 speed limit 60 actual speed of traffic about 90 and a Prius was blocking us for about 10 miles before it finally switched lanes out of the way which neither of us couldn't get over due to all of the traffic pulling in the slow lane to pass us. I finally bit the bullet and pulled over to let it get over and promptly stomped the gas to get around them.
Trouble with a 4 banger is you stomp on it and not much happens. Once I have slowed down it sucks having to accelerate back up to speed. My 06 with the 4.0 is a different story.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Will The Thrill

Yea my first truck was a I4 2.2L 5-speed Chevy S10 damn thing was the slowest pos I've ever sat in. Lots of memories in it though.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
HIM
eh2win is on a distinguished road

eh2win's Tacoma Gallery
cool glad to hear its normal had me thinking for a second thanks for the info
Old 12-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh2win View Post
when doing 70mph. mine does around 2500 rpm
My 4x4 does the same on stock tires, but we have different final gear ratios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Trouble with a 4 banger is you stomp on it and not much happens. Once I have slowed down it sucks having to accelerate back up to speed.
That's when you downshift & you'll have no problems getting back up to speed.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
That's when you downshift & you'll have no problems getting back up to speed.
I do have to admit these new four cylinders do very, very well for what they are. But you definitely do have to wind them up tight on the big hills.