Notices

2.7 Rough idle when in gear...

Old 12-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Hessian is on a distinguished road
Marines: CWO4
Hessian's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 Rough idle when in gear...

Hello All,
My first post here... I bought a used Taco a year ago, been great so far. Recently I;ve noticed a rough idle when stopped (i.e. at stop lights). Drives/accelerates just fine the problem is only when it's in gear and my foot is on the brake.
If I put it in park at the light, the engine runs normal. Again, I only have this issue when the Truck is in Drive, stopped and my foot's on the brake.
Any ideas?
No CEL. I have the base model, so no Tachometer but I can tell/hear the rpms dip when it does this.
Thanks
Hessian
Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian View Post
Hello All,
My first post here... I bought a used Taco a year ago, been great so far. Recently I;ve noticed a rough idle when stopped (i.e. at stop lights). Drives/accelerates just fine the problem is only when it's in gear and my foot is on the brake.
If I put it in park at the light, the engine runs normal. Again, I only have this issue when the Truck is in Drive, stopped and my foot's on the brake.
Any ideas?
No CEL. I have the base model, so no Tachometer but I can tell/hear the rpms dip when it does this.
Thanks
Hessian
Could be many things but I bet if you disconnect the battery, clean out your throttle body and re set the computer it might resolve the issue. I would do this first and go from there. Any service records for PO? How's the tranny fluid look?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
What year?....how many miles?.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
that is normal with small automatics.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian View Post
Hello All,
Any ideas?
Thanks
Hessian
Bad TPS?
Old 12-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
2000tacoTRD is on a distinguished road
2000tacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Have you fixed it I'm having the same issue
Old 12-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
This has been discussed before. Assuming no misfire (which would be very obvious), it's normal to have a slight vibration when idling in gear with a 4 cyl automatic... at least with these trucks anyway, by what I've read on here. Mine idles at about 600 rpm in gear and the pulsing of the 4 cyl under light load at low rpm feels rougher than it should be, but actually nothing is wrong. And just like yours, the idle will smooth out if I put the transmission in N or P. It couldn't hurt to clean the TB and MAF, and maybe check the plugs if high mileage. Posting your vehicle information would be helpful (year/mileage). Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
I took my 2011 to the dealer for a rough idle but they said it was normal. It's annoying but I'm learning to live with it. You guys that still have a throttle cable could probably just up your idle 50-100 rpm and smooth yours out. My 3RZ truck was actually smoother than my 2TR b/c I just upped the idle a little with the idle adjustment screw.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
gray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to behold

gray223's Tacoma Gallery
My 96 does the same when it hits 750 rpm it shakes.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
My 07 shakes a bit too. Toyota wants it to idle at 650 rpm when I have it stopped in neutral and that's when it gets rough. Funny part is, if they would have left it at 670 rpm like those first few seconds after it comes down to idle, it would be smooth as glass.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Fordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shedFordless is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USAF Civilian
Name: Jack
Fordless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
My 07 shakes a bit too. Toyota wants it to idle at 650 rpm when I have it stopped in neutral and that's when it gets rough. Funny part is, if they would have left it at 670 rpm like those first few seconds after it comes down to idle, it would be smooth as glass.

What gets me about the whole deal is it sounds like the dealer can not adjust the base idle. You would think it would be no problem with the software they have but apparently this is not the case.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
BrandonFM is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
BrandonFM's Tacoma Gallery
My 2013 4 cyl automatic does the same thing! It gets annoying sometimes!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
My 96 2.4L does the same thing. Idles at about 600-650 when in drive but sitting stationary. Feels rougher than a V6 would, but I attribute that to it being four cylinders in a line instead of 6 in a V-pattern. So chances are, it's the normal idle/roughness for you, too.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. My 2012 does it too, as do many 4cyl auto vehicles.