Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

First real off-road test in the new '09

Old 11-24-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
stro1965 is on a distinguished road

Army: Infantry
stro1965's Tacoma Gallery
First real off-road test in the new '09

My regular cab 4 cylinder 4x4 Taco was put through the paces in a big way this past week on a Nebraska Sandhills deer hunting trip. Did right around 200 off-road miles, many of them in very challenging terrain. (The sandhills look tame from a distance but, in places, are VERY rough and almost impassable in a stock truck.)

Overall, it did very well! It needs more clearance, I was nearly high-centered a few times and would have surely gotten stuck in one spot if I had stopped. I gunned it and made it through though. The stock tires (for now) did well in the sand.

The relatively wide stance made handling steep sidehills a breeze. I was able to traverse sidehills that we can't do with a Polaris Ranger.

A few times I had to get into 4 lo just to pull straight up steep hills, and more power would have been VERY welcome. Twice I just flat ran out of power and had to back down and try again.

The steering had me wondering if something was wrong right from the start. When handling tough terrain it seemed like there was something loose up front. I consistently felt a "knocking" through the steering wheel that I've never felt with any of my Dodges. Back on the road it feels fine though.

The truck had just over 1000 miles on it at the start and now I need to spend a day cleaning it up. It's filthy and the poor thing has surface scratches from cactus all up and down both sides that will need to be buffed out.

My dad and I both took nice bucks and dad, who was skeptical at first, (he's a Ford guy) was more than a little impressed with Toyota. In fact, on the ride home he was asking a lot of questions about the different body styles and about Tundras.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #3

Here are a couple of pics of the deer...you can kinda see the type of terrain.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Nice deer!!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #5

Thanks TRDMAN, neither one are necessarily wall-hangers but I'll do antler mounts myself. Mama says I already have enough heads on the wall and there's no more room. Silly woman.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
Glad to see the truck made it..
Not a fan of deer hunting, but that is me.
i have to say hats off to the truck...
Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
Wren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Wren's Tacoma Gallery
Now i did not do 200 miles offroad but i did a good amount, but was stupid and over did my limits and ruined the bumper, so got to keep in shape
Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico Taco View Post
I have an 08 that had the same front end problems so I took back for a front end realignment and that fixed my problem. Had to pay to have it done.
dealer claimed it was not a warranty issue worth the price though.
Glad that fixed you're problem. Welcome to TW.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 AM   #9
northlite is on a distinguished road
northlite's Tacoma Gallery
Love the pic of your dad with his deer. You both did well. Congrats! And congrats on your new Taco.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the Taco!

Nice whitetail and mulie.....congrats..
Hey can you put those awesome pics in the hunting pic thread, many that visit that forum would love to see them.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gun...hing-pics.html
Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have the Traction control on or off?