Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Need some newbie advice

Old 12-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Taco02 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brad
Taco02's Tacoma Gallery
Need some newbie advice

First off, new to the site and new to the Tacoma world.... Just purchased my first ever truck (i know i know) im a car guy and have been all my life. Just wondering what are the basic must do mods to net me a few more hp? I have a 2002 reg cab Tacoma 4x4 im guessing with the 2.7 as its a 6 lug? I already have a Mass airflow sensor adaptor with a cone filter I just got off ebay......Otherwise truck is completley bone stock.....Should I get some headers and what kind of exhaust sounds good on these?

Thanks Again
Old 12-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Taco02's Tacoma Gallery
Basically it's a adapter that bolts directly to the MAF you remove the stock box and allows you to put on a cone style "open" filter. Better than a drop in. In my opinion. But yea I'll do the elec fan and the synthetic no doubt. Was looking at some headers as well
Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Taco02's Tacoma Gallery
Well damn. Luckily it was only 20 bucks. Lemme try to find something on this deck plate mod your talking about.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco02 View Post
First off, new to the site and new to the Tacoma world.... Just purchased my first ever truck (i know i know) im a car guy and have been all my life. Just wondering what are the basic must do mods to net me a few more hp? I have a 2002 reg cab Tacoma 4x4 im guessing with the 2.7 as its a 6 lug? I already have a Mass airflow sensor adaptor with a cone filter I just got off ebay......Otherwise truck is completley bone stock.....Should I get some headers and what kind of exhaust sounds good on these?

Thanks Again
Reality check....
If you just bought this and you're already looking for more power you should have gotten the V6.

When everything is tip top and you still want more power, give it a fluff and buff and resell it.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Taco02's Tacoma Gallery
I'm good on the v6. If that was the case I'd got a Duramax. It's just a little back and forth to work truck lol. I needed a 4x4 for the snow as I have a 40 mile commute and got a 4 banger for the gas, and everyone wants more power. There's not a thing I have ever owned that I didn't mod. Hell I have a banshee that will smoke this thing lol. Just feeding my need to make it better lol
Old 12-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Ditch the ebay junk and run the stock airbox with the deckplate mod. Add a header if you like but don't expect much in the end. It is a 4 banger.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco02 View Post
I'm good on the v6. If that was the case I'd got a Duramax. It's just a little back and forth to work truck lol. I needed a 4x4 for the snow as I have a 40 mile commute and got a 4 banger for the gas, and everyone wants more power. There's not a thing I have ever owned that I didn't mod. Hell I have a banshee that will smoke this thing lol. Just feeding my need to make it better lol
Ouch.
You got the auto.

I was afraid that the auto would be a turd.
Maybe they're OK.

Very happy with the stick.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #9

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Hehehehe.....

My pal Rick's famous last words describing a street race : "Then I put the bottle to 'er "
Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Old 12-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #11

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
i have auto v6, would like manual just b/c you can get so much more power out of it but the auto is pretty good on these trucks
No doubt, but sometimes an auto behind a 4 can take a snappy engine and turn it into a turd.
I don't think that the auto (2.7) was even available in my trim package.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Taco02's Tacoma Gallery
Lmao I'm not expecting neck snapping power. I know it's "just a 4cyl" but if I have a few hundred to blow then headers, exhaust and a filter will make it a better "just a 4cyl" lol that's the point
Old 12-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
Taco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Ouch.
You got the auto.

I was afraid that the auto would be a turd.
Maybe they're OK.

Very happy with the stick.

Good luck.
Not saying its a turd because my banshee will smoke it. My banshee has a few thousand under the fenders and will run a football field (300ft) in under 4 secs.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, save your money. I've got the DT header and really at the end of the day nothing really makes it faster unless you swap a high output engine and drivetrain into it. Just make sure it's got new spark plugs and runs well. Save your money. My .2 cents.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
Taco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Honestly, save your money. I've got the DT header and really at the end of the day nothing really makes it faster unless you swap a high output engine and drivetrain into it. Just make sure it's got new spark plugs and runs well. Save your money. My .2 cents.
Your Probally right. Lol. Unless 10-15 Hp by adding all the above really matters. Which I don't guess it does lol. My wife even have me hell for even ordering a filter. "you just got the truck and your on eBay" lol well at least I'm swapping out the freakng cassette player for a nice double din lmao