Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7L 4 cyl differences

Old 11-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
SALEENSSC is on a distinguished road

SALEENSSC's Tacoma Gallery
2.7L 4 cyl differences

I own a 02' tacoma access cab 4x4 automatic with the 2.7L 4 cyl motor (78k miles). My question is in regards to the motor itself. If i undertsand correctly this motor is still available in the newer 2nd gen trucks also. What are the major differences between the 2.7 in my 02' tacoma and that of the newer trucks? Is there a difference in HP and Torque? if so how much? are the newer 2.7 motors more fuel effecient? does my 2.7 need to be maintained any differently than the newer 2.7 motors? any info would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the tacomas and would love to learn more about them.

thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
it's not the same motor. the 05+ tacoma's come with a 2.8L
Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
My 2008 has the 2.7. The only difference I know of is the Variable valve timing and the composite valve cover. I'm sure there is more that I am unaware of.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
it's not the same motor. the 05+ tacoma's come with a 2.8L
No wonder I got the truck for a good price. My dealer kept .1L of my engine.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland View Post
no wonder i got the truck for a good price. My dealer kept .1l of my engine.
lmao!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Squirrel Mincer
1-3-2-4 has a spectacular aura about1-3-2-4 has a spectacular aura about
1-3-2-4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1-3-2-4
As mentioned, the old 2.7 was SOHC and the new 2.7 is DOHC with VVTi. Bunch of other emissions related stuff like e-throttle, multiple cats, secondary filter, etc.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-3-2-4 View Post
As mentioned, the old 2.7 was SOHC and the new 2.7 is DOHC with VVTi. Bunch of other emissions related stuff like e-throttle, multiple cats, secondary filter, etc.
The old 2.7 was a DOHC also, and my 2000 had 2 cats. Biggest diferences are the ignition system, VVT-i, and Throttle by wire. Other than those things, and some minor things nothing else has changed. The "Old" 3RZ-FE was rated at 150 h.p. (probably 141 by todays ratings), while the new 2.7 is rated at 159.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Squirrel Mincer
1-3-2-4 has a spectacular aura about1-3-2-4 has a spectacular aura about
1-3-2-4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1-3-2-4
Ah yes, you are right about the valvetrain, whoops...
Old 11-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
and the newer 2TR-FE engine, like i have, is very responsive. i test drove an older 2.7 and it was a little bit different. although im sure the throttle by wire could have had something to do with it. but over all, im happy to say my tacoma is just pushing over 160 something hp. few mods here and there dont hurt
Old 12-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
i must have been drunk when i posted this :lol:
Old 12-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
New Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Retired
Name: Fred
New Mexico Taco's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 4cyl difference.

I drove an 2002 acess cab 4x4 for six years and happy with it. One day at Karl Malone Toyota having some work done and looking around. Drove home in a 2008 access cab 2.7 cyl 4x4. Took awhile to get used to the size difference because I go off road alot. As for power difference I don't know what Toyota did to my old four banger cause it will blow the doors off my old truck.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
you mean the new 2.7 is more powerful then your 02?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #13
New Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Retired
Name: Fred
New Mexico Taco's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 4cyl difference

YES I don't know how they did it but there is a difference.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
dual cams, better technology
Old 12-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. DOHC. gotta love it .