Notices

Should i take my CAt off?

Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
SickTacoFoSho
piratesvarsity22 is on a distinguished road
piratesvarsity22's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piratesvarsity22
Question Should i take my CAt off?

my check engine light just came on looks like the cat is bad, i live in fla nd they dont do inspections here. whats the diff with a cat on and off. will it be louder better gas mileage
Old 11-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
what makes you think it's the cat?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
SickTacoFoSho
i hooked it up to the obd2 and said that it was ...
Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Ah, ok. Pulling the cat will make the downstream O2 sensor throw a fit. Might have to get a sensor simulator. URD sells them.

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518515

but it only lists installation for 05 and up and on the 4.0 only. maybe call them and see what they say.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
NO...
Old 11-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TRDMAN- View Post
NO...
no what???
Old 11-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
SickTacoFoSho
honestly unless i replace the cat, im always gonna have the check engine light on, im thinkin bout knockin the guts out of the cat and if i ever move back up to PA they will see that the cat is still installed, but which way will get better gas mileage?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Hollowed cats sound like shit.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Hollowed cats sound like shit.
Thats why i say NO....
Old 11-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #10
Crazy Person.....
br217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nice
br217398's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to br217398
not sure where in fl you live, but i choped off the cat, and muffler.... a bit louder (ok loud enough to wake up the neighbors but i dont like them anyways) i have the 4 banger, and it sounds good. hope this helps
Old 11-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
replace the cat. it's not that expenseive to do.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #12

Does anybody know how long the "federally mandated emission components extended warranty" my Haynes manual talks about lasts? Would a 95 still be covered? If so maybe it can be replaced for free?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Jason
jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

As for the OP fix the cat correctly, It can save you fuel and maint. issues down the road.
Find a credible shop, the can test your cat for you. I have had a couple replaced on GM vehicles, for 125.00 installed (aftermarket of cousre at a local exhaust shop.)
FYI just bc a scanner OBD2 says PO420 cat below eff, doesnt ,mean THE CAT is the problem nessecarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
Does anybody know how long the "federally mandated emission components extended warranty" my Haynes manual talks about lasts? Would a 95 still be covered? If so maybe it can be replaced for free?

I know for GM vehicles, unless they have a warranty block (salvaged title)
or something similar, the are warrantied for 8 years, or 80k miles.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
SickTacoFoSho
tru tru thanks guys... and the haynes thing and stock warranty shit is 7 years :-(