Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

The 2.7L Single Cab Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #2601
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The only writeup that I've seen here was when the non-airbag seats were transplanted into a newer model like you did.

I'd like to see a writeup on a new to new swap, and an old-to-old swap.
I don't have side airbags, but I'd want the swap to be as "plug and play" as possible, both for resale purposes and for liability issues.

I'd really not want to be in the position of owning a truck that killed a friend because I valued having buckets more than the designed safety standards. Not only would I feel like shit, but I'd imagine the insurance company might have something to say about it.

The problem with hacking the harness... if that is needed... to make '07 buckets work in an '07, is that there's no way to test the system to verify that the passenger airbag will work.

I'd love to install non-airbag buckets, but I'm not going to do it unless my bench harness will plug right in, and so far, I haven't been able to find any confirmation on whether they are compatible or not... only swaps between different years, or where magnets are needed on the passenger seat rail, or where the bench seat pressure pads need to be transplanted to the buckets.
Are you talking about side impact or don't impact. My swap all employs the seat position sensor and I have full use of side impact. Why you can't reuse the sensors I'm the stock bench is beyond me. I swapped out my seat sensor from mine when Iswapped to buckets. That main one should also control side impact
Old 06-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #2602
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
Are you talking about side impact or don't impact. My swap all employs the seat position sensor and I have full use of side impact. Why you can't reuse the sensors I'm the stock bench is beyond me. I swapped out my seat sensor from mine when Iswapped to buckets. That main one should also control side impact
Convenience.

#1 - I'm working in a condo parking lot and have to keep any mods low-key. No suspension mods at all, have to be careful with tire rotations and brakes. I could be working on the passenger side with the door open, and end up with someone parked a foot away from the driver side, restricting access for hours (or the rest of the night). I need to be able to work quickly and in stages that allow me to quickly pack up and move the truck if needed. More than once I've had to reposition to move from one side to the other doing brake jobs. Imagine working in a Walmart parking lot with your garage anywhere from 50 to 500ft away... with the added issue that I am on the HOA board so I can't have it look like I am getting away with something that anyone else might receive a letter for.

#2 - I don't want to hack into the stock bench. I'd rather keep it as-is for easier reinstallation when it comes time to trade/sell, or if someone with buckets wants to buy a bench.

I already have a pair of grey buckets (driver side is 5 or 7-way power) from a '95 Silverado. I'm not 100% certain they would fit between the door and the trans tunnel, but even if they do, I know I'd have to transplant the sensors. I bought them for the Suburban but never installed them.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #2603
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Convenience.

#1 - I'm working in a condo parking lot and have to keep any mods low-key. No suspension mods at all, have to be careful with tire rotations and brakes. I could be working on the passenger side with the door open, and end up with someone parked a foot away from the driver side, restricting access for hours (or the rest of the night). I need to be able to work quickly and in stages that allow me to quickly pack up and move the truck if needed. More than once I've had to reposition to move from one side to the other doing brake jobs. Imagine working in a Walmart parking lot with your garage anywhere from 50 to 500ft away... with the added issue that I am on the HOA board so I can't have it look like I am getting away with something that anyone else might receive a letter for.

#2 - I don't want to hack into the stock bench. I'd rather keep it as-is for easier reinstallation when it comes time to trade/sell, or if someone with buckets wants to buy a bench.

I already have a pair of grey buckets (driver side is 5 or 7-way power) from a '95 Silverado. I'm not 100% certain they would fit between the door and the trans tunnel, but even if they do, I know I'd have to transplant the sensors. I bought them for the Suburban but never installed them.
I changed my bench up to a loss in resel when I decided to do bucket swap. Was able to get 50 for it without sensors or buckles
Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #2605
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbishopp View Post
I have the same problem. i can do more in the parking lot at work.
Job I had from 1996 to 2006 was awesome. It was a branch office for a smallish company. From '96 to '00, it was me, the boss, and a coffee pot.
We had a warehouse/shop space in an industrial park that was about 8x the size we needed for our limited inventory and filing cabinets.
That shop was basically an extension of my garage. Boss gave me free reign evenings and weekends as long as there was no evidence Monday morning (or the next morning).
Taught myself how to weld in that shop, used it to provide shade for detailing, added Fabtech AAL's to my '94 DLX, changed the timing belt on my '03 Tundra....
Old 06-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #2606
SuazoYota is on a distinguished road

Name: Spencer
SuazoYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey View Post
Here is one on a 5lug. shouldn't be too different, besides actual part numbers.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...per-build.html
Cool Thank you disc0monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSeven View Post
Installing an ARB is not easy (I have one in my rear). It requires a skill set, and some tools that most mechanics don't have. Getting the e-locker to work would be trivial compared to installing an ARB.

I'm also sure you can find a junkyard elocker rear diff for less then the cost of an Air locker as well.

It was an easier decision for me because I was also re-gearing at the same time I put the ARB in, but had I not been doing that I think an elocker would've been the easier route.
You make a valid point Mike. I think hunting down a junkyard axle might be in the near future. Thank you for your advice
Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #2607
RSMick is on a distinguished road
Name: Mick
RSMick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWF03 View Post
Hey all ... Currently the owner of an '03 XC Tacoma. However, I am about to pick up my '13 MGM RC 4x4 late next month. Just wanted to say all the RC's here made it an easy decision!
Nice color choice! Congrats on the new truck.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #2608
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWF03 View Post
Hey all ... Currently the owner of an '03 XC Tacoma. However, I am about to pick up my '13 MGM RC 4x4 late next month. Just wanted to say all the RC's here made it an easy decision!
Post a couple pics. MGMs are the best color
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #2609
spaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to behold

Army: 3/8 CAV 1CD
Name: Sam
spaulding88's Tacoma Gallery
Hoping to maybe bring this home in the next couple of days, as long as I can get the price down a little.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national
Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #2610
Needs money for mods
HombreSteven is on a distinguished road

HombreSteven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulding88 View Post
Hoping to maybe bring this home in the next couple of days, as long as I can get the price down a little.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national
I have the same one in silver. I absolutely love it.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #2611
spaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to behold

Army: 3/8 CAV 1CD
Name: Sam
spaulding88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HombreSteven View Post
I have the same one in silver. I absolutely love it.
I never really was a big fan of the white. I was looking for silver or black, but the white is starting to grow on me.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #2612
RC4413 is on a distinguished road

RC4413's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMick View Post
Nice color choice! Congrats on the new truck.
Mick, thank you. I am really looking forward to picking it up!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #2613
RC4413 is on a distinguished road

RC4413's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCB600F View Post
Post a couple pics. MGMs are the best color
Mike, I will post some as soon as I get it. I still love the "Old Man Tan" on my '03. Haha.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #2614
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
lot of talk about lifts and such in this bad ass thred
but here is some food for thought

Recently I found my self a bit turned around in the La Sal Mountain range in utah
( near moab) I was trying to hook up to some trails and get to a camp spot that I had stayed at several years before.... the real problem was it was midnight and dark as shit

needless to say I got caught up in some decent off roading.
Now, I am no noob when it comes to driving trucks off road been doing it for a while for both my job and for personal reasons
I got my self on a sweet little diddy called the La Sal Pass road... needless to say I found my self in 4lo first gear going up mile after mile of rocky nasty sexy trail.
my truck is compleatly stock except for a topper, the sweet ass 30 clutter catcher from autozone and my ARE mid rise topper... and a ten of ten ply Danapro ATM's
the little reg cab worked like a champ, why did i not turn around you ask? because the trail dropped off the side of a hill and was too narrow. so i was stuck going up and up
these trucks handle some decent grades and a lot of crap we throw at them with nothing but a set of good tires and a driver with some common sense who is willing to go slow.
needless to say , I was impressed with the truck and any ideas of lifts and bigger tires were dashed. if I can handle 20 inches of standing snow and moab at midnight what do i really need?
a set of damn bright off road lights thats what, my head lights were pointing at the sky that my was my only real problem

reg cab taco 4x4 one very bad ass and capable truck... just how it is.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #2615
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
I guess what I am saying is that I was impressed by what a stock truck on a dry trail could do.
just like I was impressed with its deep snow performance

Sure lockers are great as well as lifts and such. all great tools if you need them.
if you drive your truck smart you can get a lot of places.
of course thats was not super hard core or anything thing but the little reg cab was great. that short wheel base was great, plenty of clearance. when you pick the right path

not my truck but sort of near the area I was in on the same trail.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8232/8...f48f70e1f2.jpg
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #2616
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdthiker View Post
I guess what I am saying is that I was impressed by what a stock truck on a dry trail could do.
just like I was impressed with its deep snow performance

Sure lockers are great as well as lifts and such. all great tools if you need them.
if you drive your truck smart you can get a lot of places.
of course thats was not super hard core or anything thing but the little reg cab was great. that short wheel base was great, plenty of clearance. when you pick the right path

not my truck but sort of near the area I was in on the same trail.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8232/8...f48f70e1f2.jpg
I have to agree a stock 4x4 reg cab with a set of tires is great for off road, especially when compared to other new trucks available. to be able to fit a beefy set of 265/75s on a stock truck is great. its not like a 2-2.5" lift changes the capability of the truck that much.

the auto-lsd might not look pretty in action but it'll get you there.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #2617
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eric
ortlie09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Elaborate on what you mean by, "drug on 32's where my friend with 33's didnt"
I would assume he drug the rear diff. I have 32s and got stuck on a rock on the same line a guy with 33s cleared a while back.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #2618
josh843 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
josh843's Tacoma Gallery
I'll play here's my old slut that I hate myself for for selling
First day I got it

Right when I sold it

Just the "fogs"
Old 06-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #2619
Needs money for mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulding88 View Post
I never really was a big fan of the white. I was looking for silver or black, but the white is starting to grow on me.
I think it would look badass if you bought the bumper and fenders in white and do a reg. cab Storm trooper build. I've always liked those.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #2620
Needs money for mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh843 View Post
I'll play here's my old slut that I hate myself for for selling
First day I got it

Right when I sold it

Just the "fogs"
Damn

Products Discussed in this Thread